The heck with eating KFC, FAST FOOD CHICKEN, ETC?

(Allie) #9

Personally I don’t eat fast food for the exact reasons you mention. Occasionally I will have Indian but I know where I get it from uses ghee rather than vegetable oils.

(Laurie) #10

I think the general idea is that you can eat these things in a pinch. Let’s say it isn’t practical to pack a lunch for work, or you’re traveling, or you want to eat out with friends or family. . . . Okay, fine, go to that fast food place. It isn’t as good as eating real food, but you can minimize the damage by eating a burger without the bun, etc., etc.

Such blogs and so on aren’t evil. They’re addressing the fact that some people are going to eat in these places and maybe haven’t thought about how to avoid carbs. They might not know you can order items without the wrap, you can substitute vegetables for pasta, and in most fast food places you can ask for the ingredients list or nutrition info.

(Allie) #11

The people who post these things are sharing what they’ve found to work for them, that’s all any of us can do. If they are happy consuming less than optimal ingredients in order to be able to stick to keto somehow that’s their choice and for all we know, it may still be vastly superior to their former way of eating.

You could be one of the people who need this type of crutch, even if temporary, and if you are then don’t feel bad about it. Just keep focused on the long term improvement that we all seek.

(Terence Dean) #12

No, not since going Keto, check my profile.

‘Hi I’m Terry, I’m a KFC junk food addict and I’ve been clean for 35 weeks and 0 days’…:stuck_out_tongue:

I use it as motivation to stay away from that shit. I spent the last 30 years eating crap like that, so I’m not about to go back and sabotage my achievements on keto. Besides I don’t even miss it and that’s saying something.

(Terence Dean) #13

If you really must have a replacement for KFC why not try out the 2dudes :richard: :carl: Ketoky Fried Chicken recipe, I hear its supposed to be great. They recommend frying in tallow!

If you have the time, instead of going to a fast food restaurant…go to the local grocery store and get some lunch meat, cheese, nuts, etc…

(Carl Keller) #15

You can survey 1 million people and an overwhelming percentage would say “Fat causes fat and salt is bad for you”, but that doesn’t make it true. So many are guilty or victims of misinformation so try to avoid the flock mentality. Do your own research when in doubt.

I bet those high view videos were mostly visited by hopeful people, not necessarily people who were convinced the paradoxical titles were true. I could probably publish a video on YT titled “Eat Donuts Every Day and Lose Weight” and lure in a million viewers in in no time.

(Hyperbole- best thing in the universe!) #16

There are two issues here that should not be conflated. What is keto? What is healthy? These are not the same question.

What is keto? Under 20 grams carbs (0-50 grams depending who you ask. 20 is a nice place to start and see what works for you.) Adequate protein. Fat to satiety. THAT IS IT.

What is healthy? That is a more complicated question. Do your own research, make your own decisions.

People also have very different circumstances. Perhaps you have access, time and funds for the best of everything. Bully for you! That is fantastic. But don’t let perfect be the enemy of good.

Just like any way of eating different people do things to different degrees. Many of us here because of the general vibe of the forum are a lot more aware of a lot of the science behind it, listen to the podcast, hear what people and doctors in the fields are researching etc, more so than your typical keto’r I’d think.

I’ve personally never been big on fast food thanks to my teenage career working in it, but the reality is that the insignificant amounts of sugars in spices aren’t going to screw with us in (almost) all cases. Unless it’s some BBQ sauce thats 50% brown sugar or something but we’d assume that one I think. Many people don’t / can’t want to cook everything from fresh, eat organic, eat nitrite free bacon etc. Keto still works fine for them. On the Veggie Oil, Canola may be a disaster, and Soy may or may or may not be terrible for us and we know it’s high in Omega 6’s BUT Vegetable Oil IS ketogenic!

On the small amount of corn starch or micro dose of sugar from some fried chicken, that wouldn’t stop me. I’ve never seen those ignoreable amounts of stuff cause an issue with either blood sugar or ketones. The reality is if you’re not a T2D, battling bad autoimmune issues, or some other medical reason for eating this way you DO have some wiggle room. To really start causing damage you’d have to eat enough carbs to reload your liver, store your fill in muscles, then start spilling over and storing as fat. Now a “normal” carb-y meal CAN do that in many cases depending on what it is, but that’s very different the 3g of sugar from some spice. Between my protein blend, and my pre and post workout every day I get 13g of carbs that I don’t count because it causes no issues. It’s around the gym what little it give me gets incinerated immediately during my workout so what’s the point of going crazy about it? The only thing I tell people to be cautious about is eating foods that may trigger cravings or a binge that could take you off the wagon long term. I don’t see fried chicken or ribs doing that, but everybody’s different.

(Karen) #18

Do I eat fast food. Not any more. Although I’ve had a bun less subway BMT… meat , cheese, veg, mustard

(squirrel-kissing paper tamer) #19

I haven’t had fast food since starting in September but I will admit I’ve been crabby and hungry and driving past and I’ve begun to think about my options, like does Burger King put fillers in their burgers or even if I take the skin off of a piece of fried chicken from a work catered lunch would there still be hidden carbs in it?

For now I’m still counting carbs and if I can’t know then I can’t track.

(Jane) #20

I travel a lot for my job so tend to eat out a lot. I will stock my hotel fridge with meats and cheeses but in airports, long drives my choices are eat out or fast.

I avoid fast food most of the time… but the other evening I just couldn’t face any more beef and had a craving for Wendy’s chicken nuggets of all things. I never ate them before keto and they aren’t that good but that didn’t matter.

I looked them up and Chronometer said 14 carbs for 6. I hadn’t had hardly any carbs for the day so I opted for 6. They were good, not great and thankfully that craving went away and hasn’t come back. Were they healthy? Hell no.

(Frank) #21

Everything is on a spectrum from worst to best. Not everyone, including myself, are willing or able to have the “best” all or even most of the time. I think these videos are meant to set an example that you don’t have to be perfect when living this lifestyle in order to have success.

(Brian) #22

I don’t eat out much so don’t pay a lot of attention to the blogs or posts that talk about eating keto while eating out.

For the most part, I kinda know what I want when I go out. Generally, I want a meat… usually a burger or a fillet of fish… and probably a decently keto friendly veg. Will it be perfect? Highly doubt it. Will it be fried in something I wouldn’t use at home? Maybe. Might it have non-keto friendly seasonings or even some sugar? Probably. But it’s one meal. It’s not typical daily fare.

I can’t afford to eat out all the time so it’s just not something I lose much sleep over. Even if I had to eat a carby meal out, it would still not likely be a huge deal, it just doesn’t happen that often.

Do the best you can. Cooking is just not that difficult. Sous vide is a wonderful tool for really good steak or chicken and it’s pretty hard to mess it up. Some swear by their crock pot or InstantPot. There are ways. And it doesn’t take a culinary degree to get some really good food.

(Ken) #23

Meh, those things listed won’t really affect lipolysis. As long as you’re adapted and only eat them occasionally. That’s the fact, and there’s no virtue in fanaticism. True, it’s best to be strict in the first few months until your body adapts.

I just ate McDonald’s’s yesterday, but had no fries and ditched most of the buns.

Follow the Science, not the Dogma.

(KCKO, KCFO) #24

There are just as many of these out there that are anti-keto. The vegan stuff is everywhere these days.

It is up to us to research what is healthy for us. In my journey, I have learned I need more balance in the fats I eat, my genes better support me eating a balance of mono/poly/sat. fats. I was eating way too much of the sat. fat for a while. I haven’t eliminated it, but I have cut back on it. And added cold pressed, unrefined poly and mono fats to atleast equal the sat fats. We are all different and we have to decide what works for us.

Some of those things you referred to are for those with a lot of weight to lose or are suffering from T2D For example, Dr.Ken Berry talks about just getting started with hot dogs etc. if you have a lot to lose and are trying to control your T2D. Your goals maybe completely different from someone in that boat.

Relax, don’t over think it, just eat less carbs and more healthy, for you, fats. Enjoy the ride.

(Anne Brodie) #25

My dentist once gave me options and added that I had to take in account all aspects of my life to decide what was best for me. A missing tooth could be left alone, a bridge added, an implant, etc. He said one is free, one maybe $1000, and the best implant could be thousands. If I can’t pay my mortgage because of an implanted tooth, that is NOT a good solution for me.

My point being that I see your choice as very healthy! Yes, the nuggets contain who knows what. But your body wanted something and you tried it, within the parameters you set for yourself (still under carbs for the day). That is the type of “healthy” I am working on. To be able to try things to find out what works for me, while staying on track. Making choices that are practical given the circumstances and something that I can do for the rest of my life.

(Running from stupidity) #26

Dude, the IIFYM crowd would be there cheering you on.

(Sg) #27

I’ll definitely try that out. Thanks!

(Bunny) #28
  • List item

Rancid soybean oil to be exact (yuck!) and supposedly it is not hydrogenated (no trans fats), wish they would use tallow or suet in that pressurized deep fryer?

KFC Will Cut Trans Fat from Its Famous Recipe