The Entire Ketogenic Diet in One Sentence

simpleketo

(Kimberly L Smith) #21

I know you say to google the conversion but is there possibly a suggested app to use??

(Robin) #22

This is a great website with very accurate info. I find My Fitness Pal is useful but also has a lot of bad information.

This link is from the US Department of Agriculture.

https://ndb.nal.usda.gov/ndb/search/list?qlookup=&manu=&SYNCHRONIZER_TOKEN=8faadfe2-d49f-41e1-810c-97a0002477d3&SYNCHRONIZER_URI=%2Fndb%2Fsearch%2Flist&ds=Standard+Reference

(Robin) #23

Many subtract fiber, for 20 net carbs per day. Thatā€™s your call. Due to the fiber content those 9 carbs have 7 fiber so that equals 2 net carbs. That said, Iā€™m trying to move away from logging and taking a more simple approach like Larryā€™s. :slight_smile: Edited: This was meant for beacheidi.

(Mirissa Joy Beavers) #24

I love this explanation :raised_hands::raised_hands::raised_hands:

(Nicole) #25

Succinct. And people say this diet is too hard. LOL

(Ginni Carrican) #26

Love it!

One of the best explanations I have seen. Love it!

(Heidi) #28

Weigh to go!

(betsy.rome) #29

Most keto plans allow you to subtract fiber from carbs = ā€œnet carbsā€. Depending on your level of IR.

Couldnā€™t have put it any betteršŸ˜Ž

I love how you have broken down starting Keto so easily, so basic, lowest common denominator style. This is exactly the way I approached my Keto start 10 months ago to huge success. Over time as I became more interested and focused on my Keto journey I started to fine turn what I was eating, when I was eating and how I was eating.

Iā€™m always asked how to start Keto when people query what I have done to loose my weight. Iā€™ll be sending them your ā€œKetogenic Diet in One Sentenceā€ from now on.

Much thanks!

(Phill Coxon) #32

Nice summary. Thanks

(Jimmy Broadwater) #33

Easiest explanation for someone to understand and get started, I love it!

(Michelle Allen Fitzmaurice) #34

Its very easy as you said

(Mike W.) #35

I keep trying to force myself, but I donā€™t understand why I have to eat a large amount of fat with Keto. You think I would be in Heaven being ā€œallowed toā€ but Iā€™m not. I donā€™t have any carb cravings but still never really feel hungry? Iā€™m about 1 week in. Am I missing something or am I brokenā€¦

(Larry Lustig) #36

You donā€™t.

Limit your carbohydrate intake to 20 grams.

Make sure youā€™re not eating a ginormous amount of protein (say 60 - 120 grams a day).

Eat sufficient fat so youā€™re not hungry or tired.

Now, youā€™re (almost certainly) eating ketogenicaly.

(Mike W.) #37

Thank you. So im probably tired because I donā€™t eat enough fat?

(Nathan Hall) #38

If youā€™re only in your first week, your body is still transitioning between fuel systems. In the first few weeks youā€™re not yet ā€œfat adaptedā€. Your body is still seeking to burn glucose. Once you become fat adapted, your body will use fat as a fuel more efficiently.
Also, you my be lacking some electrolytes. (Sodium, Potassium, Magnesium, etc.) This can lead to cramps, headaches, and fatigue.
You may also want to eat more fat, as long as youā€™re not having to force yourself to do so.

Aw bless you. No you are not broken. It sounds to me like you are doing great. It is normal to feel a bit sluggish the first week or so. Do make sure you are getting enough salt and magnesium as people have mentioned. Try to get fat in with nice fatty cuts of meat but donā€™t force yourself to eat fat. Eat when you are hungry. The fact that your appetite has gone down and you donā€™t have carb cravings is a good thing. Just stick with it and follow your gut and what feels right. Youā€™ve got this. x

(Joy Hood) #40

Thank you! Iā€™ve been stressing about some details. I am still going to track my food but only with carbs in mind right now.