The most surprising hidden carbs?

(Tim W) #21

Yes, yes, and yes! Great point. I find that coke zero (ACE-K) causes a glucose spike and carb cravings, however, diet coke (aspartame) isn’t an issue for me.

Some more intel here:
http://www.sensiblemedicalsolutions.com/sweeteners.html

Some great tips here but the bottom line (for me) is that the label doesn’t lie. If something has sugar or one of it’s many other names like dextrose/agave/cane juice etc. then we put it back on the shelf.

Whole foods with carbs don’t worry me at all. Onions/garlic/avocado/etc I eat without concern. I might limit those foods that get sweeter when cooked (onions are one) but I’ll eat them raw on a salad etc.

You might find that the longer you eat this way, the simpler your diet gets, the less variety you eat BUT the foods that you do eat will likely be whole foods that are loaded with nutrition. My wife used to believe she enjoyed a large variety in diet, now, after a year of keto, she’s good with steak and eggs or a burger with avocado, maybe some chicken wings, and repeat…

Best wishes for 2018!

(Andrew) #22

Almost all bacon has sugar in it. Makes my BG soar for a few minutes. Much better with no sugar uncured bacon.

Tomatoes are my downfall. They seem so harmless.

(Michael ) #23

Yeah, more pricey but better for you and usually nitrate free too. Alternatively, you can just buy a pork belly

(Lynne Hurley Perry) #24

Onions! Love them chopped into hamburgers. I have not eliminated them but reduced the amount and add some onion powder.

While eating out for a holiday work lunch, I ordered a chedder bacon omelette sans hashbrowns. Seems like it would be keto but the bacon was sugared. You never know when u go out to eat. Sometimes I bring my own oil and vinegar when I go out to eat so I am not guessing.

(Karen) #25

I use the natural, un cured at Safeway, too, pretty good. No sugars

(Michael ) #26

And price is not unreasonable. Just downed three of those brats cooked in bacon grease with asparagus and sauerkraut. A truly balanced keto meal

(A ham loving ham! - VA6KD) #27

Sausage often contains fillers too like wheat products (flour)…they can add up quickly.

Edit: Disregard. Sorry! I see that other’s have already mentioned this as well…I should learn to read to the end of a thread before firing off! :smile:

(Sophie) #28

Some Meds contain sugar too like that Nyquil stuff and I’m pretty sure cough drops do too. :sneezing_face::face_with_thermometer::mask:

(Michael ) #29

Not to mention alcohol!! The last time i was sick…been a long time, i wasn’t worried about sugar but was standing in walmart at 2 am trying to figure out which nighttime meds didn’t contain any alcohol. Turns out, the ones that don’t work very well don’t contain alcohol. So, most people aren’t concerned so just like sugar, labeling can be misleading. For a diabetic or alcoholic, easy to understand labeling is essential. I’m hoping the keto trend continues and companies come around. It’s easy to point the finger at corporations but they only make what consumers demand. Everyone got scared of fat in the 70s so they started replacing it with sugar. People wanted cheapest price, so they used subsidized high fructose corn syrup. The best way to shake things up would be switching subsidies to beef and broccoli…that would sure screw with the status quo

I wonder if thet would find a way to genetically modify brocolli to be sweet and cause cancer? History would suggest that it’s likely :joy:

Newbie here. You said you found out cheese was a big no". Why is that? Thanks

(Michael ) #31

Lactose is essentially sugar. Aged cheeses and yogurt have less lactose

Besides, most people are lactose intolerant even if they don’t realize. The symptoms may be mucous, diarrhea, constipation or inflammation symptoms. Most people don’t get immediate gas and discomfort so don’t realize it’s the root cause of their problems. These reactions are either from lactose or casein. Dairy from goats is different so may be tolerated

About the only people genetically suited for dairy are from Scandinavia

(Jeffie Lynn Mc Kay) #32

do you test your bs with an at home glucometer just for reference? I’m not diabetic, but is that something I should be watching. (new)

(mike) #33

I do. I test blood sugar and ketones. I’m very analytical and love numbers. It also is a great way to see how food and sleep impact your numbers. I know diet soda is a negative for me because my ketones tend to stay lower when I have had some. Lower ketones can mean higher insulin.

(Michael ) #34

I went crazy on stevia, erythritol and cheese for holiday season and dropped out of ketosis completely. I like zevia sodas and fathead pizza but going tp abstain for awhile while I work towards my body weight goals

(Karen) #35

CASHEWS. Arrgghhh. Ate a cup. More carbs than I thought

(Michael ) #36

My big concern with nuts is they’re usually cooked in omega 6 heavy industrial seed oils. When you follow a paleo keto eating plan, the small selection of edible gas station treats gets smaller. Sunflower seeds are usually a safe bet and sometimes they have sugar and nitrate free jerky. There’s one convenience store near my work that has rotisserie chickens for 5 bucks so that’s pretty awesome

(Candy Lind) #37

I was completely disgusted when I ordered ribs at a famous BBQ place here and they were coated with some kind of sugary crap. :face_with_symbols_over_mouth: I peeled them and ate the inside and left the sugar on the plate. Thank goodness the brisket wasn’t tainted!

(Candy Lind) #38

You have to really watch it with salad dressings. I make most of my own these days to insure that they have 1/2 g of carb or less per 2 Tbsp.

OMG I didn’t know this! I literally POUR HC in my BPC in the morning, and at night I eat maybe a mugful of HWC with sugar free pudding mix mixed in !

Yep, it’s a slippery slope lady. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but at least now you know instead of wondering why you’re stalling at some point!