Texas style chili con carne

chili

(PJ) #1

Recently I was looking for a chili recipe. I got a reference to one. But it had italian sausage which I react to, and it had bacon which I never put in anything (I love it but I detest ham, and if I cook it ‘in’ things they have that hammy vibe). And it didn’t have any chili powder at all, and no hot peppers… but it was good as a base for spice plan, and I went forth and did my own thing. Then after tasting it, I modified the spices further. And when it was done… wow. I honestly can’t believe how good it came out. It’s so delicious I’m going to start making this fairly constantly as a bulk food.

I finally got around to doing the macros detail for it so I thought I would share it in case anybody else is interested.

PJ

(bulkbiker) #2

Have you ever tried the dietdoctor version?

Its the one I use mainly

never bothered with the tortillas and usually add some extra fresh chilli…and more garlic.

Also use pork or veal mince to cut with the beef.

(KCKO, KCFO) #3

The 7.1 lbs made me laugh. Good for you doing REAL chili con carne.

If you feel like further experimenting, add about a teaspoon of cinnamon to your spice mix. Sounds crazy but it works. Cinnamon has heat and sweetness, that brings out the savory in the other ingredients.

(PJ) #4

Thanks. I’m willing to give the small amount of cinnamon a try!

The celery, cloves and worcestershire of that DD recipe I think I will omit :rofl: – I am not brave enough and it doesn’t sound good to me – but spice-wise it looks like mine is pretty similar to that one otherwise. I can’t believe how delicious it turned out.

7 pounds of it was just not enough. I am making more as soon as my current fast ends. :smiley:

(Bob M) #5

Probably the one I use, which my wife and I like and others do too.

Personally, I’m trying to get away from hot peppers. They cause me allergic reactions.

If you like to use peppers, though, Kenji Lopez-Alt uses them. I have used this and it’s good too:

In his recipe book, he uses the dried peppers to create his own “chili” style pepper. I personally liked it. He directly uses the peppers in this recipe, though.

The recipe in his book uses no sugar and no beans, but I don’t see a version of it on the 'net.

I also use his umami bombs in a lot of recipes, particularly anchovies.

(Jane Reed) #6

I’d be eternally grateful if someone could direct me to a chili recipe that was full of flavor but utterly without the use of hot chiles.

I am one of those people for whom even a little spice heat is unpleasant, because it provides me with a burning sensation only, overriding any flavor the chile might have.

I have made chili all my life and never made a batch I was pleased with. Can anyone help?

(KCKO, KCFO) #7

Inmy world, chili is always spicy. If it doesn’t have some heat, it ain’t chili.

Maybe go for something along the lines of goulash instead? Meat, onions, mushrooms and a cream sauce with mild paprika added might be more enjoyable for you. Serve it up on zoodles.

(Jane Reed) #8

I’d like to have a dish with a beefy tomato sauce, seasoned with cumin, garlic, oregano, onion, mild chilis (like pasillas) and other flavors. This adds up to chili, in my book. I’ve just never stumbled across the right proportion of those ingredients to suit my taste.

(Bob M) #9

This is the one we use:

You could leave out the cayenne pepper.

I usually up the flavors by using some anchovies and fermented soy sauce (natural, no wheat) or coconut aminos. I also cut up some beef chuck and cook in the oven at about 300F with the top slightly cracked. Say, for 2.5-3 hours (check the chuck to see if it’s soft).

@collaroygal I went in the military and went overseas and developed a liking for spicy food. So much that I am the person who could win the T-Shirt for eating the “Fiery Wings of Death!” Now, however, I realize that eating many spicy foods cause immediate allergic reactions: runny nose and eyes, sneezing sometimes, etc. Are these reactions good or bad? I’m not sure, so I’ve been trying to back away from spicy food, and have them rarely. Chili isn’t a good vehicle for heat in my house, as I would be the only one eating it.

And Kenji Lopez-Alt is more about complexity of flavors and not raw heat. If you want hot, you could just use the seeds, add hotter dried peppers, add fresh peppers, etc.

@Buttonwillow That’s one of my weaknesses: I can follow a recipe, but I don’t have any sense of what different herbs/spices would provide. And I also never have the time/luxury of experimenting.

We just made that recipe above over the weekend, and had it for dinner last night. This is one good thing about chili: you can make it in advance. Sadly, I got heart burn last night, which I NEVER have. So, the days of that chili (or any chili) for me might be numbered. I’ll have to see if the same thing happens next time I have it. If so, I’ll have to stop eating it.

(Jane Reed) #10

Thanks for the suggestion, Bob. I did go to Kenji’s website but stopped reading when I encountered his inclusion of hot peppers. I’ll give his recipe a shot as well as the one at Bakerita.