Tamales

mexican
tamales

:joy: funny

:corn::stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Really? Can you share link? I haven’t seen any keto recipe for tamales. I’d like to know how they did it.

I got the idea of using sesame seed after talking to an El Salvadoran lady who told me she adds sesame seeds to the corn masa. I keto hacked the recipe by adding the egg white, because baby corn lacks the starch to bind the dough.

Thanks for correcting my spelling of tamal. I will make correction. :grinning:

Awesome! :smiley:

:corn::zornface:

Sure, there’s a whole thread about it:

http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/showthread.php?t=758900

I tried that version with good results once, but the masa didn’t always firm up.

(Oh and I wasn’t directing the tamal remark at you, just threw it out there for general edification lol.)

ACCKKK – I just realized I used my last can of baby corn for a failed tortilla experiment – if you have any ideas for that project, I’m all ears!!! Or eyes. Or whatever…

Pssst! Show me yer taco!

Oh heck…i don’t mind at all…we are all here to learn from each other. I appreciate it :grin:

Thanks for the link !!

(James storie) #20

Bookmarked! I’m going to have to take a week off work to cook everything I want too!.

That’s my idea of a vacation. No joke. I guess the term is “stay-cation”. I’m perfectly happy staying home and cooking up a storm!! :fork_and_knife::sparkling_heart:

(James storie) #22

Yep, even when I go on vacation, if there is a kitchen and or grill, you know where to find me! Happens every time, but I love it!

I’m going to run out of likes on this page alone… :heart:

(Ros R) #24

Thanks for sharing. I tried a “keto tamale pie” that was so-so because I was too lazy to make individual wrapped tamales. Here’s the link to the keto tamale pie: http://alldayidreamaboutfood.com/2016/11/low-carb-tamale-pie.html. Only change I made was to add baby corn to the “masa.” I’ll definitely have to add this to my list of things to try. Fortunately, I live in Texas so all the grocery stores here typically have dried husks for tamale making.

(carl) #25

I wonder if xanthan gum would be a good binder, not diluting the flavor or adding extra protein…

Tamale pie…brilliant idea, @rosibear.

I think in South America there is a dish called “Pastel de Choclo”…from Chile if I’m not mistaken. Down in South they call corn “choclo”, and not mais. Me thinks I might have to keto hack a pastel de choclo and add it to the recipes on this forum :grinning:. Thanks for the inspiration, @rosibear!!

That’s an excellent idea, @carl. Certainly an opportunity to make it even more keto. I need to redo this recipe for version 2.0 with “microbial poo” :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

(8 year Ketogenic Veteran) #28

I stockpiled fresh corn husks. They’ll be waiting in my fridge till Sunday when I break my fast.
I’ll be dreaming of tamales all week @Fiorella

:joy: funny

Yesterday I stockpiled some in freezer so to have during season when there’s no fresh corn available.

Almond flour makes a great masa substitute. Actually, I think it’s superior to the original.

(James storie) #31

Mixed just like regular masa?

What is your ratios of ingredients that you use for almond flour in masa? And what other ingredients with almond flour?