The Science Behind Dairy Preventing Weight Loss

(L. Amber O'Hearn) #21

Show me the science?

Oh dear. I think Iā€™m in the same boat! Dairy has carried me through these past couple months but I suspect all the cheese and cream (is butter considered dairy?) is the reason Iā€™m stuck after 16 pounds. It is my crunch in cheese crisps, my ooey-gooey deliciousness on eggs and zoodles, my taco shells and pepperoni pizza base!
Following with interest and curious if it really is something that blocks the loss.

How are you limiting your dairy? What do you allow and how much a day?

(momzbusy2012) #24

I donā€™t believe this is so because I didnā€™t start the extended fasting until a month ago and it is actually the only thing Iā€™ve done to move the scale. If anything, itā€™s actually beneficial to my weight loss. I have done 16/8ā€™s and alternate day fasting and it is not enough to move the scale in the right direction.

(momzbusy2012) #25

I think for me, Iā€™m going to have to cut it out completely to see if it makes a difference. Iā€™m considering going 30 days without it (as well as sweeteners) to what happens.

Iā€™m going for my first actual fast, so there wonā€™t be dairy or nuts and I donā€™t use sweeteners but very rarely anywayā€¦for me it was bread-stuffs!
Hoping this will help me step away from my cheese obsession.
Keep posting on what you discover. And thank you for the link to the article

(Mark) #27

Yeah I was just offering an avenue you could explore not offering a medical opinion,I had read that you were already working with a healthcare provider ,just trying to be helpful and of service just brainstorming,another forum member asked me for the science and I have not had time to respond back to her yet,not sure if youā€™ve heard of Dr Sara Gottfried you can find her on YouTube she explores the connection between hormones in women and cortisol and many other topics and fasting and how it affects men and women differently, there are also studies on some of the largest fasting populations on the planet for Ramadan and how it affects their health and performance, Iā€™pray that you find your answer soon,I fast on a regular basis and have never felt better

In general, Iā€™ve replaced HWC with coconut oil and/or milk.

I limit to a few ounces of cheese, such as cheddar, some heaving whipping cream (HWC) as well as a couple of tablespoons of sour cream that I use to make blue cheese dressing; rarely all that on the same day, but thatā€™s been the maximum on any one day.

ā€¦ with the occasional exception of 1/2 cup of HWC when I make Carlā€™s Chocolate Mousse :wink:

(Genevieve Biggs) #29

I would eliminate veggies before dairy, personally. The fiber, even minimally in Keto-approved veggies, can feed gut issues that stall fat loss, as well as cause inflammation. But vegetables are so widely accepted that people donā€™t think of them as a problem usually.

Thatā€™s what I was thinking (regarding IF).

(ketohealthclub) #31

Yes, there are so many individual reasons to stall. I have Hashimotoā€™s and thyroid nodules, and am insulin resistant. I fast three days a week and drink coffee with heavy cream and eat extra sharp cheddar on my ā€œfeastā€ days. My weight loss and healthy markers seem fine. If I stall, I think personally Iā€™ll decrease my fat and watch my protein (sources and amount) more closely. So many things to tweak. You sound like someone who will eventually find what works for you.

(Mark) #32

From what Iā€™ve been reading to understand my own deranged metabolism, cortisol is a stress hormone responsible for the fight or flight response which is released by the adrenals and when you fast your body kicks this in action so you get up and start searching for food so you donā€™t starve to death not knowing that food is readily available everywhere unlike in caveman days ,and all of this can impact blood sugar because when you fast your blood sugar can drop to low and cortisol has the ability to raise blood sugar if it falls to low through gluconeogenesis,now I use fasting very effectively but I donā€™t need to tell you men and women are different and hormones affect us differently,everything from glucagon, epinephrine,norepinephrine, growth hormone,and if your blood sugar and hormones are spiking that can potentially cause problems with weight loss stalls ,so women may have a harder time with fasting when it comes to hormones ,Chris Kresser has a good article, intermittent fasting, cortisol and blood sugar ,and not sure if you have read any of Dr Sara Gottfriedā€™s work but sheā€™s a Harvard trained gynecologist who has some pretty good information on hormones ,I can site many scientific studies I just donā€™t have space to list them all here but i donā€™t follow studies blindly anyway because my first question is always who funded the study and how was the study done,for every study I find saying sugar is bad I can find one that says itā€™s good same goes for coffee,meat,you name it,hope this help and hope you have an amazing 2017 keep calm and keto on

(Meeping up the Science!) #33

I do as well. For us, dairy can often aggravate the autoimmune response, as well as gluten. I was dubious, however eliminating gluten caused by antibodies to drop from over 20,000 to half that. Dairyā€™s removal knocked then from around 10,000 to 200. Sadly, I allowed HWC to return, though I am cutting it out once more. However, Hashimotoā€™s definitely benefits from being as dairy free as possible.

Itā€™s important because it causes a reduction in systemic inflammation; our AI disorder causes us issues past the thyroid, too.

(momzbusy2012) #34

I have thyroid nodules too but my TSH was on the low side prior to starting natural desiccated thyroid. My HS CRP was moderate in range and my Homocysteine was 9.3 but the dr said she likes to see that between 6-8. So I do have inflammation and I am hypothyroid. FYI went dairy free and sweetener free as of yesterdayā€¦fingers crossed itā€™ll make a difference with my weight loss!

(barrytspencer) #35

Try a week , or a 30 day period without it and record your numbers and/or progress?

(Keto Troll) #36

Do you fast? And have you considered going zero carb? I know that fasting helps me lose weight and Iā€™ve heard that some people lose weight on zero carb.

(momzbusy2012) #37

Yes, I do an extended fast with my last meal being Thursday evening and my fast is broken on Monday morning. This is the ONLY way the scale will move. However, I am guilty of have HWC in my Starbucks, which as most know doesnā€™t make this a true fast. Even with that, I have lost. I have started a 30 day experiment by eliminating dairy (except butter) and sweeteners. This means no iced coffee for me :frowning: but I will temporarily give it up until I reach my goal weight if it wakes a difference and see how it goes.

(Ross Daniel) #38

This has me thinkingā€¦Iā€™m sure there is a good iced bulletproof coffee recipe out thereā€¦Obviously you couldnā€™t use butter due to the re-solidifying in the cold coffee. But, have you tried coconut milk? Or if not sensitive to nuts, unsweetened almond milk? Add that plus some MCT oil or something pop it in a blender and give it a whiz. Then pour over ice.

(L. Amber O'Hearn) #39

I would have to disagree with this. It would be a very abnormal response for blood sugar to go so low that cortisol has to kick in to activate gluconeogenesis. Glucagon kicks in way before it gets to that level. You would know, because severe hypoglycemia would occur (anxiety, palpitations, hunger, sweating, irritability, tremor; or in more extreme cases, dizziness, tingling, blurred vision, difficulty in thinking, and faintness). I wrote an article about this here: Ketogenic Diets, Cortisol, and Stress: Part I ā€” Gluconeogenesis.

The article is about fed ketosis, and I concede that there is a higher likelihood of it happening during fasting. In fact, itā€™s been reported sometimes in children who are fasted in preparation for ketogenic therapy for epilepsy. Again, though, if this is happening to you, youā€™ll know. It wonā€™t be a silent side-effect.

(momzbusy2012) #40

I havenā€™t found a coconut milk that doesnā€™t curdle up when iced. What I have found is Quest Powdered MCT Oil and they also have a powdered coconut oil. The coconut oil blends well in the hot coffee and keeps well blended when poured over ice. The only problem is it not completely dairy free and has corn fiber in it. However, I respect Dom Dā€™Agostino, PhD and he supports the use of this product. What Iā€™m thinking about doing is going dairy free for 30 days and try to introduce this powder and see how it affects me. Hereā€™s an interesting link:

https://ketosource.co.uk/mct-powder/#products