Swerve info confusing

(Wesley Doran) #1

Hi Guys
I am posting recipes in the Uk for a large number of people so I need to be absolutely certain on this . The Swerve website contact form does not work? So I have been using erithritol with 1 carb for gram of sugar but recently came across info on Swerve proclaiming to have zero carbs. One of the ingredients is erithritol so slightly confused. are they saying if I use 20 grams of Swerve in a dish the macros are zero carbs? I need to be certain. Am I missing something?
Thanks in advance .
UK Wes

(Polly) #2

I have just looked at the nutrition panel and it claims 4g serving contains 4g carbs. They say elsewhere that they regard it as a zero impact substance.

Sorry this has not answered your question!

Personally, I would not ingest this or anything made from it.

If you lose your taste for sweetened things real foods taste much sweeter.

(Allie) #3

Swerve is American and not freely available here, erythritol is fine as a substitute - labelling rules vary country to country.

Most people using erythritol count 50% of the carbs but some need to count all. There’s no concrete answer on this.

('Jackie P') #4

Erythritol is a sugar alcohol which is indigestible by humans. Since we don’t have the necessary enzyme, it is passed through the body without the negative effects of sugar. Most of it is actually released unaltered through our urine! It has a glycemic index of 0 (meaning it does not spike blood sugar) and it’s not metabolized by oral bacteria so it doesn’t cause tooth decay. It is, effectively, 0 net carbs.
I use erythritol occasionally and never count the carbs.