The Perfect Intermittent Fasting Ratio for the Most Weight Loss (Fat Burning)

(Doug) #61

Charles, lower insulin is definitely good for losing weight and many other things too. For weight loss being aided by lower insulin levels, I’d think the fewer meals the better. For weight-training, I’m not sure. I know that after longer fasts - those of some days in length, anyway - the body increases the amount of growth hormone.

Dr. Fung mentions growth hormone increasing by 1250% after 26 days of fasting - though this was only one person being studied. Fung mentions another study where the average was a 400% increase in growth hormone in response to a five day fast.

I found this:

https://www.jci.org/articles/view/113450

On the ‘Control’ day, the meals (The 'M’s on the chart) pretty much damp down growth hormone secretion. There’s much more secretion on fasting days, though it remains quite pulsatile. Most people have a notable increase of growth hormone during the morning.

(Bunny) #62

Fasting enhances growth hormone secretion and amplifies the complex rhythms of growth hormone secretion in man: “…We conclude that the acute nutritional status is an important determinant of spontaneous pulsatile GH secretion in man. Fast-induced enhancement of GH release is achieved through combined frequency (discrete pulses) and amplitude (sinusoidal periodicities) modulation. Such alterations in somatotropic hormone release may play an important role in substrate homeostasis during starvation. …” … More

Simply having more choline and maybe methionine from natural food sources in the diet (“acute nutritional status”) prior to the fast (not just Citicoline-CDP-Choline - man made stuff below) could probably increase the GH levels (in a single spike/hike duration peak) on those time sequenced study (fasting) charts\graphs? And decreasing the fasting days needed to increase GH levels? (my crazy theory :crazy_face: …lol)

Effects of cytidine 5’-diphosphocholine administration on basal and growth hormone-releasing hormone-induced growth hormone secretion in elderly subjects. “…These studies demonstrate that cytidine 5’-diphosphocholine can enhance basal and GHRH-stimulated GH release in the elderly, but the mechanism of action of the drug remains unclear. …”

Note: Dr. Eric Berg - “…Your intestinal flora (friendly bacteria) have a lot to do with absorbing choline so if there is an inbalance you may not even absorb choline. Choline works closely with purified bile salts to break down fats. …” …More

One n=1 way to determine your transit time is to eat something that stains. For example I went through a beet eating phase pre keto. TMI I know but my poop would reflect that for 24 - 36 hours and then go back to normal. It was scary until I realized what it was

(charlie3) #64

The thread title should really be perfect intermittent fasting for overall health including weight loss. What if the perfect fasting for weight loss means you live till your 99 but the way you got rid of the fat also got rid of so much muscle you spend 20 years in an old folks home because you;re not strong enough to live independantly. That’s what I’m thinking about.

Keto and fasting are brilliant but how do I do them so II can still benefit from strength training? Keto and fasting helped me get my waist line and weight down almost to high school days. Now I want to put it all back as muscle. Vanity is part of it of course but delaying infiirmity has to be priority one.

Diet and exercise are just another way to save for retirement.

(Consensus is Politics) #65

Colon cancer scare coincides with National Eat Beets day. :rofl:

• been there

:joy:

(Mother of Puppies ) #67

Can you tell me more about this? How did you do it? (What fasting protocol?)

I’m just starting ADF and it seems to be great at trimming waistline.

Surely fat takes most calories and time to digest?

(Karen) #69

From what I hear ADF beats OMAD hands down. Started again yesterday. Feasting day today. Whoot!!!

K

(Vincent Hall) #70

What works for you beats the other, it’s not the same for everyone.
\v/

(TJ Borden) #71

I still just try to mix it up. Ever since Megan Ramos talked about it, I’ve been trying not to do any ONE thing for more than 3-4 days at a time. I mix it up between OMAD, ADF, EF, and 16:8.

It also makes it easier to “live”. If I have a lunch meeting pop up, I just roll with it and eat lunch. If I end up in a situation where I can’t really avoid a carby meal, I roll right into an EF.

The scale goes up and down, but I’ve been doing it long enough, a bounce of a few pounds up doesn’t bother me. It’s still trending down overall. And my high bounce point now is lower than my lowest point a couple months ago. KCKO

(Vincent Hall) #72

Completely agree, we were not designed to be stuck in a rut.
\v/

(Alec) #73

I know what you mean, I still can’t quite believe the weight I am now… I have to pinch myself sometimes to make sure I am not dreaming. :grin::grin:

(Wendy) #74

What is ADF? I can’t seem to remember that one.

(TJ Borden) #75

Alternate Day Fasting

(Bunny) #76

ADF = Burning up the leucine et al. from last nights dimmer!

Yes there sure is great variation. My doc once described me as having a “rapid transit system.” It’s quite a bit less than 24 hours. You’d think I’d be skinny as hell, but no such luck.