The (arguably) Best Dairy-Free Keto Ice Cream

…that I’ve tried so far, with lots of experimenting to make it better in the last week!

Ingredients:

-2 cans coconut milk, the solids (put can in fridge overnight without touching it, then scoop fat off the top)
-5 TBSP coconut milk liquid, from the cans
-4 TBSP cocoa butter* (you could probably use dark chocolate, if chocolate ice cream is desired)
-4 TBSP coconut oil
-1/2 TSP salt
-1 vanilla bean, the inside (optional, but recommended if you want damn good ice cream!)
-1.5 tsp vanilla extract
-stevia drops, to taste (I used about 1 dropper full)
-1/8 tsp xanthan gum (optional)
-up to 4 egg yolks**

Directions:

-Mix the coconut milk solids, coconut milk liquid, salt, vanilla extract and bean scrapings, xanthan gum and stevia drops.
-Melt the cocoa butter and coconut oil together, then whisk into the coconut milk mixture (or use a blender)
-If you want to use egg yolks, add them now***.
-Put the mixture in the fridge for an hour, then churn until thick (usually 30-40 minutes for me)
-Eat as soft serve, or put in the freezer for an hour or 2 for a harder ice cream.

Notes:

*if you don’t have cocoa butter, you might be able to get away with using regular unsalted butter, but I doubt it would be the same.

**optional if you want a nutrition boost. I haven’t tried egg yolks in this particular recipe yet, though I usually put egg yolks in my other ice creams and have them turn out good.

***when I use raw egg yolks, I put them through a strainer, but that’s just me because I made mousse with them raw before and had a bad experience with the slimey bit lol

Edit: Nutrition info

Serves 4.

Calories: 415 / Carbs: 4 / Fat: 45 / Protein: 2 / Fiber: 1 / Net Carbs: 3

Ice cream maker
(Keto Kid 4 Life) #2

I’m going to have to try this. The thing I’ve missed most since going on Keto is ice cream!

(Steak and iron) #3

I don’t see how this doesn’t set rock solid.

(Full Metal KETO AF) #4

All that oil and fat, doesn’t freeze real hard and softens up quickly out of the freezer. :man_cook:t3:

(Steak and iron) #5

Not my experience at all. Anything with coconut fats and without glycerin/allulose to soften it comes out as a block of ice