Thai Red Curry

(Lynden Garrett) #1

#Thai Red Curry

This recipe has been a staple in our household for many years. It’s really simple to adapt it for keto, exchange the sugar to a sweetener of your choice, and is very authentic.
##Ingredients

• 1 Stick of lemongrass (just the white part in the middle) finely chopped.
  • 3-4 kaffir lime leaves.
  • 20 Thai basil leaves (Really important to get Thai basil otherwise it won’t have the aniseed flavour.) https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thai_basil
  • 6 or more spring onions cut in 2” pieces, I like a few more than six.
  • 2 tablespoons of red curry paste, now you are going to have to experiment here on what works for you and brands are different in their level of hotness.
  • 1 tin (250ml I think) of real coconut cream.
  • 1 tin (250ml) of real coconut milk
  • 1 tin of sliced bamboo shoots
  • 1 red capsicum chopped (Bell pepper you those on the other side of the pond)
  • 6 or more cherry tomatoes
  • 1 kg of boneless chicken thighs cut in thirds. You could use pork as well.
  • 2 tablespoons of fish sauce (will need to taste this when cooking, more maybe needed)
  • 2 teaspoons of your favourite sweetener that is good for cooking. I used natvia.

##Method

Put half/ most of the coconut cream in a pan and cook it on high. What you need to try and do is to get the oil to separate from the solids. If that won’t work, most ketoers have a stock of coconut oil, so put a tablespoon or two in.

Add the lemongrass, kaffir leaves and curry paste. Fry it for a minute then add the meat. Cook the meat for a few minutes with just the spices then add the rest of the coconut cream, the coconut milk and the bamboo shoots.
Allow to simmer for 20 to 30 minutes. (You could at this stage turn off the heat until you are ready to serve, even refrigerate for another day).

Add the capsicum and cook for 4 minutes then add the cherry tomatoes and cook for a further 2 minutes.

Add the fish sauce and sweetener. Taste. What you are trying to aim for is spicy, salty and sweet. If too salty add more sweetener and vice versa.

Next add the spring onions and Thai basil. Stir through, remove the kaffir leaves (I don’t bother) and serve. Garnish with a few sprigs of Thai basil and extra coconut cream if you like.

##Variations
Often I will make this with whatever vegetables are available, I have used cabbage, carrots in the past. I really like the red capsicum for the colour.

Coconut Chicken Soup
(I want abs... olutely all the bacon) #2

I search to see if someone used lemongrass and found this, it looks delicious! I just posted a Coconut Chicken Soup and want to use lemongrass next round. This recipe will my next try, it has many of the additions I want to try :sunglasses:

(Beth) #3

I am lucky enough to have lemongrass growing in my garden (at the moment it’s the only thing besides some wild herbs!), but it’s the kaffir lime leaves that I have a hard time finding, and I think they really do make a difference. Anyone have any thoughts on a good sub?

(Lynden Garrett) #4

You could just don’t use lime leaves and see how it goes. I have seen the leaves in the super market produce section at times, so you could try there. Also if you do find some you can freeze them as well…
Cheers

Not sure where you are, but have you tried Asian grocers?

This looks excellent, thanks for sharing. I’m a sucker for this dish.

I’ve had success with the Maesri curry pastes at Woolworths: https://www.woolworths.com.au/Shop/Search/Products?searchTerm=curry%20paste&name=maesri-paste-red-curry&productId=45458

From memory the ingredients read like how you would make it yourself.

(Lynden Garrett) #7

I use this brand as well.

(Beth) #8

@BigTrev and @LucasHeight, thank you. I live in the greater San Francisco bay area, so while I ought to be able to get to an Asian grocer fairly easily, I do actually live rather remotely/rural so those kind of places are off my beaten path and I don’t think to go there. Maybe I need to make a special trip and then freeze some.