The Guardian declares no evidence for keto

(Jennibc) #29

Keep up the good fight! It is frustrating to be in our 50s and realize we played by the rules and ended up sick and diminished because of it! That 1992 food pyramid is what did me in. I always felt like I had a weight problem prior to that. Truthfully, looking back at old photos, I did not, I might have been subject to some body dysmorphia. But adopting the 5-11 servings of grain a day and 5-7 servings of fruit and vegetables a day caused 120 pound gain over the years. I am very lucky I never developed diabetes but I am sure if I had not corrected course I’d been battling alzheimers in my old age – who knows, I still might, the damage might be done but I am hoping not.

(Todd Allen) #30

Most definitely! You can’t wrap bacon around carbs to neutralize them. Stick to wrapping your bacon around fat and protein.

(Ben ) #31

I want it, I want it all and I want it now seems to be todays line of thinking… Some of us have to work for it, deserve it, and then appreciate it. Getting old is not for sissys.

(Full Metal KETO AF) #32

You got that right brother!

I love this, “Bacon wrapped fat!” And yes bacon wrapped water chestnuts probably not life giving :sunglasses:

(John) #33

Reading the entire article for what it actually said, it boils down to:

“No diets work, including this one I will go into some detail about, so you will never be able to lose weight. You should instead practice intuitive eating, which you can learn about in my new book coming out in 3 days.”

“It prompts the question: why is this incredibly challenging, rigid, expensive diet so popular?”

Because it works???

(Also, maybe Keto is not as challenging, rigid, or expensive as detractors purport it to be)

There are many of us doing Keto who HAD serious health issues and NO LONGER HAVE THEM.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #36

Well, yes, but the fact remains that keto is unsustainable and it’s going to kill him. . . .

Just give it another thirty or forty years, and it will get him in the end, lol! :rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

(Running from stupidity) #38

Oh, ALMOST.

Got it, got it.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #39

Bacon-wrapped bacon for the win! Deep-fried bacon-wrapped bacon, to be precise! :bacon::bacon::bacon::bacon:

(Running from stupidity) #40

Drown them in lard!

(Rose ) #41

I’m really upset about the references to ‘choking some sense into her’. That’s not cool.

Also disappointed by the article. I like reading the Guardian. But there’s been lots of anti-meat articles from them recently and now they’re being very dismissive of keto too. It’s just going to fuel the fire of people thinking I’m deluded with this keto thing!

(Carl Keller) #42

I apologize if you found that offensive. I certainly meant that in a figurative sense, not literally.

(a45f5438eae0e37571fc) #43

The author of that article Is actually promoting a book so hardly balanced journalism

(Jennibc) #44

Don’t worry about other people thinking you are deluded. Don’t give other people that kind of power over you. You cannot control what other people think so tune them out. I have had to do this so frequently for so many things and it feels hard at first but it gets easier.

My son decided he wanted to act at 8, because I am a big proponent of letting children explore their own interest, I was supportive. It turns out he was/is really good. Consequently, over time he started working professionally (he’s not a name, but he has some credits which is good considering we live in TX and not NYC or LA). Of course, tons of people assumed I was driving it and I was some kind of ‘stage mother’ and was pushing him and living through him. Nothing could be further from the truth. He’s highly gifted in math, so my dream for him was to be the next Bill Gates. Ha! Not happening, he prefers the arts. At any rate, it used to really bother me the assumptions other people made about it. What I learned over the years is people are going to think what they think about me and there is very little I can do about. It is neither my responsibility nor within my capacity to change their minds. It’s perfectly okay to say “Thanks for your concern, but I am okay.” That’s having healthy boundaries with others and it really will give you peace of mind.

Most significant sentence in the piece: “the keto diet does not really align with nutritional guidelines issued by government experts.”

Someone once said, “The most terrifying words in the English language are: I’m from the government and I’m here to help.”

Unfortunately, the government is not always helpful, especially in this case since the nutritional guidelines are wrong.

Considering how Ronald Reagan stood by doing nothing and was completely complicit in the spread of the AIDs epidemic, not lifting a finger to help, I’m not about to listen to his advice. The more telling phrase to come out of that administration was to “look pretty and do as little as possible,” which pretty much describes the government’s attitude to actually dealing with obesity in any reasonable manner.

(Scott) #48

But the government has been dealing with obesity. Eat lots of grains and very little fat, that’ll fix it. Oh and move more too.

(Jane) #49

I love it when vegans say a keto diet is “so restricive” when we severely limit carbs (not eliminate) and they COMPLETELY ELIMINATE all dairy and animal protein!

:rofl:

I don’t care what they eat but they obviously feel very threatened by what we eat!!!

(Scott) #50

Vegans make my meat more affordable so I am okay with that.