Taking salt on extended fast?

(Brent) #1

So salt really helps me on my extended fasts especially on day 3 when i usually feel horrible. I generally consider about 1/2 tsp a day about right. My question is there any really good way to injest the salt. I’ve tried just putting the salt under my tongue and swigging some water really quick and that is NASTY. My gag reflex happens every time. I also tried adding a little to my water hoping i couldn’t taste it that much but yep i can taste it and it makes drinking my water more difficult and my water bottle is definitely on the large size 40oz/1183mL. I thought about buying salt tablets but wow they overcharge for these (cheapest was about $15 on amazon). Is there any other ways?

I personally don’t always use Salt whilst Fasting, but I do find it helps with leg cramping at times, when it occurs. … When I do use any, I use the Morton’s Lite Salt, which also provides potassium and I take Magnesium Citrate for Magnesium. - I generally use 1/8 tsp. of Morton’s Lite, with 1/2 tbsp. MC twice a day in about 20 ounces of water. Not the greatest taste, but I drink it straight down and be done with it.

It seems to work when I do experience any cramping in the legs. But lately here, I haven’t been using it much at all. You could always try getting large granular Sea Salt, which is easier to take here and there, if you don’t like the salt taste. Being larger in size, it’s no where near the saltiness of table salt since the table salt has so many pieces compared to the smaller amount you get with the larger granular. (It cuts down on the saltiness quite a bit) but I too used to put some of that under the tongue a while back and it never seemed to bother me. But guess you need to like the taste of salt as well.

I actually still have a container of Morton’s Lite in my desk, but couldn’t tell ya the last time I’ve used it?

(Brent) #3

Thanks for the reply. I’m actually using Real Salt Kosher

No problem. Either type, I’m sure the larger granular will help. It’s much easier to put some in your mouth and chase it down with water. If done quick enough, you shouldn’t taste it much, if at all.

(Bob M) #5

Supposedly, it works faster if you put it under your tongue. I just tried that, and get maybe 30% under the tongue, the rest goes to the surface.

Like Digital_Dave, I also use a bit of potassium (No Salt, KCl instead of NaCl).

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #6

I once saw instructions on a packet of electrolyte mix to the effect of, “Drink this mix until it stops tasting good. Then you know you’ve drunk enough.” I find the same applies to salt. If I like the taste, I need it; if I don’t like the taste, I don’t.

I believe in a video I recently watched, that was linked in the Fasting thread, Dr. Fung was even saying that one does not necessarily need to supplement electrolytes (sodium, potassium, magnesium, etc.) at all, since the body will actually provide what is needed in itself. But also stated if one does indeed think they need it, then by all means, do so. (If I remember correctly) - But for me personally, I agree with him on that point, but do find that sometimes when I don’t supplement those things at all, I at times can/will get leg cramps. And when I do supplement those things, I don’t seem to get them, at least as much. But can also say this happened more when I first started Fasting, and don’t see it as much these days.

For instance, I Fasted 70 hrs. last week and just broke a 51 hr. Fast this week, (today actually) & didn’t take anything and didn’t get any leg cramping at all. So maybe after some time it doesn’t have the same effects? This I can’t say for sure, but can say when I Fast, I do actually Water Fast with nothing else.

Dr, Berry and his wife Neisha had a great video on how to make a pretty tasty salt solution.
1 litre bottle of perrier, (or some other fizzy water)
1/2 tsp No salt
1/2 tsp Dr. Redmonds Real salt
3-5 drops liquid stevia
3-5 drops orange oil.

When I’ve done extended fasts, I alternate between this and full sodium chicken broth. I get horrific muscle cramps, and I find that the extra salt helps tremendously.

(Allie) #9

I bought empty capsules and a capsule maker to make my own, do this with many supplements.

(Bob M) #10

Interesting. I haven’t tried that test – that is, seeing if I stop liking the taste of salt if I continue with it.

I have been drinking pickle juice again, as I have some. Whoa, that’s hit to the gut! No wonder it stops cramps – you can’t have a cramp when you’re being assaulted by pickle juice. It’s almost as bad, or possibly worse, than swigging some high-concentration apple cider vinegar + water.

(Brent) #11

Interesting. How hard are they to fill?

(Allie) #12

Really easy.
The capsule maker takes 24 at a time, you put the empty capsules in to the two parts of the thing, fill the bottom parts with whatever you want to, put the top layer on and press the two together before popping the capsules back out.

This is the one I have -

(Brent) #13

I actually thought this was a great recommendation. I ordered 1000 gelatin capsules off of amazon and also a set of small spoons needed to fill these and i don’t have to pay 15-20 per fast on salt pills. I actually prefer real salt over plain salt too… I might eventually get a micro scale to better gage how many to take per day