Testing ketones/glucose

(Ivy) #1

What happens if you test too early after eating?

(Bob M) #2

Won’t make much of a difference, for blood sugar. If you want to test blood sugar, I’d test every 15 minutes for a while. Though if you’re eating low carb, you shouldn’t see much. Here’s a random day:

Those are ketones with two different meters, breath ketones (ketonix), Free Style Libre CGM, and then whatever pin-prick meter I was using, then notes.

And notice I ate salsa and still got basically zero blood sugar rise.

Note also the blood sugar increase due to exercise.

(Ivy) #3

I got 0.4, kerones, 126, glucose, 23 GKI, not in ketosis.

I’ve forgotten what this means. Did I do something wrong?

(Bob M) #4

I don’t think so. If you have any ketones, you’re in ketosis. My ketones are commonly 0.1 mmol/l in the mornings now.

I personally don’t take the GKI, as my ketones are too low most days.

And, now, I don’t take either ketones or blood sugar. I know from wearing a CGM that if I eat keto, my blood sugar is basically flat the whole day. And I know that there’s little I can do to affect ketones (or blood sugar, for that matter). So, there’s no reason for me to take these any more.

(Ivy) #5

Omg what’s the point of gki then

(bulkbiker) #6

Usually looked at when trying cancer treatment through keto… why do you think it might be important for you?

I’d also suggest that rather than make a new post every 5 minutes you take some time to read around the forum and maybe listen to some of the dudes podcasts. Most of your questions might be answered before you ask them.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #7

And in addition to what Mark says, since you keep posting about exceeding your carb limit, why not try actually eating under 20 g/day for, say, 60 days, and see what happens?

Also, bear in mind that, even though we call it a “ketogenic” diet, it is really a low-insulin diet, and it’s low insulin that makes almost all of the benefits possible. Fat is trapped in adipose tissue unless insulin is low, cells become insulin resistant when insulin is too high for too long, ketogenesis in the liver is inhibited unless insulin is low, blood pressure rises unless insulin is low, because high insulin interferes with the production of the nitric oxide the body needs to lower blood pressure. And so forth.

Once insulin drops low enough for ketogenesis in the liver, then there are many good things that the three ketone bodies can achieve. They fuel the brain, they benefit heart muscle when arteries are clogged, they regulate a number of gene complexes that otherwise interfere with health, β-hydroxybutyrate can reverse certain bowel problems such as irritable bowel syndrome, Crohn’s disease, and the like. And so forth. But none of that happens when insulin is high because insulin interferes with all that.

(Ivy) #8

What do I need for:

1. iodine
  2. potassium
  3. sodium
    considering both dietary and supplement sources?

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #9

If you do a forum search on each of those minerals, you should find some information. Or you can go on line and look—there are plenty of sites listing the recommended daily amounts.

(Ivy) #10

Where do I get them from, in supplement or food form?

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #11

Which would you prefer? You can do either.

(Ivy) #12

I would like to know about both

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #13

There are plenty of references on the Internet for how much of each mineral is included in each food. And there are plenty of sites willing to sell you supplements. You will have to do some research, unfortunately.