The gauntlet has been thrown!

(Michelle) #1

Hello - My lovely boyfriend, an internal medicine doc, took me out to dinner last night for valentine’s day. He googled ‘most romantic restaurant in Chicago’ and made reservations there. Turns out, it was an Italian place that was known for homemade pasta. Oopsie. I did okay, got pork belly app and steak with broccoli rabbi.

Okay - so, he’s like “you are never going to eat carbs again”? I told him all the wonderful benefits of Keto, and how we don’t need processed carbs (incidental are okay). All of his years of Western Medical training and medical practice refute all of the stories and benefits I am telling him. He will ONLY believe peer-reviewed medical studies or something published in NEJM.

So, I’m in the process of gathering some research to send to him – some real medical studies. BUT, if you have any medical research regarding benefits of keto please do send my way. I will look for the stuff from Richard as well.

thank you!!! I am hoping to turn him. He laughed at me.

(Richard Morris) #2

Tim Noakes narrative on the evidence is a good summary

http://bjsm.bmj.com/content/51/2/133

Richard Feinman’s paper is also good

This is a good overview

and this a good summary of it’s neuroprotective benefits

(Richard Morris) #3

Also Chris Gardners ATOZ study compared 4 diets ranging from ornish plant based high carb to atkins low carb

Weight loss was better on atkins but the secondary outcomes were too

(Guardian of the bacon) #4

Looks like the good doctor has some educational reading ahead of him.

(Larry Lustig) #5

Very nice of him; but he might also be advised to Google “Valentine’s day”.

(Michelle) #6

He did say he would read everything I sent him that was “credible”. :grin: He doesn’t believe this reversesT2D!! He doesn’t believe N=1 experiments.

We’ll show him the science!! Thanks for all your input. I’ll let you know when he’s done with his homework.

(Stickin' with mammoth) #7

After years of attempting to educate the smug on various glaring truths, I’ve arrived at the position: “It’s not my job to make you smarter, that’s your job.” Then, I let nature sort things out.

(Bacon for the Win) #8

can’t wait to see how this plays out. Hoping you educate the good Doc!

Michelle,
I’m delighted to see that you are taking a positive attitude towards all this. And the doctor is in a great position to use this new knowledge to be a more effective doctor and save more lives. Your effort in this is quite remarkable. You are not being militant or egotistical about the subject, as in to win the argument, but instead you are approaching it with a positive “show me the science” perspective. Great job. How can he not look at the studies now?

Oh yeah…I hope the relationship continues to blossom. How charming :slight_smile:

(Marc) #10

Sorry, I was away from my email yesterday afternoon…
This isn’t so much about the benefits of Keto, such much as the negative impact of a high sugar diet (opposite of Keto) to heart disease. This appeared in JAMA Internal medicine a little bit ago:

From the article:

The NEJM (New England Journal of Medicine) review served the sugar industry’s interests by arguing that epidemiologic, animal,and mechanistic studies associating sucrose with CHD (coronary heat disease) were limited, implying they should not be included in an evidentiary assessment of the CHD risks of sucrose.

I need to organize these articles…

(Richard Morris) #11

Good. Neither do I. Except when I am the “1”, and I find those experiments to be unusually compelling :slight_smile:

He’d have to define what he thinks T2D is :slight_smile: .

The standard definition is glycostasis. We diagnose pre-diabetes when HbA1c goes above 5.7%, and T2DM once HBA1c goes over 7.5 for subsequent quarterly draws.

My HbA1c has been 5.2% for 3 years, it was 11.2%. By that criteria I am not type 2 diabetic. But that really is a symptomatic treatment. He is welcome to dismiss my anecdote - but he has to first understand the mechanism it observes.

Diabetes (all kinds) is the inability to maintain glucose in a safe range by lowering high glucose. Diabetics have a broken homeostatic regulator (Insulin resistance or Auto-immune insulin insufficiency). However all humans have a functional homeostatic regulator that raises glucose (by making it in the liver) when it goes too low. All one has to do, to switch from the broken mechanism to the functioning one - is to inhibit dietary sugar or starch and the liver will maintain serum glucose in a safe range.

It’s a hack. One that gives diabetics tight glucose control. But to a diabetic a symptomatic treatment that lowers glucose is relevant. Every 1% decrease in HbA1c, causes a 37% decrease in risk of microvascular complications of diabetes ( https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC27454/ ) . So we can have a population of diabetics who have no symptoms of diabetes, and normoglycemia.

… or our health systems can succumb to the tsunami of type 2 diabetes on the horizon ( https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/27197309 ).

As for a permanent reversal of T2DM, that will happen once the ectopic fat depositions in the pancreas are drawn down thanks to the drop in circulating triglycerides ( https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21656330 ).

(Marc) #12

From a doctor:

http://annals.org/aim/article/744700/effects-mediterranean-style-diet-need-antihyperglycemic-drug-therapy-patients-newly

etc.

Helping Out A Newbie
(Louise ) #13

The UK public health collaboration has gathered 54 studies which compares the low fat to low carb diets. It is a fantastic resource: https://phcuk.org/about/ as it collates a range of studies. That should keep him busy!

(Michelle) #14

Well, here’s his lame response. And for background, he eats everything he wants, with no care in the world. He never gains a pound. The man eats cereal at breakfast… kills me. :dizzy_face: He doesn’t believe that processed carbs are good on any diet (but yes, he eats them anyway).

Pasted his response below with a few clarifiers. I told him I would just show him more science.

“I didn’t realize that you had diabetes, obesity and/or a fatty liver. All of these articles lack any clinically valid endpoints (mortality benefit, disease incidence, etc), particularly in otherwise healthy individuals. Decreasing carb intake makes sense in those with insulin issues (obese, diabetics,…) but otherwise there is no evidence presented that demonstrates an advantage over any of the many other diets out there. In fact for purely health reasons, Jennifer’s vegan lifestyle (Jennifer is my vegan friend) has stronger evidence for health benefits for the general population (as does the multitude of other healthy diets). I did find this last line from the neuroprotective article abstract ironic: As the underlying mechanisms become better understood, it will be possible to develop alternative strategies that produce similar or even improved therapeutic effects without the need for exposure to an unpalatable and unhealthy, high-fat diet. Yes, listen to the science!”

snarky boyfriend…

(David) #15

Unpalatable? Really? Have you taken a look at the recipes pages on here?

Unhealthy? Where’s the science to back that up?

(Michelle) #16

IKR??? that was from this study: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2367001/

I’m wondering if it was from one of those drinks they used for epileptic patients and not real “keto” as it is today.

Yeeeeeah… that might be a while. A good doctor is never done. :grin:

Wait, I thought he said he didn’t believe in it for T2D? So now he does?
He’s moving the goalposts on you (us)!

[Would be interesting to see his or yours fasting insulin levels, too. No need to be a “diagnosed” diabetic.]

Even after he’s done all the reading (but it seems from that initial response that he’s already definitely made up his mind, and it’s kind of pointless to try to “convince” him at this point), you could do what I do when I just want to quickly explain to people why I avoid gluten even though I’m not Celiac — it’s a form of Pascal’s wager, and I’m just hedging.

(Michelle) #20

Yes, I’m going to talk to him about his obtuse response. I did tell him that I’m doing Keto for disease prevention and keep telling him the perils of sugar. He knows, but won’t budge off his stance that cutting out one whole food group (carbs) is beneficial in the long run. I’m still going to throw more science at him and also keep asking for his support in my keto journey.