The Entire Ketogenic Diet in One Sentence

simpleketo

(Richard Hanson) #216

Lemon or lime? Just a bit for flavor. I like lime the best.

I try to just eat the same types of simple foods that people ate … perhaps 100 years ago … before food became a manufactured product. No boxes, cans or jars and only incidental carbs. Before so many people in our society starting suffering from diet related diseases, fruit was seasonal and a treat.

Keto for Life,
Richard

I know you are a purist but l’ll ask anyway.

Spirits?

(Richard Hanson) #218

Certainly! The body will metabolize alcohol first and then you will go right back into ketosis. Distilled spirits are carb free. My preference is cognac.

When I started the keto diet my doctor told me no wine, but then he is LDS. I just accounted for the calories and I have never had a problem. As a devout acolyte of Dionysus, the consumption of wine and wild debauchery are a significant religious obligations. Seriously, the only problem is that I get tipsy easy now on keto so I am very careful about how much I consume when I will be driving. Mrs. Hanson has her side of my glass when we go to tastings, or I just use the dump.

Keto for Life,
Richard

Can you refer me to a female to chat? Also the scale is not my friend 6 weeks in although l lost initially 7.6 lbs. It fluctuates. 12g carbs last few days.

Thank you.

(Gregory - You can teach an old dog new tricks.) #221

Not all that independent, actually…

(Susan) #222

I reported that post as SPAM ----

(Polly) #223

In I think that was a good call Susan. It worried me too and then I wondered whether it was just a language issue.

(Joey) #224

@FatMan Sorry, but I’m going to take exception to this claim. To be clear, I’m not a fan of continuing to “feed the sweet beast” with non-sugar substitutes, especially artificial ones. But pure stevia extract (a natural, organic plant derivative) has been explicitly shown in studies on humans (not rats) NOT to increase insulin, especially as compared to alternatives.

This study in particular might be of interest:

A relevant section covering the results:

“Post-hoc comparisons revealed that postprandial insulin levels were significantly lower in the stevia condition compared to both the aspartame ( p = .04) and sucrose conditions ( p = .003; see Figure 3). Specifically, postprandial insulin levels were significantly reduced at 30 and 60 minutes after the test lunch meal in the stevia condition compared to the aspartame condition (all ps < .05). Postprandial insulin levels were also significantly lower at 20 minutes following consumption of the preload, as well as 30 and 60 minutes after the test lunch meal, in the stevia condition compared to the sucrose condition (all ps < .05).”

If I’m misinterpreting the results of this study, please don’t hesitate to set me straight.

Again, I offer this to further our collective grasp of the relevant science, not to suggest that continuing to create habitual attachments to sweeteners of any kind is a wise course to follow in one’s eating patterns.

FWIW, personally I have very little “sweet tooth” leftover since going keto, but my wife still struggles. So I make us Stevia-based treats kept in the fridge and from time to time this seems to help her stay the course. None would be better, but some seems to hit the sweet spot. :slight_smile:

(Rita) #226

Thank you!! :blush:

(Dirty Lazy Keto'er, Sucralose freak ;)) #227

So I think the main point of the OP was that Keto does not have to complicated, and I completely agree ! In fact, reading through all 209 previous comments, I think it’s safe to say that, most of the people here agree with this too.

It was kind of funny to see a few people who just still keep trying to complicate it… But what about my protein ratio ? What about vegetable oil ? What about my daily calories ?
Well, what about it ? :smile: Lol

A year ago when I first started Keto, I read a TON before I actually started eating this way. So I feel like I had already sifted out most of the unimportant stuff, and had pretty much already come to the same conclusion as the OP, which is that Keto just doesn’t have to be that complicated.

I weighed a few things… Counted a few carbs here and there… Tried to get a general idea of my daily intake… For about a week or two. Then just forgot about all that stuff, and kept my carbs low :slightly_smiling_face:

Lost close to 50 lbs in the first 8 or 10 weeks, and have just been cruising along ever since :slightly_smiling_face: Keto has been the greatest WOE I’ve ever experienced ! No plans to ever stop eating this way.

And just by personal choice, I eat home made bread nearly every day… All kinds of Sucralose… Shasta diet soda FTW ! Keto pizza, keto ice cream, etc, etc !
Oh, and I eat a TON of protein too. Not even concerned about my fat protein balance. Must be okay. I’m not getting obese again and feel great :slightly_smiling_face:

Anyway great OP. Should be a sticky :slightly_smiling_face:

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #228

Reading through the last thirty or so posts (I don’t check this thread all that frequently), I see some possible confusion that could stand to be cleared up.

The first point is that most meats are about 25% protein (roughly speaking), or about 7 grams of protein per ounce. There is a big difference between eating 300 grams of meat–about 10.5 ounces, which would contain 75 g of protein–and 300 grams of protein—which, in the form of meat, would come to about 1.2 k / 2.6 lb of meat.

Second, protein recommendations vary, and every expert appears to have a different opinion. The unavoidable nitrogen loss from daily living appears to average out to a daily requirement of 0.6 g protein per kg of lean body mass. A few outliers can make do with less, and a few require a lot more protein, as a minimum. If your muscles start wasting, then you need more protein than you are getting. If you start smelling of ammonia, you are getting too much and should cut back. (Remember that protein is our dietary source of nitrogen, because every amino acid contains at least one nitrogen molecule. Fats and carbohydrates contain no nitrogen whatsoever.)

The recommendations vary for different reasons. Dr. Ron Rosedale recommends only enough protein to make up for the inevitable nitrogen loss, because he is concerned with longevity and protein intake stimulates mTOR. Prof. Benjamin Bikman recommends up to 2 g/kg LBM/day, because he is concerned about the loss of muscle mass as we age. Most recommendations fall between these two extremes, and Richard Morris’s official recommendation here on KF is still, I believe 1.0-1.5 g/kg. The Virta Health site contains tables based on total body weight that give recommended protein intakes in this range, so you don’t have to do the arithmetic.

Third, remember that all this is approximate, and that individual variation can be significant.

Fourth, it appears that we have an instinct for getting a good amount of protein (this is known as the Simpson-Raubenheimer Protein-Leveraging Hypothesis), so if you are happy with how much you are taking in, then don’t worry about it.

Fifth, the old notion that excess protein intake is automatically and inevitably converted into glucose by the process called “gluconeogenesis” has been shown to be inaccurate. Apparently, while the real story is quite nuanced, it is more helpful to think of gluconeogenesis as more of a demand-driven process than a supply-driven one.

Sixth, the body can store only a limited amount of amino acids (just as carbohydrates are strings of glucose molecules, so all proteins are arrangements of various amino acids), there is no real point to eating more protein than necessary. Amino acids that can’t be stored in the labile pool are deaminated (the nitrogen is removed and excreted)

Seventh, every protein has a life cycle (the duration ranges from seconds to years, depending on the protein), so every protein needs at some point to be disassembled and reconstructed, especially once it becomes damaged. This process is called autophagy. There is always some autophagy occurring, but fasting and a ketogenic diet are well-known ways of facilitating this process.

Lastly, the effect of protein intake on insulin secretion depends on the rest of the diet. In a diet with a great deal of carbohydrate intake, the rise in insulin from consuming excess protein can be significant. In a low-carbohydrate milieu, however, the rise in insulin is matched by an increase in glucagon, so that the insulin/glucagon ratio remains unchanged.

No ketosis
(Susan) #230

Thank you for this Paul. It is a major piece I have been missing from my information. I have been so worried that I have been over consuming meat.

(Sam) #236

That is amazing, thanks!

(Stickin' with mammoth) #245

“I don’t eat plants.”

It’s carnivore, I know, but I enjoy the shock and silence. Especially from the ones who just announced to the group that they’re vegan and then waited for applause.

(Stickin' with mammoth) #250

I’ve been getting a lot of mileage out of this lately while leading hikes. Invariably, the vegans proclaim their status apropos nothing and then gaze at me steadily with an expression that says, “Top that, unenlightened citizen.” I always say the same thing: “All my health problems evaporated when I stopped eating plants.”

I’ve begun an imaginary game in my mind where I gift myself fifty dollars every time I hear, “Well, everyone’s different,” a hundred dollars when I hear, “Have you been tested for allergies?” and a thousand when I make it through, “Well, some people just can’t have a healthy relationship with food,” without killing someone and burying them in woods.

So far, I’ve paid off all my debts and started a fine 401K.

(PJ) #252

Well hiking is the hobby to have if your secondary hobby is burying people in the woods :rofl:

(Stickin' with mammoth) #253

I love that meme. You are my people.

Whaty a wonderful image and message :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

I totally can imagine the slow loss of tension after a very needed killing though so that may not be irrelevant.

(Stickin' with mammoth) #255

It could be interpreted as dragging one’s own body through the woods and, believe me, without proper coffee levels, that’s valid for me.

(Walt ) #262

Hi. I’m new here. My name is Walt. Reading the above article, “The Entire Ketogenic Diet in One Sentence,” I am shocked when I read the Founders of this forum recommended only 20 grams of carbohydrates a day. I’m no dietician or Keto expert, but my reading led me to believe it was twice that, 40 grams per day.