The Entire Ketogenic Diet in One Sentence

simpleketo

(Lisa McCoy) #171

Wonderfully helpful post!

(Bunny) #174

How come nobody ever told me low cholesterol is a precursor to cancer?

Thought that was a nice one-liner?

New and started keto on 9/3/2019 and gave nit list anything. Love your one-liner and am going to restart keto tomorrow using this advice and see if I have better results.

I think Iā€™m overthinking this and concentrating too much on meeting my daily calories my fat protein and net carb %. I will say that I have stayed under net 20 carbs per day.

My other issue is that I think Iā€™m getting overwhelmed by reading too much about keto. Iā€™m feeling frustrated and confused because every keto calculator is giving me different numbers to go by so Iā€™m nit even sure where to start and to focus on.

Iā€™m 53F, CW 160, 5ā€™ 2ā€. Any suggestions and help would be very much welcomed.

(Live Young) #176

Thank you! This IS good advice. I am on day 11 and so anal about charting every single gram of everything, probably stressing I am not dropping weight others are, and maybe thinking to much about it all. I will try to remember this concept and your article has helped. I wanted you to know. :slight_smile:

(PJ) #177

Try this link:
https://ndb.nal.usda.gov/ndb/search/list

Itā€™s easier to remember :slight_smile:

However the message they have on the site now worries me:

I hope itā€™s as easy to use as this one. And ā€œresearch-focusedā€ ā€“ I wonder what that means in this context.

(Robin) #178

Oh wow! Hadnā€™t seen that notice! Yes, letā€™s hope the new site is legit!

(Donna Baptiste) #179

Thank you so much for your post. Im near tears with so much information, Iā€™m overwhelmed, Iā€™m just 34 days in keto and spending money on stuff that could wait until Iā€™m at least fat adapted. Thank you again.

(Wendy) #181

What a fantastically simple way to explain this way of eating. Love it.

(Richard Hanson) #183

Canada is part of America.

(Susan) #184

There is no Canadian that thinks that ---- you must not be Canadianā€¦

(Richard Hanson) #185

As a T2 Diabetic, my one sentence description of Keto is perhaps a bit more self serving:

Donā€™t eat anything that turns into sugar in the blood.

This would necessarily include excessive amounts of protein.

Keto for Life,
Richard

(Richard Hanson) #186

I am not Canadian, I am a Texan, but the fact is there are Canadians that are insulted when American is assumed to exclude Canadians and it is also a fact that Canada is part of America, just like Texas.

Keto for Life,
Richard

(bulkbiker) #187

Define ā€œexcessiveā€

(Richard Hanson) #188

Protein that is turned into glucose in the blood stream.

(bulkbiker) #189

Not really a definition of excessiveā€¦

As well as maybe be a demand driven process so it could well be more likeā€¦ ā€œprotein that is required to be turned into glucose in the bloodstreamā€ ?

(Richard Hanson) #190

Hi Mark,

There is no one number for protein and recommendations very tremendously, depending on the source. Functional definitions are definitions even if they are not quantitative. If I eat more then about 70g of protein a day then I start to have problems with my blood sugar numbers. For me protein > 70g a day is excessive.

Excessive protein is more than is necessary, desirable; immoderate.

Keto for Life,
Richard

(bulkbiker) #191

Can be quite a dynamic processā€¦ used to be a guy on the diabetes.co.uk forum who said protein raised his blood sugars then went carnivore eating raw liver and steaksā€¦ and surprise surprise no higher blood sugars from protein.

Iā€™d go so far as to say it depends entirely on where you are on the recovery from T2 schedule as to the likely impact. For those approaching normoglycemia I think it has little to no impactā€¦

I averaged about 150g per day of protein in 2019 with an HbA1c of 27 mmol/m (4.6%)
Keep monitoring and donā€™t restrict unnecessarily.

(Richard Hanson) #193

Hi Mark,

Cooked meat has about 7g of protein per ounce. Why would anyone want to choke down a 20 oz steak every day? Alternatively, I could cram two dozen eggs into my face. Why would I do that?

I like both steak and I eat eggs, although I mostly just eat the egg yokes, to avoid excessive protein.

Perhaps, if I was trying to add a large volume of vanity muscle in the gym, I might actually want to eat 150g of protein per day. Considering how many obese people are in the west with a superabundance of available nutrition, it is necessary for a great many people to intentionally restrict what they eat.

Keto for Life,
Richard

(bulkbiker) #194

Why notā€¦ tasty and nutritious satiating Iā€™ll be having one tonight, well about 17.5 oz ribeye for dinner 500g. When you only eat once or twice a day as I do thenā€¦

I can assure you there is no ā€œchoking it downā€ involvedā€¦

(Richard Hanson) #195

Dr. Valter Longo at the University of Southern California how shown that eating high levels of protein is associated with significant higher rates of mortality, 75%, then when compared to those eating a lower protein diet.

This may or may not prove out, but I see no reason at all to consume far more protein then the body needs. One of the best reasonā€™s to fast is to avoid eating any protean at all to allow for a period of autophagy.

I most often eat OMAD, but choking down that big a piece of meat every day just kind of sounds gross. I would much rather eat a more moderate volume, say 4 oz, smothered in butter. The family eats steak quite often, a few hours in the sou vide, we have two, and then a fast reverse sear on the grill, awesome dinner.

Do you perceive any health benefits from eating such a massive volume of protein every day?

I am happy to admit that I know almost nothing about nutrition, but then no one else does either, so I am not going to tell you what to eat. I would only council moderation and dietary diversity. A protein intake of 150g a day sounds rather immoderate.

I think if I had consumed foods in moderation in my past, then I would never have developed T2 diabetes and it is unlikely that I would now be eating a diet that is so low in carbohydrates that it must be viewed as immoderate. When I eat over 70g a day then I get sick so I donā€™t do it. I try to stay well below that number.

Keto for Life,
Richard