The Heart Attack Grill: Restaurant Promotes Harmfully Unhealthy Food | Nightline | ABC News

food

(Bunny) #1

This is so backwards?

The Heart Attack Grill: Restaurant Promotes Harmfully Unhealthy Food | Nightline | ABC News

(Todd Allen) #2

I think their spokesman Blair should have skipped the buns.

(Bunny) #3

Yes I have eaten at this restaurant more times than I can count when visiting I love this place, somebody needs to give the owner a lecture on the other side of the story?

Start leaving comments under the video?

ā€¦Of course ABC News is going to show an obese individual to make it look as bad as possible?

Lose the bunsā€¦lol

The Anti-Heart Attack Grill?

I can could see Ivor Cummins (The Fat Emperor) having a fit over this video?

Burnt meat is just as inflammatory as those grains.

(Todd Allen) #5

I think the newscaster and Marion Nestle are more in need of a lecture. I find it far more objectionable that we have grocery stores filled with crap promoted as heart healthy.
AHACereals

(Bunny) #6

I see dead people and lots of high fructose corn syrup ā€¦lol

Look at countries that have banned HFCS, still obesity and diabetes? Ban the table sugar too?

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #7

Not to mention the seed oils used for frying.

(Peter) #8

Marion is an EXCELLENT example of know which side your bread is margarined on. Perfectly named industry shill.

Of course. My comment was mainly directed @brownfat because of his belief that just removing the bun and fries is sufficient.

The owner is funny though. Trying to use reverse psychology to get people to reconsider their lifestyle choices and essentially wake up.

(Todd Allen) #10

This place uses lard although apparently believing it a less healthy choice.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #11

Hallelujah! Praise the Lard! :rofl:

Itā€™s irrelevant which type of fat is used for frying because heating fat at frying temperatures will cause the fatty acids to break down into cytotoxic aldehydes/lipid peroxides.

A general overview in the introduction of the following paper.
https://www.nature.com/articles/s41598-019-39767-1

(Bunny) #13

Milk thistle and maybe choline (lecithin) in eggs reverse it that Iā€™m aware of?

Even though Milk Thistle and grape seed extract is technically a seed oil but It reverses the effects of PUFAā€™s (esp. prevents a fatty liver both alcoholic and non-alcoholic and inflammation) in the human body thatā€™s why I have been taking it as a supplement since I was a teen and probably why I donā€™t have diabetes from eating seed oils?

Milk Thistle helps the liver produce Glutathione and Choline converts to Glutathione in the liver. (Glutathione; the bodies Master Anti-Oxidant and controls all other Anti-oxidant activity from other anti-oxidants in the human body along with selenium).

Friends and family use to think I was ā€œstupidā€ for constantly taking milk thistle and other anti-oxidants, well guess what they all have diabetes and I donā€™t?

This was long before any one even knew what a ketogenic diet even existed.

(Todd Allen) #14

While true that heating accelerates chemical reactions degrading fats it is by no means irrelevant which are used. This has been studied and it has been found there is a tremendous range of responses with most seed oils being severely damaged by frying heat while coconut oil is only modestly affected. Extra virgin olive oil held up surprisingly well to moderate frying heat.

Two wrongs doesnā€™t make a right regardless of which one is less harmful. Can high temperature cooking be considered healthy?

Iā€™m for the lowest temperature cooking over an extended period of time. The food tastes different and healthy.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #16

Saturated and monounsaturated fats have a higher smoke point than polyunsaturates and are therefore far more stable at cooking temperatures. Though opinions vary on just when the human race discovered fire, it would appear that we have been cooking for the vast majority of our two-million-year evolutionary history. Therefore, it doesnā€™t make sense to be too concerned about traditional methods of cooking meat. The recent recommendations to avoid eating red meat (because itā€™s carcinogenic, or whatever) appear to be motivated more by bias than by science.

The discovery of agriculture twelve thousand years ago, on the other hand, is recent enough that plant foods have a significant and noticeable deleterious effect on health, and apparently it is easy for an anthropologist or archaeologist to tell, from looking at the skeletal remains, whether the people at a given site were primarily meat-eaters or farmers.

(Todd Allen) #17

What 2 wrongs are you talking about?

Iā€™m guessing high temperature cooking is one although I donā€™t know why you assume this is a major problem at the heart attack grill. I havenā€™t had a fast food hamburger in many years but most such as McDs were not charring the meat.

I donā€™t see any of this as wrongs or right but just shades of gray with tradeoffs. As for myself two days ago I had chuck roast sous vide at 135F for 48 hours. Today I will have a NY strip pan cooked on medium high in butter for 4 minutes on the first side and 3 minutes on the second. While there will be a bit of surface browning on the steak and there was none on the chuck roast most of the steak will be much rarer than the chuck roast which was cooked through. Which is healthier? Damned if I know. And I doubt anyone else does either. Does the unhealthiness of either rise to significance against all the other toxins I am exposed to? Iā€™m not terribly concerned about things of such low toxicity that I am unable to perceive any adverse effects over long time frames.

(Keto Koala šŸØ) #18

Oh itā€™s shockingā€¦ I have a vid tooā€¦ shocking awful place.:roll_eyes:

(Keto Koala šŸØ) #19

(Keto Koala šŸØ) #20

They spank you if you donā€™t eat all the food. How is this even ALLOWED!!!