Tanning?

(Running from stupidity) #21

They’re banned commercially down here.

(Lisa ) #22

Just curious have thought about a spray tan? It doesn’t last as long but no Uvb. They have at most tanning salons or you can purchase them and do it at home.
I have used a few that were not to expensive and looked great for summer! Fake Bake Flawless (Amazon ) or Million Dollar Tan Mousse. Just exfoliate really good 1st and watch a YouTube video they exsplain everything!
Best wishes!:blush::+1:

(Windmill Tilter) #23

Great tip on not tanning the face. I hadn’t really thought about it, but thats the one part of me that probably already gets too much sun. :+1:

I’ve been tanning at the gym once a week for about 8 minutes to see if I can avoid a sunburn like I usually get on the first sunny day of spring.

(Karim Wassef) #24

I’ll be the outlier here- I tan because of the health benefits.

I have a naturally darker skin pigment (olive let’s say) and darker skinned people need more exposure to UV to stimulate sufficient nitric oxide and vitamin D.

There is a large difference between tanning and burning. Too much of anything can cause irreparable damage, but cyclic exposure can stimulate and strengthen the organism. I try to tan every other day for 20mins.

This is the first winter that I have not gotten sick even without a flu shot. The rest of the family got the flu shot and still got varying degrees of the flu and colds. I didn’t and I credit the good dietary fats, low inflammation from fasting and Keto and cyclic UV.

I even measure my glucose and ketone before and after. I used to see a spike in glucose and a reduction in ketones when I started - a stress response. After several months, I register no glucose response at all (no stress) but my ketones drop showing an expenditure of energy in response to the external stressor. My ketones rebound within an hour or so- same as it does with exercise.

I employ multiple stressors: sauna, ice baths, cold showers, heavy lifting, and UV… and do it all while fasting to train my body to be comfortable with discomfort and it works wonders.

(CharleyD) #25

My n=1 since giving up my sugar burner ways in 2016 is that it takes me a day or two more of exposure to get color, the color lasts for about a season, and it takes a lot longer to get uncomfortable in the sun than before.

I’m not sure how many days of consecutive sun it would take to actually burn me. I chalk it up to a resistance to radiation that’s also found amongst the fasting keto cancer patients. There’s just a greater sense of wellbeing that I feel when laying out in the sun on an empty stomach with a cup of ice water.

Edit: mostly Italian ancestry here so YMMV.

(Karim Wassef) #26

I think a healthy way of eating reduces inflammation and strengthens the immune system in general. It makes the body much more capable and adaptable.

("Don't call it calories, call it food") #27

Wow thank you everyone. Really interesting thoughts. I have fair skin, so it might be a moot point as who knows if it will work! :slight_smile:

(Karim Wassef) #28

Fair skin is much better at converting UV to vitamin D. That efficiency means that you can get in 5 minutes what takes me 20.

The other effect is nitric oxide which improves circulation. I don’t know the difference there.

Dr Paul Mason’s vid posted above is great and see it as applying to all controlled UV exposure (not burning).

DAMNIT! I didn’t know that. I’m olive skinned (Italian) and my vitamin D levels always suck even with 10000iu’s daily. I’ve also looked into tanning for the BENEFITS but wasn’t aware of that. My smartass kid (he’s only 6) always finds a reason to remind me that him and mommy have the same skin… but not me! Even draws me dark when he draws family pics. Wife thinks it’s the most hilarious thing going.

Did this when he just turned 5, I also apparently don’t have arms LOL