Sustained Fed Ketosis - the Preferred Human State, Discussion

(Michael - When reality fails to meet expectations, the problem is not reality.) #1

Slides, notes, and references of Amber O’Hearn’s presentation at Low Carb Breckenridge 2018:

Ketosis Without Starvation: the human advantage

The Ketogenic Diet for Health

lcb18-29-1

YouTube

Keto vs Low Carb?
Fat Is the Preferred Fuel for Human Metabolism - Metabolic Paradigm Shift
(Bob M) #2

On what planet is the ketogenic diet 8% protein?

You’d have to gobble fat to get that low. 8 percent of 2,000 calories = 128 calories = 32 grams of protein per day. Sarcopenia, anyone?

(Michael - When reality fails to meet expectations, the problem is not reality.) #3

Planet Epilepsy. I think that ‘ketogenic diet’ is therapeutic nomenclature, which is why what we do is ‘modified ketogenic’. Confusing.

(Bob M) #4

Yeah, that’s gotta be changed. If you want to call it something else, even PKD (paleolithic ketogenic diet) or maybe low protein keto, I could handle that. But I can stay in ketosis eating massive amounts of protein per day, so even high protein/low fat is keto, as long as carbs are low.

Personally, I dislike the term PKD, as it assumes we knew what the heck paleo people ate and also that it’s somehow “ideal”. We don’t really know what paleo people ate (and it likely changed depending on where you lived), and until there are studies of PKD versus other keto diets showing PKD is somehow better for the normal person, I think it’s gotten a cloud of “I’m better than thou” over it. Or at least I perceive it that way. Though I could be – and usually am – wrong.

(Bob M) #5

I should say, it’s gotten a cloud of “I’m better than thou” over it, with no real scientific basis for that.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #6

Many people on these forums can often be quite strict about distinguishing low-carb, high-fat from keto, but I personally see no difference in the terminology. LCHF low enough in carbohydrate for the term to be meaningful is ketogenic, even if the amount of carbohydrate is a bit more than 20 g/day. The threshold under which we have to eat is idiosyncratic anyway, and 20 g/day is just Carl’s and Richard’s best guess at a level that will put almost everyone into ketosis. The story circulating when I joined the forums was that the Dudes really wanted to tell everyone 0 (zero) g/day, but were afraid no one would go for it! :grin:

Dr. Phinney uses the terms LCHF and “well-formulated ketogenic diet” interchangeably. Perhaps we should be less eager to use “ketogenic,” given the connection with epilepsy that Michael mentions. People sometimes have some odd ideas about nutritional ketosis, based on the effects of the epileptic ketogenic diet.

(Full Metal KETO AF) #7

You have a problem with it because you don’t understand it. PKD has nothing to do with being better than others. It’s not the original ancestral Paleo diet either. PKD was developed for people with extremely challenging health issues to try when nothing else has helped. Talking brain tumors, severe immune disorders, cancers. It’s not the best diet for everyone and I have never heard anyone say differently. It’s extreme but effective for some of those hard core sick people.

I haven’t ever heard of someone healthy doing PKD because they believed it was the superior diet for everyone. Basically it’s head to tail carnivore with a ketogenic fat macro target to maximize ketones and a hard limit on the amount of food daily, 400-600g total daily. So it’s calorie restriction too. There’s an emphasis on organ meats as well because they provide extra nutrients for body repairs. It was developed as a medical intervention not a way to “outdo” keto slackers and be better.

Bob, you and I are old enough to quit caring what others think of us and looking at this keto thing as a competition for being smarter and hipper than others. Who cares if idiots feel superior? We do what we’ve found works for us. :slightly_smiling_face: Thankfully I don’t feel the need for something as extreme as PKD although I do still have some major health challenges. But I really feel for the folks who have to resort to PKD as a last resort :heart:, it’s not an easy way to live. :cowboy_hat_face:

(Bunny) #8

Me myself I like to turn-off the IFG-1 aging switch from eating only protein and carbs more often than not because I want to catabolize rather than anabolize and slow down the aging processes.

The more you push your foot on the IFG-1 accelerator the shorter your life span will be (cancer[4]) and eating only protein (or overeating it) everyday is the perfect substance that creates a short life span?

Amber O’Hearn: ”…Many believe that staying in either phase prolongedly leads to disease.

And so you will hear people talk about metabolic switching, metabolic flexibility, insulin pulsatility, and so on.

Ketosis is normally an indication and a signal of the fasting state, so reason tells us that chronic long-term ketosis is unhealthy.

[Graphic from a blog post on the role of bitter in enhancing the starvation signal. https://rosemarycottageclinic.wordpress.com/2017/07/28/how-can-bitter-foods-be-good-for-us-when-they-taste-so-bad-tackling-the-paradox/] …” …More

But the advantage to the above graphic means a stronger immune system (bigger thymus gland) rather than temporary reproductive functionality?

When it comes to portion size and eating windows Fung et al Satchin Panda rules when it comes to longevity…woot woot! :turtle:

References:

[1] “…Insulin/insulin-like growth factor (IGF) signaling plays a major role in the control of aging and life span in invertebrates. Major extension of life span in growth hormone receptor knock out (GHR-KO) mice that are GH resistant, and subsequently, IGF-I-deficient indicates that similar mechanisms may operate in mammals. …” …More

[2] Late-life targeting of the IGF-1 receptor improves healthspan and lifespan in female mice

[3] “…several strategies are now used to lower IGF-1: caloric restriction, exercise, and fasting. Reducing protein may lower IGF-1 in humans more effectively than caloric restriction. In older women, high dietary folate is associated with low IGF-1. …” …More

image image link

[4] “…The reduction of serum levels of IGF-I was significantly associated with the reduction in the consumption of animal products ( p = 0.04). Conclusions: Women in the intervention group showed significant improvements in IGF-I and in other IRm that might influence the penetrance of BRCA mutations. …” …More

[5] The IGF-1 Trade-Off: Performance vs. Longevity

[6] ”…It’s important to consider that folate —typically high in vegetarian and vegan diets— can mask the presence of vitamin B12 deficiency. The preferred form of B12 supplements is cyanocobalamin. …” …More

[7] ”…Large amounts of folic acid can mask the damaging effects of vitamin B12 deficiency by correcting the megaloblastic anemia caused by vitamin B12 deficiency [3,5] without correcting the neurological damage that also occurs [1,34]. …” …More

See also (folate & folic acid):

[1] “…The majority of the pre-packaged. foods found in the grocery store have been through this process and fortified with folic acid. This is bad news for people with the MTHFR mutation. People with this mutation are unable to rid their bodies of folic acid. It builds up, blocking folate receptors and wrecking havoc. This build up is known as folic acid toxicity. **Most lab tests do not distinguish between folic acid and folate when measuring blood levels. If folic acid intake is high, the results may show an individual has adequate amounts of folate. This is misleading as the individual actually has high levels of unusable folic acid, with little to no folate.This situation can cause the body to believe it is malnourished and result in unnecessary storing of energy (weight gain). …More

[2] Folic Acid vs Folate — What’s the Difference?

[3] 15 Healthy Foods That Are High in Folate (Folic Acid)

(Ken) #9

The Atkins’s diet is the same macro as the Paleodiet.