The Diet of the Mountain Men

meat

(Troy) #1

Fun little 10 page excerpt readšŸ™‚
Maybe a repost

The Diet of the Mountain Men
Author(s): William E. Holston
Source: California Historical Society Quarterly, Vol. 42, No. 4 (Dec., 1963), pp. 301-309

(Bunny) #2

ā€¦And when no game was available leather belts, moccasins, saddles or rawhide straps were eaten; very nutritious and has all essential amino acidsā€¦lol

ā€¦or would eat their dogs when times were hard!

Despite all the hype on the internet about mountain men, ONLY exclusively eating meat (which does not mean it is a green light or healthy thing to do), is a myth, they ate plenty of plants, veggies, fruit, roots and berries also when available and were very barbaric, meaning they will eat anything that does not eat them first just to survive not because they had their long-term health in mind and a carnivore agenda or status on Facebook to upholdā€¦

Iā€™ve read this a few times. Very entertaining. Humans need to do anything for survival just like any other animal out there in the wild. And these guys were in the wild for sure! This obviously also has nothing to do with a ā€˜carnivore or zcā€™ eating plan :wink: Just good historical info. I watched a special on tv about the Donner Partyā€¦wow. People sure had it tough conquering new frontiers!

(Bob M) #4

Itā€™s not a myth. Some Comanches ate nothing but buffalo. Did some of them eat plants? If they had to.

Same with the Sami people: they eat primarily reindeer, but will eat some plants in season. They use the plants to fatten themselves for winter.

I think you might want to stop looking through your ā€œeveryone has to eat plantsā€ glasses.

Humans being obligate carnivores is more of a myth once we take animal migration into account. The most successful humans live on ocean coasts where fish are abundant and grow their own edible high quality plants. The most technologically advanced human societies grow their own edible high fat nuts while hunter/gatherers who subsist mainly on meat and poor quality plants are still living in their huts doing the same thing over and over.

https://journals.physiology.org/doi/full/10.1152/jn.00531.2017

(Bunny) #6

They are eating whatā€™s available?

I have never stated ā€œhasā€ or ā€˜haveā€™ to Iā€˜m only suggesting that it is healthier to include plants because plants do contain amino acids; essential and non-essential.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #7

You are right. We are omnivores and definitely not obligate carnivores. But that doesnā€™t prevent meat from being a significant part of a healthy diet.

sure agree on thatā€¦

also it doesnā€™t mean plant matter canā€™t negatively effect us as alot of us know it does reek havoc on our bodies and science backs us up with plant allergy and more. just adding a little more to the rest of your thoughts for you cause it seemed like a good tack on :sunny: meat is less dangerous than toxic plants for sure.

(Gregory - You can teach an old dog new tricks.) #9

Where is the evidence that it is healthier to include plants?
Iā€™m sure it can be healthier, depending on what may be lacking in a diet, but I donā€™t think itā€™s a given, that including plants in a diet is healthier than leaving them outā€¦

(Bunny) #10

Only if you believe in the concept of addition and subtraction? Spectrum and volume, and missing micronutrients?

As an example:

I could name three substances 1_____, 2____, 3____. you can only find in plants and cannot get from animals or other living beings that if you donā€™t get them, you will suffer from metabolic dysregulation indefinitely because they are what make fat cells communicate with each other via the PPAR2 pathway.

It would not matter what diet your on, keto or otherwise, and you will NOT burn body fat or just gain it all back again and on your way to being diabetic no matter what you do because those three substances are lacking (volume)?

I can say this, it is in existing foods (plants) people just donā€™t get enough of it?

(Gregory - You can teach an old dog new tricks.) #11

You could, but you didnā€™tā€¦

We canā€™t discuss your claims if you are not willing to make them clear.

(Bunny) #12

You want me to reveal all my secrets? It could be proprietary information and I could be under contract? (not really but what if?)

And no itā€™s not resistant starchā€¦lol

PPAR2 = PPAR-Gamma?

-https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peroxisome_proliferator-activated_receptor_gamma

(Gregory - You can teach an old dog new tricks.) #14

A question for me?

We are still waiting for:

ā€¦that would make an animal based diet healthier?

Nope. I like to fact check myself. :wink:

(Gregory - You can teach an old dog new tricks.) #16

I looked at the Wiki article.

What does it have to do with SpaceBunnyā€™s claim?

Here is a paper about PPAR gamma and using plants to develop drugs for various ailments.

Natural product agonists of peroxisome proliferator-activated receptor gamma (PPARĪ³): a review

Nothing about healthier eating.

I think she means beta. alpha=1 beta=2 gamma=3
-https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peroxisome_proliferator-activated_receptor_delta

Anyhow. We produce our own cannabinoids called endocannabinoids during fasting and exercise from Omega 6 fatty acids. We donā€™t need the exogenous cannabinoids like CBD and THC.

-https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cannabinoid#Endocannabinoids
-https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Endocannabinoid_system

(Gregory - You can teach an old dog new tricks.) #18

I still see nothing about plants being needed for a healthier dietā€¦

PPAR pathways increase lifespan. So Omega 6ā€™s, polyphenols, etcā€¦ from whole foods increase lifespan.

Polyphenols are found in plants.

(Bunny) #20

It is a combination of the three substances not just one, it needs the other two that creates the backbone of the network that is almost sentient and starts bidirectional communication between adipose cells so they synchronize symbiotically.

Imagine having a communication system consisting of nodes that cascade over thousands connections like the internet but no communication just a bunch useless hardware that does nothing but retrieve information (lipid droplets) but does not evacuate excessive storage bilaterally?

ā€œā€¦Breast cancer cells in culture form tubelike interconnections. In this video, payloads of molecules (inside blue circles) can be seen moving along these membranous nanotubes and microtubes, illustrating how they might be transmitted to a cell in need of them. Such connections may help cancer cells share their resistance to therapeutic drugs. ā€¦ā€ ā€¦More