Tanning?

("Don't call it calories, call it food") #1

Is tanning (at a tanning place, not outside) really that dangerous? Never done it but debating it before a wedding…

(Scott) #2

I could turn this around and ask “is it all that healthy?”

I guess you could do it for an event and be okay but the general view of a healthy tan is falling out of favor. It is also worth noting that it can age the skin.

(Eric - The patient needs to be patient!) #3

@Rclause

Being outside (not tanning bed) and getting some exposure seems to impart more benefits that risks.
According to Dr. Paul Mason

(Christy) #4

As does alcohol. We all get to pick our poison.

@elastoplastic I tan year round. Preferably in natural sunlight but, it is limited here in Seattle so I use tanning beds about twice a week during the doom & gloom.

There are different level beds, different UVA/UVB outputs … I am not a doctor but, can hardly see any long term ill effects of tanning a time or 2 to prepare for an outing.

(Scott) #5

I just question the indoor tanning for the most part. Outside I tend to cover my bald head with a hat but allow some sun to hit me. I don’t go to sun block unless I plan on spending enough time out to get a serious burn. It is likely a fine line between healthy and too much. Several melanomas in my family so I lean toward being a bit cautious about the sun exposure.

(Robert C) #6

The danger is not from a single group of say 5 to 7 exposures (incrementally increasing) before a wedding.

The danger is going, hearing how healthy/great you look and then making it a habit.

I agree with Robert, my mom managed a tanning salon for over a decade and I was not allowed to tan there. She learned so much about the damage it can cause and it can be habit forming to the point it can be abused (they actually fired customers if they found out they were tanning at multiple locations because it is highly dangerous to overuse). Often people going somewhere tropical on vacation would come in and tan moderately for up to two weeks before leaving to try to protect themselves from being crisped at their destination spot - I think that or short term for a special event is ok for most people who have no family or personal history of skin cancer.

("Don't call it calories, call it food") #8

Thanks all, helpful input

(Eric - The patient needs to be patient!) #9

@RobC
@Rclause
@elastoplastic
All good. I just wanted to inform about the benefits of “safe” exposure. Dr. Mason talks about limited UV A and getting more UV B. I have had pre cancer on my head and have had a chemo cream to remove it twice. I do get some exposure on warmer days however. I try to limit to <10am or >2 pm when UV A is less but UV B is not much less.

I will say that I have no scaly spots on my bald spot after being full keto. Can’t want to show my Dr. Dermo my head. So smooth. I thought it might be autophagy but @atomicspacebunny tells me it might be a dramatic reduction in advanced glycation end products. I think she is right according to this paper. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3583887/ and other research.

So the risk seems to be lower for full keto persons. Dr. Mason’s presentation is really informative. I plan on watching it again.

Have a great weekend.

(Scott) #10

I have this as well and hope keto reduces it. Dr. told me about the chemo cream and I said whatever is cheap and quick. I was expecting him to tell me to come back another day but he snatched a bottle of liquid Nitro of the counter and went medieval on my head. It was the worst brain freeze I ever had. Its almost time to switch to short sleeve shirts here until October. If I can lose my belly I my even go shirtless!

(Anne) #11

Were you eating wheat before going keto? I have celiacs as does my dad, and for both of us the first annoying enough to seek an answer symptom was a rash. It presented like scabs on my scalp, upper back, upper arms, and thighs. Once gluten free it cleared up. Head scabs vanishing on keto sounds a bit like dermatitis herpetiformis to me! (Celiac rash)

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #12

To my surprise, I have recently come across a couple of remarks by respected researchers to the effect that on a ketogenic diet, sunburn is less likely and sun exposure is more beneficial.

I would suspect that someone would have to be on a ketogenic diet for a while before sun exposure would be safe, but that is a complete guess on my part.

(Jill F.) #13

I personally think it is dangerous. I used them intermittently in my 20s and got some strange looking freckles on my arms and breast area. I had them biopsied and all 4 places had cancer cells. Dr said had I not had them removed I would have had skin cancer spread for sure. It scared me and I have scars to prove the stupidity on my part.
I now use 50 to 100 SPF daily, spray tan as needed, and enjoy my 45 year old skin that looks 25!

(Robert C) #14

Well ancestral man (in some places I assume) got lots of sun.

I wonder if they are just noticing that, Keto, in the way it keeps your body away from modern, processed and carby foods (as well as the benefit of weight loss) - that it might be reducing chances of cancers of many types.

(PSackmann) #15

If you’re going for a touch of color, you should be fine. I haven’t gone to a tanning bed in ages, what I did learn as a pale-complected person is, don’t listen to the people who work there. The first time you feel a bit of heat or tingling, get out for the day.
Funny story, I was going to VA Beach for a short vacation and wanted to be prepared to be out in the sun. I went to a tanning salon for a couple of weeks to work up a bit of color. Spent the day on the beach with no shade…and ended up with stripes of red and tan. It seems the bed had some of the bulbs removed, not enough to notice during regular tanning sessions, but enough to show when exposed to more sun. Moral is, the color from tanning beds will prevent burning, but make sure you’re going to a salon that doesn’t go cheap with the bulbs.
Have fun at the wedding!

Here and there isn’t going to do any harm, don’t get addicted and depending on how light you are make sure your first 2-3 visits are like 3-4 minutes and 2 days apart assuming a standup. Beds take longer so maybe 5-6? I never did those very often.

(Eric - The patient needs to be patient!) #17

I used the cream two years. First year on the top of my head and then the 2nd my forehead, face and temples. It slowly kills cancer and precancer cells. First year was okay. Second year the pain and rawness was bad. Called my dermo and she said stop. It has done its magic. Then she told me to put vaseline on my wounds. That helped.

Now with keto my head has no rough spots, none. I see Dermo in May and am really interested in what she says.

I don’t really get indoor tanning for beauty, t-shirt tans hold more appeal to me. But tanning to prevent sunburn is actually a pretty good idea, as it’s easier to control the amount of exposure that way.

(squirrel-kissing paper tamer) #19

I use a tanning bed about four times a year during Jan-March to get some sun during the grayest months of the year. I don’t burn, get out when I get uncomfortable and have a complexion that tans easily. I think minimal use of the tanning bed is okay but I never do my face, ever.

(Wendy) #20

I used the tanning beds before my trip to Honduras. I only went maybe 4 times but it is a bit addicting. Since I came back I’ve been in three times. I do use spf 80 and 100 especially on my face (and belly since that doesn’t usually get any sun exposure) . I really like the warmth but I don’t really want to age my skin or increase my cancer risks.