Texas cracklins update

For lack of anyone else claiming it, I have “invented” Texas cracklins. Smoked brisket fat treated (rubbed) just as we do brisket. If you have a good brisket the fat is sort of squishy and not hard deckle. It is always trimmed before cooking so I just take those trimmings, (and if injecting the brisket) dunk them in the injectant and then rub with that peppery brisket rub I use but any will do. Then smoke at 225F right above the brisket. Wow. Smoky fat with a spicy twang.

Today I stepped it up a notch and used leftover fat I had cut from a USDA prime standing rib roast. The result is melt in your mouth spicy fat goodness. Carbs and protein 0, all fat. and bonus, the rendered fat drips down onto what you are cooking below.

12 11

(Karen) #2

Looks wicked good! I think you can claim the naming rights

(Raj Seth) #3

Actually, it’s got a lot of protein. The fat is in a protein matrix else it would all melt. I’d guess 40/60 protein/fat

However, divine tasting

Well then I have invented Keto Health food!

The name came from a user on amazingribs.com That is my real social media home.

on review, I don’t get that. This stuff is more or less melting away… I can in fact put it in the top of a double boiler and it will all melt. I am having a hard time squaring that it could be 40% protein.

(Jeff Henderson) #7

Guess I won’t be tossing that fat anymore after trimming

(Ken) #8

If you’re lucky you can find a butcher or meat department that will sell you the fat trim from when they cut up their steaks. My store only sells USDA Choice meat and on Saturday they cut up quite a few loins into steaks. By mid morning the have.my 10 pounds of fat trim ready and sell it to me at $1.50 /lbs. The important thing is to spread it out on a cookie sheet and freeze it ASAP because if you just let it sit in the fridge it turns grey and is less tasty.

let it thaw before you try to put the spices on and put it in the smoker… will hold much better that way