The Accidental IFer

(Aimee Moisa) #1

I had my high fat coffee when I woke up this morning like I do every day (I’ve been told it’s not BPC 'cause I don’t use a blender) and I was planning to have some sausage and cheese for my 10am meal and lunch. Turns out my hubby didn’t read the ingredients when he bought the sausage last night and it includes my arch nemesis, more “arch” than sugar: the dreaded fennel! Now all I have to eat is cheese, which I’m not partial to all by itself, I like it with a little meat on the side.

I’m four weeks in, I can tell I’m not fat adapted yet 'cause I’m still peeing out tons of ketones and I don’t have any of the other fat adaptation symptons. I’ll be able to take a lunch break in a couple hours but I’m hungry and by then there will be 5 hours between my 200 calorie coffee with heavy cream and lunchtime. Is this accidental fast going to hurt my chances of fat adaptation? Should I tell my boss it’s an emergency and go grab something WITHOUT FENNEL at the grocery store?

More than anything I’m amused with this situation. My husband knows I hate fennel and when he got home last night I asked him to list the ingredients for me and halfway through he paused for a moment, skipped the fennel, and read the rest of the list. I should have known something was up and read the list myself and then I could have stopped at the store on the way to work. My husband is such a dork, and I’m having such a big LOL. :smile:

(Doug) #2

:smile: Classic, Aimee.

Nothing wrong with ‘accidental’ or spontaneous fasting, in my opinion. If we want to get adapted to burning our own fat, reduce insulin resistance, etc., then I don’t know of a better way to do it than fast.

(Empress of the Unexpected) #3

Men!:rofl: It was iffy enough pre-Keto when my husband went to the store, but now? Nope, I go with him, unless it is something simple like meat or vegetables. (And he still tries to buy lean meat, so I guess that’s not even simple…)

(Katie the Quiche Scoffing Stick Ninja ) #4

Fasting will not hurt your chances at fat adaption at all, if anything it will help it.
All you need to worry about to reach ketosis and the fat adaption stage is keeping your carbs under 20 for upwards of 6 weeks, fat adaption is more like a lever rather than an off and on switch.

(Raj Seth) #5

AImee, about the only thing that hurts your chances of fat adaptation is a persistently high level of insulin. And, an inadvertent IF is NOT going to raise your insulin - so worry not. Fat adaptation is a process, not a switch, as @ava_ad0re said above. It just means that your body is ramping up the processes of burning fat for daily energy needs. When the processes are sufficient to provide your entire daily energy - you are fat adapted. Before that, you are on your way. If you were able to IF inadvertently, you are closer to fat adaptation - thats all.
If you could just jump into an extended fast - IMO your body would get fat adapted in a hurry by necessity, probably at the expense of some unhappy things healthwise. Its just that fasting without being fat adapted is kinda rough - I would guess. By the time I did my first 36 hour EF, I was 2 months in and fully fat adapted - since I did not get hungry - just apprehensive going in.

(Katie the Quiche Scoffing Stick Ninja ) #6

I’ve never heard it explained like that and it makes complete sense. Thanks :slight_smile:

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #7

Ladies, ladies, ladies, you just don’t understand . . . .

. . . or else you understand altogether too well, lol! :grinning:

(Aimee Moisa) #8

Yeah, we understand your tricks. Behave incompetently so we’ll give up relying on you to do your part and just do it all ourselves.

Sorry, am I bitter much?

(Raj Seth) #9

Dayum! who let her in on our secret - to the gallows!!
:joy::joy::joy:

(Aimee Moisa) #10

So, wow. It’s 8:30 pm right now and I havent gotten hungry since I had my grilled gouda & deli chicken sandwich (on keto connect’s keto bread) at 1. I am just now feeling peckish, should I just go to bed early and fast until breakfast or should I eat something before bed? This is the longest I have gone not hungry since starting keto 5/20.