The carnivore diet is not a low carb diet? (and not necessarily ketogenic) Dr Gabrielle Lyon

aging

(Jenna Ericson) #50

I’ve been eating meat, mostly lamb, bison, beef, and salmon with lots of tallow, a little butter, cheese, yogurt, some unsweetened chocolate and a few strawberries each day. Obviously not completely carnivore, so I probably shouldn’t be jumping to conclusions, but this is definitely less carbs/veggies than I used to eat (used to eat a lot of avocado, cauliflower, squash, etc)

ok I get it all I think :slight_smile:
Your side effects have nothing to do at all with the carnivore plan.

You are doing an extreme low carb/keto plan combo some type of situation.

I just wish and can’t stress enough the NOT doing carnivore at all and blaming the plan itself is just so wrong. But I do this plan and so do many other great people on the board and the ‘pretending to be any kind’ of carnivore plan person just makes me sigh so loud and always blaming a plan they don’t try or have a clue about truly. That is my little bit of ‘pffft’ on it all but I know you are having big troubles obviously so…I am hoping you get it all straightened out!

I am bowing out at this point since I don’t have a clue on what might be effecting you and I obviously know nothing of your mental health status or lifestyle or anything so I wish you nothing but the best of the best!!!

(Jenna Ericson) #52

Thanks for your response @Fangs. I agree and shouldn’t have said it was a carnivore issue. I get what you’re saying and my last intention was to say that carnivore is bad or whatever. I think I just wish I could be as BA as all of you carnivores :slight_smile:

Thanks a ton for that post :slight_smile: I see people having issues with carnivore and I jump in to help but then I see that it is a combo type carnivore’/keto plan and I kinda can’t help then LOL Everything is cool!!!

I am wishing you nothing but the best of the best and I hope all things get ok for you. I know you will find your center and thrive!!!

LOL we carnivores are BA…hey let me say this BA carnivore had to walk thru hell and back to get where I am now LOL I had my super bad times to the ultimate, but I walked my journey and found my way here where I do very well now…you will also find your way!!!

(Empress of the Unexpected) #54

I listened to Dr.Ted Naiman on a podcast this week. He said some interesting things about the use of carbohydrates and satiety (and the carnivore approach). He presents his points of view from a Protein:Energy ratio approach to optimising body fat loss. We must also remember that he has not ever been overweight, but has changed his body composition over time. That is a different approach than the challenges faced by the obese type 2 diabetic, who needs to lose substantial body fat to normalise, then optimise, health biomarkers.

(Jenna Ericson) #56

That all makes sense, and I also agree that fiber is not necessary to be healthy, but can help increase satiety. Interestingly, when I was eating mostly animal products I had almost no hunger, to the point where I probably wasn’t eating enough, so satiety was not my issue. I loved this about the diet, but I think the low calory intake might have contributed to added stress on my body. In a perfect world if I had optimal gut health, stress control, and gave myself enough time to adapt, I think carnivore would be perfect for me.

While fiber is not necessary, I think that if you eat the right kind of vegetation (purposefully ambiguous) along with eating fermented food or something with “good bacteria” together they can be beneficial in restoring the messed up the gut biomes that I and many people have. I’m hoping that my stint of eating mostly animal products will allow me to have a fresh start as far as adding back in some of that good bacteria. I’d love to try carnivore sometime in the future once I get other things worked out.

(Edith) #57

This is a definite possibility.

I might have lower calorie day or 2 on carnivore but once I do that 1 or 2 days my appetite roars back :slight_smile: I never have a ‘low kcal situation’ effecting my carnivore life. I find that very interesting.

I don’t have much appetite but hunger or the “need for fuel” sign arrives. I simply can’t undereat for longer term on any woe, not even slightly (fasting doesn’t count, 0 calorie is special), my body interferes :smiley: (Sometimes I fall off the actual wagon I am, it depends but I never starve if I have food.)
In my ancient past these signs worked a bit less well and sometimes problems (sudden weakness) arrived without a warning, surprisingly soon after my food intake dropped, my body loves its fuel…

I can eat without appetite or hunger just fine, it matters very little. I often get satiated surprisingly quickly and it’s a hard stop at very low-carb but it’s not like I must do OMAD or 2MAD so I simply have more but much smaller meals, it’s almost always enough. I need to learn now to eat a tad fattier (protein is very satiating, fat less so) and I won’t have problems regarding proper amounts.

(Anjum) #60

I adopted a Ketogenic lifestyle a little over 2 years ago. I began it as a last ditch effort to lose the weight that I had been captive with for more than 10 years. I had immense success but not enough for me to lose my belly entirely nor the scale to drop below 200. I have now ventured into carnivore, believing that zero carb would be the key to unlock the remaining weight. I come with a history of thyroid dysfunction. I seem to be gaining weight, I feel it, and for confirmation the scale agrees. I checked my ketones and they are practically non existent. I’m looking for a little direction, I think. Do I stay the course for carnivore? Will this weight gain level off and drop? Should I go back to eating vegetables? I feel great. Sleeping more deeply as a result of carnivore, also feeling very warm at night. ( this could be thyroid meds too) Any insight would be helpful. Thank you for your time. :balloon:

(Elizabeth ) #61

That’s exactly what happened to me after 2 years of strict keto on a 50 lb weight loss I went carnivore and added 8 lbs my first month. I stayed the same until the 6-month mark when I listened to one of the 12-year veterans and I started eating almost 3 lb of meat a day. Within 6 weeks I had dropped 10 lb. I also take levothyroxine for thyroid. Be aware that when you go zero carb you won’t have the fiber to absorb your medication like it did before so you’ll need to get back to your doctor every three months and get your thyroid levels checked. You may need to adjust your medication quickly. Oh we don’t chase ketones eating this way, Your body may be more efficiently using them in the absence of plants

How much meat did you eat before the 3lb of meat shift?

(Ron) #63

I would like to learn more about your journey as I mirrored your past experience and ultimately went back to veggies and Keto. I loved the carnivore way of eating but was just gaining weight. I wasn’t eating 3 lbs of meat though. I would have no problem with that though. Are you still following the 3 lb rule and is it still working? I would like to learn more and possible return to that WOE but am worried about gaining more weight. (I already put on 25lbs from carnivore that I am trying to lose again)

(Elizabeth ) #64

I was eating about 2 lb and I stayed on the 3 lb for probably 6 months I do find since I’ve dropped back down to 2 lbs that I haven’t lost any weight in the last year and a half however I have gone down a full pant size and lost 3 in off my waist. I am gearing up when we get past this crisis to increase again and see what happens

(Elizabeth ) #65

Average 2lbs

Impressive, I can’t imagine eating 1.5kg of meat :slight_smile:

(Elizabeth ) #67

I eat two meals a day mostly sometimes three

(Anjum) #68

Elizabeth thank you so much for your reply! Our stories are almost identical. I too lost 50 and there I’ve stayed until this journey into carnivore. I take a bio identical compounded hormones. My meds have dropped drastically on the keto lifestyle. I am on a 90 day testing protocol already. So eat more I guess. I thought 1 pound was plenty. How did you increase your intake? I am OMAD but will adjust to eating twice. How tall are you Elizabeth, does that make a difference to how much to consume? I ask because I am 6 feet tall. My current weight is 209 with a 5 pound increase recently. Any guidance or help is greatly appreciated. Thank you.

(Elizabeth ) #69

I’m 5’8 and weigh 190 something. I’m also in a size 14 which I have not worn in 40 years. I’m 63 almost 64 and I sit at a desk in an office. I do not work out or exercise. So I’ve got 40 years of metabolic damage that needs to be healed, and I get extensive blood work every 6 months and my body is very happily repairing itself slowly but surely. 1 lb of meat a day is a starvation diet. You need to eat and eat and eat until your body is convinced that you’re not starving it. I would starve on a pound of meat a day