Supplements use during an intermittent fast

newbies
fasting
intermittentfasting

(Tomasz Gawel) #1

Hi there!

I’ve just passed my first 156-hour fast yesterday and thought of going onto the intermittent 16/8 fast.
During my extended fast I followed protocols mentioned by Dominic D’Agostino and Rhonda Patrick in Joe Rogan’s podcast, which involved the use of supplements (eg. magnesium, potassium, vitamin C, etc.)

Does the intermittent fast only allow me to ingest supplements during the 6-hour-window?

• I’m new to the community, glad to see that such forum exists :slight_smile:

(Tim W) #2

You might want to play with different protocols and see how you feel, the IF police won’t show up though if you start the morning with them.

I use IF (19/5) and I have my supplements in the morning with my black coffee, it seems to help since I’m not taking them on an empty stomach, some supps really make themselves known when taking them without food!

I then have another portion of them with my first meal, last of them with last meal.

(VLC.MD) #3

Yes, as long as they aren’t gummy vitamins !

Long term, IF doesnt need as much supplementing as Fasting.

Might be a logical idea to keep with vitamin supplementation after your 156h fast.

The way I see it … for fasting this is the preferred intake: (best to worst)

1. water
    1. non-caloric vitamins.
    1. anything without calories
    1. smaller amounts of fat.
    1. larger amounts of fat
    1. alcohol (nothing like starting your day with an eye opener !)
    1. protein
    1. carbs
    1. Zero fat, Zero protein Cereal (What children in North America typically eat)
    1. Sugar

The list is best to worst list in terms of lowest effect on insulin stimulation.

(KCKO, KCFO) #4

Welcome to the forums.

I take my supplements with some of the foods I eat when doing IF. My tummy doesn’t like it when I take them during an extended fast. The only thing I do then is have some ketoaid or a similar drink with sodium, potassium and magnesium. I do eat a whole lot of pink salt when I am fasting, ok, I eat a lot of it any time.