The Entire Ketogenic Diet in One Sentence

simpleketo

There’s no mention of the word fat so I’ll give it a try with my family. See what they say.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #150

With me, it’s not so much that I feel anywhere near full, it’s more like simply losing interest in eating for a while. There’s certainly plenty of room for more, I just don’t want it.

For someone whose general thinking runs more toward the see-food diet, it’s a truly weird experience, let me tell you!

(Tonya) #151

New to the forum. I have been reading about keto for over a week and they make it sound so complicated. Thank you for making it so simple. This is going to make it so simple! Thanks!!

(Ms Hanson) #152

Thxnks for reminder about electrolytes.

(Mike Law) #153

Great job Larry! I’ve been thinking about how we need a really good 30-second elevator speech that doesn’t confuse the interested party. This is even shorter and better. We need more of this to get others interested enough to try it.

• Mike.

(Bunny) #154

Almost everything we buy from grocery stores, mini-marts, fast food to restaurants in our modern world is sucrose mixed with fructose (HFCS) then throw some grains on top of that; add trans fats from hydrogenated[4] or partially hydrogenated vegetable/animal oils/fats and you have an epidemic?

Notes:

[1] “…Studies indicate that fructose may be a carbohydrate with greater obesogenic potential than other sugars. … thereby listing fructose as an important sugar in the genesis of obesity. …” …More

[2] “…High-fructose corn syrup (HFCS) and sucrose are the most important dietary sweeteners. Both HFCS and sucrose have overlapping metabolic actions with adverse effects attributed to their fructose moiety. Ecological studies have linked the rise in fructose availability with the increases in obesity and diabetes worldwide. …” …More

[3] “…Epidemiological studies show growing evidence that consumption of sweetened beverages (containing either sucrose or a mixture of glucose and fructose) is associated with a high energy intake, increased body weight, and the occurrence of metabolic and cardiovascular disorders. …” …More

[4] Dr. Michael Eades on trans fats

[5] HFCS: “…The sweetener is made from processed corn starch. Starches are made of long chains of linked sugars, and HFCS is produced by breaking down the starch into a syrup made of the sugar glucose. Manufacturers then add enzymes to the substance to convert some of the glucose into fructose, which tastes much sweeter. …” …More

[6] “…Sucrose is made from glucose and fructose units: Sucrose or table sugar is obtained from sugar cane or sugar beets. The glucose and fructose units are joined by an acetal oxygen bridge in the alpha-1 on the glucose and beta-2 on the fructose orientation. …” …More

Is that 20 net carb grams or total?
I keep reading/hearing arguments for one way or the other, keep changing my mind about which to track and have ended up totally confused!
Thanks.

(Diane) #156

I believe most people use a daily limit of 20 net carbs and find success. If you don’t, or if you reach a point where it stops working for you… try something else.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #157

We did a poll, and it turns out that 60% of those who responded counted net, 40% counted total. Do what works best for you, and don’t worry about it. :bacon::bacon:

(Carl Keller) #158

The Entire Ketogenic Diet in One Sentence

Avoid sugar and starch.

or in one word:

BACON.

(Stickin' with mammoth) #159

This needs to be a t-shirt.

(Wendy) #161

I have no idea what you are saying.?

(Running from stupidity) #162

Maybe it’s a bot

Can’t tell you how many times I’ve been fooled by a bot into thinking I was having a stroke.

(hottie turned hag) #167

Resurrected for the initial post which should be pinned.
What @larry states therein so eloquently is what I did when I started, just by instinct, knowing nothing about this newfangled “keto” (excepting the actual medical version which this is NOT) and it worked wonderfully in its simplicity and ease of implementation.

Having an obsessive disorder and a background/career that involves much attention to data/details, had I read about “keto” and its “rules” prior to commencing I’d for sure have felt the need to micromanage every single bit of minutiae which would lead to anxiety if any tiny factor of same was the tiniest bit off and would’ve tainted the experience and made it stressful :worried: af.

Keeping it way simple has been the key to it working for me. NOT to say this shall be best method for all; for folks without my anx triggers counting cals/macros/ketones may be a boon and a pleasure. But for anyone like me, I can vouch for the op with a hearty applause. :clap:

(Casey Eckels) #168

ok since i am new to this, but it is ironically serendipitous since i just got labs back and my glucose is a little high (102) and my cholesterol is too, it seems like these dietary things might help?
Also, just starting and learning about Aryurvedic healing are these compatible??

(Lisa McCoy) #171

Wonderfully helpful post!

(Bunny) #174

How come nobody ever told me low cholesterol is a precursor to cancer?

Thought that was a nice one-liner?

New and started keto on 9/3/2019 and gave nit list anything. Love your one-liner and am going to restart keto tomorrow using this advice and see if I have better results.

I think I’m overthinking this and concentrating too much on meeting my daily calories my fat protein and net carb %. I will say that I have stayed under net 20 carbs per day.

My other issue is that I think I’m getting overwhelmed by reading too much about keto. I’m feeling frustrated and confused because every keto calculator is giving me different numbers to go by so I’m nit even sure where to start and to focus on.

I’m 53F, CW 160, 5’ 2”. Any suggestions and help would be very much welcomed.

(Live Young) #176

Thank you! This IS good advice. I am on day 11 and so anal about charting every single gram of everything, probably stressing I am not dropping weight others are, and maybe thinking to much about it all. I will try to remember this concept and your article has helped. I wanted you to know. :slight_smile: