Testing glucose levels questions for a newbie

(Cheryl) #1

I’m getting my glucose meter soon I have a few questions…

1. First test in the morning what would be the ideal numbers?

2. When should I test after my first meal and do I do this at different times (30 min then an hour later)?

3. After my meal is there a safe range, meaning lets say my first test was 100 and 1/2
    Hr after my reading was 120 is this normal or should my reading stay at 100?

Thanks😄

(Richard Hanson) #2

Good Morning Cheryl,

I was T2D for many years and have tested my serum glucose levels thousands of time. After going on a ketogenic diet, I am no longer T2D, but I still test once a week at the same time I weigh in. My fasting serum glucose was 80 mg/dL this very morning.

What are your goals in testing your glucose?

For non-diabetics, fasting blood sugars levels, test when you awaken, should be < 100 mg/dL. There is a “dawn” effect where you body prepares for awakening and it is typical for the blood sugars to go up a bit just before waking up for the morning.

Before meals a healthy blood sugar level is between 70 mg/dL and 100 mg/dL.

Two hours after a meal, postprandial, < 140 mg/dL.

The American Diabetes Association (ADA) has specific recommendations for diabetics, but their dietary recommendations are just stupid , have been not only moronic but also quite harmful, so it is hard to trust anything they recommend,

If you are looking at T2D, pre-diabetic, metabolic syndrome, it is important to remember that serum glucose is only a symptom of the disease and not a cause. The underlying problem is insulin resistance and hyperinsulinemia. Glucose levels are easy to test, and inexpensive, so this is what everyone tests, but out of control glucose levels only appear long after the metabolic dysfunction starts and do not have much informational value. It is very unfortunate that the standard treatment for T2D focuses on glucose management rather then treating the underlying issues with insulin resistance and hyperinsulinemia.

If you are healthy, then testing blood sugar levels is, to a great extent, a waste of time. If you think you might be in trouble, then having your doctor check your HbA1c, and your insulin level would be more effective and better yet would be a Kraft insulin assay, although most clinical practitioners are going to have no knowledge of that protocol so you might need to educate your doctor.

Keto for Life,
Richard

(Darlene Horsley) #3

Welcome aboard Cheryl! You will find so much help and information here and everyone is wonderful.

(Darlene Horsley) #4

You always explain it so well. Thank you for that.

(Richard Hanson) #5

Blush …

Keto has made such a massive difference in my life that I experience a rather intensive moral obligation to do what little I can to help others reap the same amazing benefits even while we exist in a vast muddy swamp of dietary misinformation.

Keto for Life,
Richard

(Darlene Horsley) #6

From someone who is two and a half months in I am keto for life thanks to you! :hugs:

(Cheryl) #7

Wow thanks so much for all your information this will help me out a bunch!!

(Connie Mukuvari) #8

I also needed this very question answered. You have explained it so well. I was actually going ask if anyone ever had a problem with their meter because I stumbled upon the dawn effect this morning! Thank you both. :slight_smile: