The carnivore diet is not a low carb diet? (and not necessarily ketogenic) Dr Gabrielle Lyon

aging

(Elizabeth ) #82

His blood sugar is not high if you consider the type of endurance and high impact exercise he does. His body is doing exactly what it needs to do by making fuel for his muscles

(Full Metal KETO AF) #83

Sorry Elizabeth, Iā€™m confused because I never talked about limiting or excess protein. :cowboy_hat_face:

(Elizabeth ) #84

Unfortunately it seems when I reply to someone if theyā€™re too far up in a thread it winds up dumping it in some random place. I was referring to somebody who said that eating too much protein will cause your insulin and glucose to rise because the body will turn it into sugar.

(Michael - When reality fails to meet expectations, the problem is not reality.) #85

https://opentextbc.ca/anatomyandphysiology/chapter/24-4-protein-metabolism/

Chapter Review

Digestion of proteins begins in the stomach, where HCl and pepsin begin the process of breaking down proteins into their constituent amino acids. As the chyme enters the small intestine, it mixes with bicarbonate and digestive enzymes. The bicarbonate neutralizes the acidic HCl, and the digestive enzymes break down the proteins into smaller peptides and amino acids. Digestive hormones secretin and CCK are released from the small intestine to aid in digestive processes, and digestive proenzymes are released from the pancreas (trypsinogen and chymotrypsinogen). Enterokinase, an enzyme located in the wall of the small intestine, activates trypsin, which in turn activates chymotrypsin. These enzymes liberate the individual amino acids that are then transported via sodium-amino acid transporters across the intestinal wall into the cell. The amino acids are then transported into the bloodstream for dispersal to the liver and cells throughout the body to be used to create new proteins. When in excess, the amino acids are processed and stored as glucose or ketones. The nitrogen waste that is liberated in this process is converted to urea in the urea acid cycle and eliminated in the urine. In times of starvation, amino acids can be used as an energy source and processed through the Krebs cycle.

(Anjum) #86

Can you tell me more about resistant starch? My foray into carnivore has created a hormonal shift. Iā€™ve gained 15 pounds and am worried that Iā€™ve undone 2 years of keto. I am hypothyroid as I am missing half my thyroid. On keto my meds came down from 185 mcg to where I am now 80 mcg. Any insight will be greatly appreciated.
Thank you .

(Elizabeth ) #87

Just a suggestion, this is a zero carb carnivore thread You might get more response and information in a keto thread

(Elizabeth ) #88

Hereā€™s an article from actual research scientists that are working in clinical settings

(Polly) #89

Interesting @Elizedge - thank you!

(Vic) #90

Ya Know, Iā€™ve been going down all these rabbit holes as well as of late

Iā€™ve settled on the fact that if I eat more meat I feel better, I am not carnivore but I do mostly meats and cut out most veggies most of the time, But I love my tabasco sauce, Avocadoā€™s Butter, occasional keto treat, Raoā€™s sauce Occasional chicken parm with almond flour as well as cheeses

I also donā€™t see myself eating liver or bone broth so I donā€™t see myself going all the way carno yet

At the same time I do well whether I am higher protein or not maybe even better when higher protein

So I donā€™t know mostly what I am doing is working so I am not going to crazy with all the info now but Ill cut what I can when I can without too much trouble

(Bunny) #91

If I had half my thyroid, I would definitely make resistant starch a permanent staple in my diet no matter what diet I was on?

If I did not take resistant starch there is no way in hell I could maintain a ketogenic lifestyle and not be lethargic, weak, constantly tired and feeling weird.

All the following links are all about the thyroid and resistant starch

[2] What Thyroid Sufferers Need To Know About Fiber, Resistant Starch, and SCFA

[3] Donā€™t Resist This Starch

[4] Resistant Starch: Why Your Body Needs It

[5] Your Gut Microbes and Your Thyroid: Whatā€™s the Connection?

[6] These types of links are endless when it comes to resistant starch and the thyroid?

(Bunny) #92

The answer to that question is a definite YES!

Unfortunately Phinney is talking about digestible carbohydrates, not complex undigestible carbohydrates so it is quite deceptive information and should be cast in the light of pseudoscience?

Another example of Phinney et al.ā€™s pseudoscience in claiming ā€œreversal of diabetesā€ is they refuse to do insulin clamp studies? Why?

When I see long term glucose tolerance then we actually ā€œcuredā€ diabetes?

I would be more convinced if I seen one person carb up (300 grams of carbs) for three weeks before any diabetic related blood work or test?

(Polly) #93

Oh for goodness sake! No one claims anything other than putting type 2 diabetes into remission which means the patient is no longer suffering the effects of the diabetes. If they start up with eating the carbohydrates again they will start up the problems with glucose metabolism again - because you never stop being a diabetic you only put it into remission.

(Bunny) #94

Then logic must follow; you cannot reverse diabetes or actually put it in remission, it is one thing in exchange for the other; the insulin vial in exchange for eating fat and protein and a little bit of carb?

Diabetes is not a glucose problem it is a insulin problem.

The human body is going to make glucose and store it whether we like it or not; low carb, no carb or high carb it really does not matter, the ability to create enough insulin to deal with any kind of glucose whether it be from diet or endogenously from body parts or dietary proteinā€¦

The core root of the problem ā€¦is people eat too much at once, does not matter if it is fat, protein or carbohydrates and is a absolute proven fact when you look at bariatric surgery; itā€™s almost instantaneous or magical, because you start loosing visceral fat on the liver and the pancreas and no more diabetes?

That is why fasting or spacing out eating windows works better than restricting carbohydrates?

(Elizabeth ) #95

I havenā€™t taken in any dietary glucose or fiber in over 2 and 1/2 years and my thyroid numbers are absolutely perfect my medication level hasnā€™t changed one bit.

(Ron) #96

I swear she does this to bait an argument for her entertainment! Not worth the effort IMO.

(Bunny) #97

Dietary glucose or endogenously created glucose your still making glucose from eating protein or from your own body parts. So you are getting glucose just not in vast amounts as you would from simple carbs.

(Polly) #98

Oh what a beautiful evening. Oh what a beautiful day. La la la.

(Elizabeth ) #99

My point is your insistence that you must take in resistant starch does not apply to me and quite possibly not to a lot of other people either.

(Bunny) #100

Speaking of baiting, your baiting people to get intestinal cancers without warning them for your entertainment if you want to play the criticism bait game? At least present some facts if you want to involve yourself in the conversation?

(Elizabeth ) #101

Iā€™m not really sure why somebody whoā€™s keto comes into a carnivore thread proclaiming to be an authority?