Testing enhanced fat burn with raw whole ginger root

(Banting & Yudkin & Atkins & Eadeses & Cordain & Taubes & Volek & Naiman & Bikman ) #61

Women always gotta be more complicated. :wink:

If I were doing this in a lab, with unlimited funding, weā€™d give everyone a month to baseline at an iso-caloric, iso-macro intake. Then add whatever level of ginger intervention we wanted.

For the individual at home, this might be excessive, but for the pre-change woman, yeah, probably need at least a month to baselineā€¦ sorry.

(Troy) #62

Yum
Cheers

Whatcha got there? :slight_smile:

(Troy) #64

Drinking some Gin and JuicešŸ˜„
I mean a ginger root juice shot

(Bunny) #65

Notice in the research they are using two types of ginger; one from raw ginger extracted under high hydrostatic pressure (HPG e.g. much like cold pressed) and the other way is from hot water extraction (WEG) with a high fat diet (HF).

HF + HPG seems to shrink them even more?

That is fascinating! :face_with_monocle:

What can inhibit lipolysis besides insulin

How do you feel about ginger essential oils? Would you still get the same benefits? My friend is in Doterra and she was telling me about essential oilsā€¦

Iā€™m asking because iā€™m jumping on board the ginger train :slight_smile:

So sippin on gin juice :joy:
It looks like a shot-full of health :slight_smile:

(Troy) #68

Yup
Andā€¦ā€œ just rollin down the street ā€”-laid back ā€œ

Normally, Iā€™ll get it with cayenne pepper option
What a rushšŸ˜„

(Tamela Robinette) #69

:joy::joy::joy:

With my mind on my ā€œhealth-eyā€ and my ā€œhealth-eyā€ on my mindā€¦

So itā€™s just minced ginger and and an occasional cayenne kick?

(Troy) #71

Itā€™s Extracted Juice from the root
Some of the awesome options
Lemon, turmeric, orange, sometimes a cherry too
Honey or pineapple ( not for me though )
Mix and match

Or w cayenne like this:

Btw
Just got this here gem at a local farmers market just hours ago toošŸ˜„

ā€œ No officer, itā€™s not alcohol? Iā€™m driving just fine. Nothing too see here ā€œ

You should need a license to carry this :joy:

Looks great :slight_smile: definitely stealing your ideas :wink:

How do we feel about ginger essential oil?

Soooā€¦two months laterā€¦

I have to admit, I own no testing equipment and not likely to.

However, have been eating between 10 & 15 g of raw ginger since your post in April. And for the last week I have woken up hungry. Like whereā€™s my breakfast kind of hungry. Which is entirely new since I have been easily on a 18/6 eating pattern starting about week 2 of Keto.

Skipped the ginger one night - not hungry next morning. Ate the ginger next night, really hungry for breakfast.

Totally lacking in scientific data, but appears to be an interesting correlation.

(Michael - When reality fails to meet expectations, the problem is not reality.) #75

Thanks. I have suggested to others that one way to test informally is just that. The premise is that if indeed ginger root accelerates metabolism then one might indeed experience morning hunger when in the absence of eating ginger root one usually does not.

(Michael - When reality fails to meet expectations, the problem is not reality.) #76

I want to update what Iā€™m currently doing with this, which is not much. However, I began again about a week or 10 days ago to eat raw ginger root in the evenings about an hour before bedtime. Not every night, but most nights.

After the first couple of days I started waking up in the morning feeling hungry! After waking up in hunger, at least my version of it, for about a week I figured I was probably losing weight so I decided to weigh in this morning. 141 pounds. For the past week my BrAce has been trending up as well. For the past couple of days it has not gone below 20ppm and maxed at 45ppm. So again I have informal evidence for the efficacy of ginger root accelerating fat burn.

Not sure when Iā€™ll do a more formal test. I want to continue eating the ginger root, but I donā€™t want to lose more weight right now. So today I upped my daily calories from 2700 to 2800. Iā€™m keeping my protein at 90 grams per day, so changing the calories necessitated changing my fat:protein macros a little.

(Eric - The patient needs to be patient!) #77

What is BrAce

(Bunny) #78

ā€¦Breath Acetone Concentration (BrAce)

Measuring breath acetone for monitoring fat loss: Review

A scathing review by Richard Nikoley:

ā€ā€¦Hereā€™s one of the papers Anderson reviewed (below) showing clearly that one can be fully in ketosis on a high-carbohydrate diet, provided calories are sufficiently restricted. ā€¦ā€ ā€¦More

Note: important distinction to be made; higher carbohydrate diet vs. junk food?

Following these studies, Kundu et al. performed a confirmative study (full text). BrAce was measured in humans (n = 58) on a 30 day calorie restriction diet 8. Initial body weights were 10ā€30% over the ideal weight (a body mass index, BMI, range of 27.5ā€32.5 with ideal BMI = 25 kg māˆ’2). The composition of the diet was high carbohydrate, moderate protein, and low fat. Breath samples, collected upon awakening, sampled the first 380ml of exhaled breath after a 5 s breath hold. On average, BrAce increased over the first 8 days and reached a relative stable plateau after day 7. Fat loss (g dayāˆ’1) increased with the average BrAce after day 7. Fat loss and BrAce were greater for experimental subjects than controls. Maintaining a BrAce= 85 nM (āˆ¼2.1 ppm) corresponded to a fat loss of 227 g weekāˆ’1 (0.5 lbs weekāˆ’1). [emphasis added] ā€¦More

ā€œAndā€¦ā€œ just rollin down the street ā€”-laid back ā€œ

All you need is a blunt now :rofl:

(Sorry for the late reply!)

(Michael - When reality fails to meet expectations, the problem is not reality.) #80

Thanks. To be clear, Richard Nikoley is not dissing the use of BrAce to measure fat/ketone utilization. Heā€™s attacking the obvious: the misconception that any measured fat/ketone utilization is due to endogenous fat metabolism. Well, duh, some calorie restriction of dietary intake is necessary to burn endogenous fat. Who woulda thunk? As I continually point out Keto is not magic.

I noted way back at the beginning of this topic, my experience is that ginger root enhances fat burn, and endogenous fat burn, only if one restricts calories to some extent. In my case thatā€™s anywhere between 100-200 calories less than my daily target. By the way, although I upped my total daily calorie target yesterday to 2800 and actually ate 2795 (of which 2392 were fat calories), I awoke hungry this morning. BrAce was 25ppm. I think hunger is a marker of endogenous fat burn. Itā€™s your bodyā€™s way of telling you youā€™re running on empty and itā€™s time to refuel.

For any/all who have not checked out this topic, please do so.