The secrets of your food

(ianrobo) #21

you know what @daisy, I was not, found it pretty factual, and as I said before the aim was not to persuade people but to inform them.

They could have done more to talk about carbs and insulin etc but they did mention it.

Oh the latest Abel James podcast talked about just how good mushrooms are

(Michael Wallace Ellwood) #22

Was this a serious comment?

If soā€¦hmmā€¦ā€œShow me the scienceā€.

i.e. where is the evidence that there is no reason to worry about mercury in fish-stocks, and where is the evidence of a vegan connection to the misinformation?

Dr Mercola cautions against mercury in fish, and whatever Mercola is, I donā€™t think heā€™s dumb enough to be taken in by a bunch of vegans.

(ianrobo) #23

you would agree that Chris Kresser is a decent source

https://chriskresser.com/5-reasons-why-concerns-about-mercury-in-fish-are-misguided/

(Michael Wallace Ellwood) #24

Well, I wouldnā€™t necessarily agree with everything he says, but I agree heā€™s an honest source.
Thanks for the link, and it reminds me that Iā€™ve read similar articles by him in the past.
There is a lot there of interest thanks. I still think Iā€™d like a second opinion.

I think Iā€™d also like a bit of detailed evidence that most fish have more selenium than mercury (sounds a bit impreciseā€¦ā€œmoreā€ measured how exactly? By the gram? By the molecule? How many grams of selenium do you need to counteract 1 gram of mercury, for example?).

I found this quite interesting:

Is the mercury that finds its way into fish organic or inorganic? I have no idea, but Iā€™d hope that someone out there knows.

Edit: Meant to add that Iā€™ve actually been eating more fish lately, as it happens. Usually plaice fillet, but today bought some hake fillet. Also buy squid tubes from time to time.

(ianrobo) #25

I say this about Mercury but I am sure I heard a podcast on this recently Mike where the very subject was discussed and a scientist said what Kresser said and others.

I have no fears about eating 2/3 portions of fresh fish a week, I love the stuff smothered in butter.

(Arlene) #26

I can my own tuna. I purchase the smallest albacore tuna I can get off the boats. This is in the Pacific Northwest. Several years ago I sent off a few jars to a lab that tests for metals and other contaminants. At the levels listed on the report, I was advised to only consume one serving per week to be safe. You may not be concerned about Mercury, but I take these warnings very seriously. I do eat fish, but sparingly. Itā€™s very sad that our oceans are being destroyed.

Oh I got wound up by the consistent message that carbs are essential, thatā€™s all. It wasnā€™t a bad show over all though.