The Great Big Public Keto Before And After Thread!

(Zack F) #41

The improvement in your posture alone speaks volumes. Congratulations.

(Candy Lind) #42

Tammyā€™s link is worth looking at, folks! Awesome work.

(Kathy Morris) #43

Iā€™m 5ā€™5

(Victoria Mc Coy) #44

You are a new woman!! Beautiful story.

(Tammy Kidd) #45

Thank you!

(Dawn) #46

OMG!!! How much weight did you lose? You are a rock star!! I am simply speechless. :heart_eyes:

(Nicole Sawchuk) #47

I am not as dramatic as others but there seems to be a gap for the women who have kids and get slightly frumpy and are told that is normal. I was never small or skinny but since I was tall, I carried my weight well. Honestly I didnā€™t even know I was bigger until I started seeing pictures of myself and I was sort of shocked. So I started working out like crazy. It worked at first but it didnā€™t take long before the weight started coming back on. I hired a nutritionist, followed my diet to a tee but with no success. In fact I put on another 10 lbs following the low fat diet. I went to the doctor and got tested for everything. I was told this was just what happens in life and since I was not obese or severely overweight, they dismissed me. 3 years ago I heard about keto (Leanne Vogel in Calgary) and I started reading her book. I remember it felt absolutely crazy to give up carbs! But I was desperate, so I jumped on the bandwagon and lost 8 lbs the first month but stalled out. I stuck with it because I started feeling so much better, no more mood swings and my energy levels increased! But no weight loss over the next couple years. But hey - I didnā€™t gain any weight either!
I grew up in a house of Type 1 diabetics, so I knew watching my blood glucose levels was important (and mine was slowly creeping up) but it was my brother who said something to me last year that stuck with me. He has been type 1 diabetic since he was 5 years old. All his life he was skinny, and during his teen years and early 20ā€™s he just went wild and never took care of himself. But he said ā€œthe moment I started following the diabetic experts, began watching my BG and taking my insulin religiously, I got fatā€. As an engineer, that struck me as weird and I was determined to research why. Thatā€™s when I stumbled upon Dr Fung and everything clicked for me! It was all about the insulin! Sure I was eating keto, but I was still eating 3 times a day with snacks! I immediately jumped on the fasting bandwagon a year ago today and just like he said, everything fell into place as long as I was willing to work at it!

Between April 2017 - December 2017 I lost 35 lbs. In January 2018, I added strength training back into my life and have gained 5 lbs back but my measurements have stayed the same! I look more toned and most importantly I feel great. I absolutely love the freedom fasting has given me. I may no longer fast as long as I used to, but I no longer worry if I canā€™t eat lunch or will be eating supper late.
I no longer have cravings (I used to have the worst sweet tooth). My energy levels are through the roof and I am able to handle the stress of work, kids and life in general so much better! No longer do I suffer from bouts of depression or anxiety! I am pushing 40 years old and I feel better than I did in my 20ā€™s!

Are there still struggles? Definitely, but I feel confident that this is the right path for me! So if you are a women in your late 30ā€™s who has given upā€¦donā€™t! Just keep tweaking because what works for the rest, may not work for you but it does not mean you are hopeless.

(Karl) #48

Around 145lb (I started at 300, currently between 160-165). I am apparently extremely compatible with this lifestyle. I donā€™t even hold back on the artificial sweeteners.

Pretty sure I was a type 2 diabetic at my heaviest though, which Iā€™m pretty sure is completely reversed now. No proof or anything, because I hate doctors. But I had all the classic symptoms of T2D, including the fact that to this day I canā€™t really feel the bottoms of my feet too well (neuropathy damage, Iā€™m assuming).

But aside from that little niggle, Iā€™m doing alright :slight_smile:

I didnā€™t post a ā€œStoryā€ when I put that pic up, but itā€™s one weā€™ve all heard before. Struggled with my weight my entire life, yo-yo dieted, sometimes to a healthy weight, but always fell back into my old habits. I still consider myself to have a 100% failure rate with weight loss. But this keto business works so well for me, I feel like I might just succeed this time. Iā€™m currently 2 years thin, and Iā€™ll consider this a complete success if I make it to 5 years without gaining back anything significant.

So far, so good.

I have previously read your story in other posts and you have been an inspiration to me. Thanks for sharing, Karl.

(Doug) #52

Wow, Dawn, quite a change! :slightly_smiling_face: Youā€™ve got the right attitude - keep on going. :sunglasses:

(Liz ) #53

OMG you are so lovely!! You were lovely heavier and will continue to be lovely at whatever weight you end up. Iā€™m rooting for you and those dancing knees!!

(Ellen) #54

You look fab Dawn! Go you. We want a video of the dancing though once you you get there.

@Niff314

Jennifer!!!

Simply Astonishing.

(What I wanted to say was, youā€™re hottt, but you know. Those voices in my headā€¦)

(Dan Dan) #56

Check out Leech therapy :thinking:

(Karl) #57

I draw the line at parasites :slight_smile:

(Raj Seth) #58

So - no kids?:joy:

(Karl) #59

Well, non-human parasites :smile:

(Doug) #60

Karl, nerve healing, if it happens, is a slow deal. Iā€™ve got some slight numbness in my hands/fingers, mostly the little and ring fingers, so the ulnar nerve. It definitely has gotten better with keto and fasting.

With one exception, very slight numbness in my toes, hardly notice it all, but I attribute all of this to being pre-diabetic for decades. It was at work for a long time - back in 2003 the bottom half of one little toe went entirely numb. Iā€™m sure thatā€™s never going to fix itself.

(Linda S) #61

Way to go!!! I am Type 2 Diabetic, have been for over 20 years and hope to reverse it. Iā€™ll all ready been able to reduce my medications and am looking forward to getting bloodwork done soon and seeing the results with my Diabetes doc. It is so difficult here in Canada, when I go to our local Diabetes Health clinic and they are telling me to eat 3 meals, 3 snacks a day, 25-30 carbs a meal, eat fruit, etc. I just smile. Looking forward to my next visit to see what they say. I saw a friend yesterday I hadnā€™t seen in awhile - he commented on my weight loss. Iā€™ve lost about 80 lbs, not entirely from Keto and over several years, but here I sit typing this in a fleece jacket that I once hoped ā€œwould fitā€, and Iā€™m proudly sitting here swimming in it.
Keto on is my saying, and alot of folks are asking me what Iā€™ve done.

(Jennifer) #62

Itā€™s cool, itā€™s cool. :joy: