Tamales

mexican
tamales

That’s my idea of a vacation. No joke. I guess the term is “stay-cation”. I’m perfectly happy staying home and cooking up a storm!! :fork_and_knife::sparkling_heart:

(James storie) #22

Yep, even when I go on vacation, if there is a kitchen and or grill, you know where to find me! Happens every time, but I love it!

I’m going to run out of likes on this page alone… :heart:

(Ros R) #24

Thanks for sharing. I tried a “keto tamale pie” that was so-so because I was too lazy to make individual wrapped tamales. Here’s the link to the keto tamale pie: http://alldayidreamaboutfood.com/2016/11/low-carb-tamale-pie.html. Only change I made was to add baby corn to the “masa.” I’ll definitely have to add this to my list of things to try. Fortunately, I live in Texas so all the grocery stores here typically have dried husks for tamale making.

(carl) #25

I wonder if xanthan gum would be a good binder, not diluting the flavor or adding extra protein…

Tamale pie…brilliant idea, @rosibear.

I think in South America there is a dish called “Pastel de Choclo”…from Chile if I’m not mistaken. Down in South they call corn “choclo”, and not mais. Me thinks I might have to keto hack a pastel de choclo and add it to the recipes on this forum :grinning:. Thanks for the inspiration, @rosibear!!

That’s an excellent idea, @carl. Certainly an opportunity to make it even more keto. I need to redo this recipe for version 2.0 with “microbial poo” :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

(8 year Ketogenic Veteran) #28

I stockpiled fresh corn husks. They’ll be waiting in my fridge till Sunday when I break my fast.
I’ll be dreaming of tamales all week @Fiorella

:joy: funny

Yesterday I stockpiled some in freezer so to have during season when there’s no fresh corn available.

Almond flour makes a great masa substitute. Actually, I think it’s superior to the original.

(James storie) #31

Mixed just like regular masa?

What is your ratios of ingredients that you use for almond flour in masa? And what other ingredients with almond flour?

I don’t have ratios. Depending on how much I’m making, I’ll add just enough lard to form a ball of dough. Freshly toasted, then ground, cumin seeds. I do this to taste and I like a lot of cumin, so it’s hard to do too much. Salt. Sometimes I’ll add little juice from the cooked meat or bone broth. For the meat, of course, anything goes but it’s usually smoked chicken or pork butt.

They are pretty filling, so with guac and sour cream I just have one usually.

Interesting. You don’t add anything to get a corn flavour? Does the masa bind with almond flour by itself, or fall apart?

If I get too moist, it can fall apart. The end product comes out just like a tamale. I might try the baby corn trick with the almond flour. As it is, I’ve been dreaming of having a food truck with my "secret ingredient " tamales.

Ooh, just remembered I’ve used ground macadamia nuts also, and it’s pretty good. Still need some almond flour to bind and crumbles easier.

Interesting…next time you make the almond flour or macadamia version, I hope you post pictures here to share. It would be nice to have different versions for people to try.

(James storie) #38

You know, I used to make homemade tortillas with masa flour. I wonder how almond flour tortillas made the same way would work? I know the ones made this way on the market always uses other highly carby flours as well. Like siesta brand.

Corn tortillas has been keto hacked:

I would like to redo them with sesame seeds, as well as xanthum gum.

Sesame seeds are cheaper than almonds, and they have more omega 3, too.