The Science Behind Dairy Preventing Weight Loss

(momzbusy2012) #1

Has anyone researched the science behind dairy causing weight loss stalls? I’m on a search for answers. I love dairy :frowning:

(momzbusy2012) #2

Here’s one article I found. Looks like it’s due to the insulin response, despite the carb content. I guess I need to see the science to convince myself to give dairy up for good, at least during the weight loss phase.

(John Nunez) #3

I don’t necessarily think dairy has the same effect on all people. Of course, if you’re contending with a plateue for longer than a month it should be one of many items to consider. I found that if you’re more particular with what dairy to consume and portion sizes it doesn’t stall weight-loss for me. Also, I intermittent fast so since your body is going to have an insulin response regardless what you eat, if I only eat two times a day in a 6 hour window, the minimal insulin response from the dairy is fine in the grand scheme of things.

(momzbusy2012) #4

I really do enjoy my dairy and I believe I would be able to add it back after I reach my goal.

(John Nunez) #5

What dairy? Can you stick to just hard cheeses like sharp cheddar? Butter doesn’t count, HWC is very minimal on the inside index.

(momzbusy2012) #6

I have had an extraordinarily hard time losing weight. Sticking to this WOE is actually not a problem for me. It makes no sense why I don’t lose. I honestly don’t know if dairy is a problem for me until I completely eliminate it. I do have HWC in my Starbucks coffee. I heard butter actually can cause issues, depending on the level of a person’s sensitivity whereas ghee may not cause problems. I guess I won’t know until I test it by eliminating it all.

(John Nunez) #7

The ghee vs butter has to do with dairy proteins and not insulin and the protein is so minimal in butter that I doubt this is the cause for your stall. I would consider investigating other factors such as sleep quality, estrogen levels, cortisol levels, etc. Have you tried intermittent fasting with Keto? This helped my wife and I break through plateaus.

(momzbusy2012) #8

I’m currently under the care of a Functional MD who is treating me for my thyroid, supporting my adrenals, and reducing inflammation. She also recommends eliminating dairy but I have not done so yet. Doc Nally says there are 22 hormones related to weight loss so it’s very hard to tell what is doing what in preventing weight loss. I have also had my fasting insulin, leptin, and A1C tested and I am definitely weight loss resistant.

(Kelly Gallagher) #9

I’d like to know more about this as well. I have seen multiple people in groups doing no dairy for a few days and the difference was pretty shocking for such a short time. I’m sure I would be one of those people that would benefit from no dairy since everything seems to affect me . grrrr

(L. Amber O'Hearn) #10

The higher insulin to glucagon ratio is probably the best theory we have.

If we’re talking cheese or yoghurt, then histamines may be a player (I have some degree of histamine sensitivity), or something else consequent to the fermentation.

(John Nunez) #11

@momzbusy2012 Well, it’s sounds like you’ve been extremely diligent in tackling all the most common offenders so maybe it is dairy for you :frowning: I still would give IF a go. For several people that I help with this WOE, this was the only way for them to really get the Keto train moving.

(momzbusy2012) #12

I do an extended fast from Thursday night thru Monday morning. This is the ONLY way my body will drop the weight. It is extremely frustrating but I just have to keep going.

Dr Westin Child’s is a functional MD as well and I find his articles very good info. Here’s one for you to look at… Thyroid etc…

The typical reason I see is because of auto immune concerns rather than any anti ketogenic properties, except for milk and whey.

Maybe @Donna has more information.

(seanrichardson96) #15

I find dairy products to be bloating and mess with my BM’s , also I find it makes me all around sluggish .

(Meeping up the Science!) #16

I never saw it for weight loss. It’s for autoimmune reasons or lactose intolerance. Regarding autoimmunity, it is thought to contribute to the worsening of the AI response via the gut permeability issues the same way gluten does.

As for weight loss, unless you have autoimmune issues or lactose intolerance, dairy away?

Or is that awhey >.>

So although there are people with the obvious lactose and/or casein intolerances/allergies/sensitivities and the possibility that there’s something insuligenic, if someone doesn’t have any of the previous issues, another likely cause is how it is affecting gut permeability (aka leaky gut).

It’s not scientific, but Maria Emmerich is a low-carb nutritional consultant that claims many clients who can’t seem to lose weight on LCHF/keto, get past it when eliminating any dairy, including ghee. I think that IF would probably work for those people too, but she doesn’t address that one way or the other.

It seems like the deck is stacked against dairy for many people and I’m one where I have to limit it. I don’t seem to have the lactose/casein issues, but I definitely seem to have leaky gut issues from it.

(momzbusy2012) #18

I agree! I really like Dr. Childs and stumbled upon him out of desperation. So many people on the boards were having success and I couldn’t figure out why I couldn’t lose no matter what changes I made. Listening to him is what prompted me to seek out professional help. I’m so glad I did because I do have elevated fasting leptin and insulin levels as well as borderline hypothyroidism, which I am now on a natural desiccated thyroid medication. We are still trying to tweak the dosage. I also had a thyroid ultrasound due to an enlarged thyroid (very common) and apparently I have nodules that she would like to test again in a year to see if they grow. They are too small to biopsy at this time. Needless to say, I think there are many in my situation that are not finding success but it is not due to non-compliance.

Weight Loss Plateau & Inflammatory hysteresis & HOMA-IR
(Meeping up the Science!) #19

I think many more people have permeable gut issues causing autoimmune bloat. I limit it and immediately have improvement, but I also have several of the autoimmune conditions that benefit from elimination. I still have a smidge in moderation when I can.

(Mark) #20

Just a guess but from what I’ve read your Thursday to Monday fast could be the culprit ,fasting gives off a stress response which raises cortisol levels ,if you still want to fast you could try every other day or 16/8,and just like weight lifting your body is smart and adjusts to your changes so you might need to mix things up every so often,keep us updated on your progress