The holidays - will you extend your food choices?

oh boy time for this carnivore to bow out of the thread :slight_smile:
LOL
no use for keto recipes for me HAHA

Fangs, LOL.

(Eric - The patient needs to be patient!) #66

For Thanksgiving and likely the same for Christmas it is going to be Prime Rib Roast. We asked out guests if that was okay and they said sure. One said, anything but hot dogs :rofl:

A proper diet is health. Why would I go away from health?

Be sure to set another plate at the table…this sounds so delish I am coming for some :slight_smile:

I love your attitude. I am one to put my plan first over food. I so get that.

(Eric - The patient needs to be patient!) #68

Fangs,

We are going to get a 6 or 7 bone roast at Thanksgiving. #keto for the win.

oh boy. that actually excites me. A big old standing prime rib roast is just the cat’s meow :slight_smile:

I ain’t kidding that big delish hunks of meat like this actually make me happy! Doing up the holidays right!!

(Marianne) #70

Hi Susan,

I have made this a couple of times for my husband and had a couple teaspoons myself to try. It tasted too much like coconut for me. I don’t mind coconut, but not when my intent is to make vanilla ice cream.

No, not extending… but I’m a grouchy old curmudgeon and set in my ways.

Well, I may have some preserved meats like pepperoni, salami, or prosciutto but I’m not stepping outside carnivore. The people who know me personally know that offering me a bite of cake isn’t going to entice me one bit and after I’ve politely declined once or twice I have no qualms about hurting someone’s feelings for pushing something on me that I know is pure poison to me.

I appreciate this discussion. I’m not sure what to make for Thanksgiving but it will be carnivore. Ribeye and lobster tail sounds good but so does a big roast. Then again, what about turkey? Anybody have a yummy carnivore recipe for that? Mine always included homemade dressing which is obviously out. Decisions, decisions…

(Susan) #73

Oh, okay, well I love Coconut icecream so that is okay with me, hehe. Thanks for the information =).

I see. Coconut milk. I dislike canned coconut milk and only sometimes have homemade one in my coffee or something. Coconut milk isn’t very good in itself… And it’s too thin for an ice cream, I would think, maybe coconut cream is fatty enough but I don’t have experience with that and there’s still the problem of taste…

Which takeaway curries did you have? I am mindful that with takeaways and restaurant food there’s no way of knowing how much sugar is in there but I would still like to ‘believe’ that I have chosen the safest (least sugar) options :crossed_fingers:

never was a fan of turkey. I just find it mostly tasteless. Our family gave up turkey many years ago for standing rib roast, filet mignon, lobster, even once a monster roasted chicken for holidays. Turkey just lost it around here. No one really liked it LOL

(Andrea) #77

I like going for the mixed grill or tandoori meat. It is likely to be the lowest sugar (I presume). Sometimes I’d have paneer curry as well. I avoid rice, breads etc and so presume that there’s not likely to be a huge amount of sugar/carbs in the rest (but it’ll be something…more than I’d usually eat). My Christmas hols are usually spent walking round cities in the cold. Does wonders for burning up those extra carbs!! :slight_smile:

(Eric - The patient needs to be patient!) #78

We have given up turkey for beef mostly on the holidays. Turkey is a lot of work for dry meat. Rib roasts, ribeye steaks, etc. Yummy!

yea you said it LOL
a lot of oven time for dry meat…I agree :slight_smile: no flavor meat also!

beef tops turkey any day in my book

I get more and more curious about beef. I have no idea what it is like, my Mom only did beef soup and I found the meat too dry… I always was in love with pork, I went vegetarian (due to chicken every Sunday and basically no other meat, I had enough) and later almost vegetarian (I blame salmon, that’s my other favorite) so I wasn’t even particularly interested but I guess it must stop now. I actually never ate steak in my life. Maybe I should change that. At least I won’t think about that dry, not very tasty stuff in the soup when I read “beef” here.

I ate turkey once, it was boring. I’m usually not good with birds though I don’t say no for a very good home raised chicken once a year at my aunt. I just needed 20 years without chicken after my childhood too rich in chicken, it was a bit traumatic.

You run out and get a fresh ribeye steak. Don’t overcook…just pink ya know and not turn it into leather by overfrying that thing and you will fall in love and be so satisfied. Your body will love ya for it.

Yeah, I’m no fan of turkey. It’s too much work to make it taste like anything other than cardboard.
Well, an exception to that for any greens eaters - put a smoked turkey wing in the instant pot with your greens. I don’t eat them anymore but I found that to be tasty when I did.
Now, a nice, fatty cut of beef is another story. It requires nothing special beyond maybe a little salt just don’t overcook it.

Okay, I try to keep my overfrying tendencies in check (I have those, quite seriously. I don’t consider it overfrying, I just want my food fried as well as possible without turning it to charcoal). But I understand a steak must be juicy and I didn’t even overfried my salmon in the one case I actually prepared meat (I could consider it overfried as I prefer it raw but it takes some fresh salmon so I fried mine and it was good, just different).
But I try it out at some place first. It will take time to get proper meat anyway, I have a good source but not all the time.