The most surprising hidden carbs?

Im just getting so discouraged. I keep finding so many things I can’t eat :frowning:

(Candy Lind) #42

NO. You are NOT discouraged, you are ENLIGHTENED! You keep finding so many things that were POISONING YOU, and now they can’t do it to you any more. You can find/make/create a healthy replacement. It’s all in how you look at it. You can still have that cream, you just have to know what’s in it and count the carbs.

(Karen Parrott) #43

Cold meds and cough drops. I learned the hard way in 2011

(Candy Lind) #44

You know, I used to HATE raw tomatoes when I was a kid, but I LOVED tomato cooked in things like spaghetti and sauce on pizza. As an adult, I learned to like them raw, and now I’m having to back off on them going keto. Is that what they mean by yo-yo dieting? :rofl::stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

(Candy Lind) #45

I’m glad you mentioned this, because I need to check all that stuff and buy sugar-free varieties before I need them. I know if I’m feeling bad I won’t go out for new meds. Thanks!

(Karen) #46

Seasoned pepper. One of it’s seasonings is sugar. :confused:

(Stacey) #47

I just realized some of my favorite deli meats like salami and pepperoni have dextrose. Has anyone noticed this? I’m hoping it’s too small of an amount to worry about. What what do you think?

(Candy Lind) #48

Deli meats, even the dried/aged ones, are full of not just ‘-oses’ but other crap; my personal philosophy is to keep them to a minimum unless you can find some that are made the old-fashioned way without additives and preservatives (and would need more care to keep from spoilage). My leaky gut is healing - why would I want to ingest more of what broke it in the first place? In the meantime, be careful how you count carbs in stuff like that - you may need to count more than they state on the label because of the ‘-oses’.

I would not say you can not eat them but rather items to investigate and determine if they are raising your sugar or slowing your weight loss or giving you other symptoms. Personally I still have deli meat and tomato sauce and cheese. Am I rapidly losing weight? Not really but I know there is a downward trend and I can live with this. Sometimes you do not realize

My nose has been running quite a bit lately and it is not a cold. I feel great but it is starting to annoy me. I wonder if it is all the cheese I eat! Here I thought cheese did not bother me because I eat a lot and do not gain weight or bloat. If that is what it is I will live with, not giving up cheese!

Other than macadamia nuts, I get all my nuts raw from Trader Joes. I limit myself to those and pecans, walnuts, brazil nuts and pine nuts as others are too high in carbs.

:tangerine: Oranges

I was craving one so bad and there is a lot of flu going around so I thought -why not?

We can slip a bit with fruit now and then, especially if we account for the carbs in our macros for that day. Right?

But…15g net carbs!! Woah.

(I immediately wanted another one. Oh, addictive sugar!)

(Candy Lind) #51

Those last 3 words are the key, and why you should avoid fruit as you get started on keto. THAT is “why not.” I’m a sugar addict, I know. If I had said “why not” to an orange in my first week or two, it would have been like toppling off the top of the Matterhorn for me. So, I don’t do it. It gets easier and easier as you go on, until you can say no to the donut box at work, the wedding cake at your high-school friend’s wedding, the sugary cocktails at Friday night Happy Hour, the birthday cake that shows up every month in the break room, etc. etc. etc. ad infinitum. I have lived successfully without sugar for over 7 months and expect to live without it until I’m 6 feet under. YOU CAN, TOO!

Thank you @CandyLindTX :heart: Very welcome encouragement and advice from a fellow sugar addict. Love it. And need it!

Xo

(Candy Lind) #53

I didn’t know at first that I should be counting about .5 g carb per egg that I eat. The rules for nutrition labeling are abominable; you have to either get The Complete Book of Food Counts or count on the “slop factor” allowed in the labeling process - ie., whenever you see 0 on a label, you might have to count .5 g. When they say < 1, it might be better to just count 1. It’s frustrating and infurating.

(Stacey) #54

I did not know about the 0.5 g carb per egg. Where does the carb come from?

(Mark Rhodes) #55

Have you found any inflammatory issues with aspartame?

(Candy Lind) #56

My best guess is from what they eat. (shrug)

(Candy Lind) #57

Here is one article that names 56 names for sugar found in ingredient lists. I’m certain there are upwards of 60. I’ll keep digging & see if I can find a better list.
Women’s Health - different names for sugar

Oysters! A tin of smoked oysters has 8g! I was shocked.

(CharleyD) #59

I was just about to say oysters! There was a discussion here on why… rigor mortis is the muscles last burn up of their glycogen, but if you’re a little shellfish that doesn’t do rigor upon death, the glycogen is still there.

Oh interesting! I am eating them anyway, because my BG testing is showing that I may need more iron…