The Best & Simplest Pizza

(Tracy) #1

I’ve made just about every low carb crust in existence. This is my go to because of how low in carbs it is, the ease, and taste. I want to give credit to the recipe author but I honestly can’t remember where I found it. All you do is blend 4oz cream cheese and 4 eggs in the blender. Pour on a pan that has a very sturdy center so it doesn’t pool and bake unevenly. I use a 1/8 sheet pan but a 9x11 casserole dish would work. I also use parchment because it will stick. Bake at 350 for 30 minutes. Remove from the oven and top with your favorite ingredients. Then I broil it until everything is melted.

My go-to for pizza (or cheese bread) is Joseph’s Lavash Bread, a flatbread similar to a low carb tortilla, as a crust. I can do it in about 5 minutes these days. But I’ve also done a Cheesebuns crust or a Poblano peppers crust. And, now, with the latest keto craze, chaffles, you could even do Pizza Chaffles.

A copycat recipe for Papa Murphy’s new “crust-less” pizza.

Some very quick and lazy microwave options:

Microwaved Crust-less Pizza

• Put a layer of provolone on a microwave safe plate
  • Sprinkle smoked paprika and Italian seasoning
  • Spread some Rao’s marinara sauce
  • Add some diced onions and mushrooms
  • Add a layer of pizza pepperoni
  • Cover with the shredded Italian cheese, maybe a touch of the shredded sharp cheddar cheese
  • In the microwave for 2:30

Microwaved sausage patty meatza

• Thaw out one or more frozen sausage patties in the microwave
  • Add Rao’s marinara sauce, diced onions, and/or mushrooms
  • Cover with shredded Italian blend cheese or Mozzarella cheese
  • Microwave for a minute or so, depending on how many you made

Microwaved Italian meats meatza

• Slice of provolone cheese
  • Deli slice of salami
  • Slice of Colby Jack cheese
  • Deli slice of salami
  • Slice of Pepper Jack Cheese
  • Roma tomato Slices, maybe some diced onions
  • Deli slice of pepperoni
  • Slice of provolone cheese
  • Microwave for about 90 seconds.
  • Slice into four small pizza triangles

(Bob M) #3

There’s no rolling or anything? Just pour onto a pan? (Edited for grammar: poor instead of pour.)

It’s pretty much liquid, nothing to roll (as far as I know. I never managed to find cream cheese in my life but eggs make the densest creamy dairy a thinner liquid anyway. at least according to my experiences).

If I replace the cream cheese that I can’t buy with sour cream, it’s almost my pancake :slight_smile: I never tried to bake it but it is worth a try… It surely will be something edible and even nice tasting. And I can add something to make it denser if needed but who knows, maybe long baking will do the trick… Yeah, I do my usual recipe-changing again… At least I keep the eggs. I always keep the eggs. And add more if possible. Hard-boiled egg yolks are my flour.

(Tracy) #5

Yes, it’s magical. It’s not crispy by any means but it’s a great delivery system for all those toppings. I love it the next day after it’s cold.

(Bob M) #6

I’m at home with my kids as they connect to school. So, I might try this for lunch.

(Polly) #7

My favourite pizza substitute is the meatza using British Breakfast Sausage seasoning in a 20% fat minced (ground) pork to make a delicious base for any pizza topping.

This may be close to my favourite:

(Bob M) #8

I tried the original recipe above. I thought it was interesting. I made the mistake of leaving on the parchment paper while broiling it after adding sausage, anchovies, some mozzarella cheese and three tomato slices.

I wouldn’t really characterize this as “pizza”, more like a softer “bread” to put stuff on. It was filling though. 5 hours later, and I’m not hungry at all.

(Tracy) #9

I call it a topping delivery system. Really no flavor to it, but it’s so easy. I’ve also used it as a base for Philly cheesesteak and Reubens, then I slice it up into squares.

(Joey) #10

My pizza-like crust goes like this…

Preheat oven to 450F.

1 cup of shredded mozzarella + 1 beaten egg
optional: a bit of almond flour,
& seasonings to taste: onion/garlic powder, salt/pepper, oregano.

Mix it all up together and roll out a thin layer of dough between two sheets of parchment into a thin pizza crust shape. Can use a rolling pin on top parchment layer, or even just your palms. Since all the mess is between the two layers of parchment, it’s clean enough to just press the ball of dough outward from the middle to the edges to make a circle or oval shape.

Remove top layer of parchment, trim excess parchment paper from bottom layer with scissors, and while the “crust” is still sitting on the bottom parchment later, slip it onto a flat cookie sheet and bake for around 8-10 minutes at 450 degrees F until crispy brown on top. There you go.

Remove from oven - letting it cool a bit on a flat surface to retain shape.
You can even store several of these in the fridge for days.

Whenever you want. add toppings … whatever… sauce, chopped meat, olives, sliced peppers, you decide. I also use them as “roll-ups” for sandwich-style eating with toppings rolled up inside. Guacamole, meats, pesto, …

For pizza style eating, along with toppings I often like to add a little more shredded mozzarella on top, drizzle some oil and balsamic vinegar, etc., then slip it back on the cookie sheet and bake at only around 325-350 degrees F (about 10-15 minutes?) until toppings are browned. Toaster oven works fine for this.

Can make things taste great and you’ve got the texture and handiness of a bread-like crust or rollup. Virtually no carbs but lots of flavor. Keeps wells in the fridge and leftovers easy to warm up in toaster oven, too.

I tried it with mascarpone as I had that… And a smaller amount as no way my food isn’t almost only eggs (or meat, sometimes) and it sounded as a recipe for pancake just baked… So I used my best pancake dough, fried a pancake and put it into the oven. It’s amazing what a little change can do, it became so different in the oven! It was a bit dry to me but definitely not bad as a “pizza” crust! Nothing like real pizza but it’s no problem for me, I like pizza-like things too :slight_smile: (If I wanted to eat real pizza, I would eat real pizza but I don’t want that.)

So while I did a different thing, I can and do thank this recipe, I never thought using my thin pancake dough in the oven and it was very worth to try!