Supplements to improve strength training

(Peter Barney) #32

I have had no problems with creatine kicking me out of ketosis, I use it daily in conjunction with my work outs my daily blood ketones hang between 0.8 - 1.9

(Abraham Reyes) #33

it depends on what brand of creatine monohydrate you use some are mixed with sugars just get pure creatine monohydrate it has no carbs and it shouldn’t kick you out of ketosis … I’ve tested my blood and I stay within my normal ketone levels

(Abraham Reyes) #34

(Jake P) #35

What do you all think about this?

https://www.amazon.com/Universal-Nutrition-Pre-Workout-Creatine-Supplement/dp/B00166D8O2

I started doing Strong Lifts 5X5; I haven’t used any supplements yet, and with the great foods I am eating on Keto, I’m not sure I need them, but still, an edge is an edge.

(eat more) #36

i say no
but i’ve had more than one bad experience with preworkout so if it actually does provide an edge…at what cost? and there’s usually all kinds of other crap in them
the whole preworkout thing is realitively new…like the last 10-15 years…before that it was coffee :blush:

are you struggling with getting through your training? like above muscle fatigue or unusual in relation to the effort you’re putting out?

i also say save your money and have bpc or just some straight fat before your training…
about 10-15 years ago a bodybuilder told me “have 2T of peanut butter before the gym…you’ll be amazed with your workout”
this was in low fat days but i did it anyway cuz i liked pb lol

(G. Andrew Duthie) #37

Contains caffiene and maltodextrin. If I want caffiene pre-workout, there’s always coffee. :slight_smile:

I think there’s potential merit to supplements, but this particular product looks like it’s a bunch of stuff thrown together in packaging to appeal to wanna-be bros. Probably better to research the individual supplements (like creatine or citrulline, etc.) and do some testing on yourself and see if they are helpful.

Far cheaper that way, too. Here’s the creatine I’ve used (still have a bunch, and considering adding it back into my pre-post workout beverages):

https://www.amazon.com/Monohydrate-Micronized-BulkSupplements-Performance-Bodybuilding/dp/B00E9M4XEE/ref=sr_1_7_s_it?s=hpc&ie=UTF8&qid=1490801971&sr=1-7&keywords=creatine&th=1

Much, much cheaper than the packets of combined stuff, some of which I don’t even recognize.

And FWIW, this topic is quite timely for me…I’m also doing SL 5x5, and I’m getting to the point of failure on OHP, and probably close to it on both squat and deadlift, though the latter I think may be partly a matter of needing chalk to improve my grip on the bar.

KB's KETO Diet Study
(Jake P) #38

I am not struggling yet regarding the weight, I’m getting board of squatting, though but that’s ok. I have been going later at night, between 8:30-9:30, sometimes I feel more tired than usual, but chalking that up to the late time.

The peanut butter sounds like a good idea.

(eat more) #39

how long have you been doing 5x5?
maybe your brain is just bored…i get bored with my training far too often :joy:
i’m doing a 5x5 program also but i think today i’m going to do 3x8-10 sets of the same exercises just for something different

(Jake P) #40

I had lots of false starts, or would get in a few weeks and peter out, I have been going consistently for over a month.
I started going with a friend and that has helped considerably. I can tell a difference and I like what I see so I’m dedicated to this.

(G. Andrew Duthie) #41

I wonder if working out alone is part of the problem. I could probably push harder if someone was encouraging me. But the reality is that I haven’t got the time, nor someone who is similarly interested in the workouts, to push me.

I usually work out first thing in the morning, so I might be well served to have a little fat and/or coffee before I work out, and then go to it.

Also struggling in part because of a foot injury, having slipped on the stairs over the weekend. Not bad enough to prevent me working out, but it’s enough to make squats harder in particular, and probably doesn’t help with the deadlift, either.

(Jake P) #42

The friend I am doing this with is super competitive, so he holds me to coming over, he’s got a nice gym in his basement, and when he doesn’t feel like doing it, he doesn’t want to be the one that skips, so that has been great.

I mostly hit him for some help with form and such, turns out he wanted to do it with me, which is nice because now I don’t have to fight over the squat racks at the gym.

(G. Andrew Duthie) #43

Very nice. Glad you’ve got someone to back you up.

Trying to get my son interested in working out with me. Wouldn’t help with my form, since he doesn’t have the experience to coach me on that, but it might help keep me pushing that little bit harder. So far, though, he’s not really interested, and I’m not going to push it.

(Jake P) #44

Thanks.

(eat more) #45

it could help with your form through teaching…you’d be watching his to make sure he’s safe which in turn makes you more aware of yours :blush:

(Jake P) #46

True. I have noticed this.

(yess) #47

Hi
I think you should try casien protein supplement because Casein lasts longer in your system.Not all proteins are created equal. Whether it’s soy, egg, whey, animal, or casein protein, they all have their own unique advantages. Arguably, casein’s greatest strength is timing. Casein has the ability to provide your bloodstream with a slow and steady flow of amino acids that could last for hours. Muscles may not be built overnight, but drinking a glass of casein-rich milk is the ideal protein to consume right before bed, as it’ll be more helpful throughout the night than any other protein option.

(Jeff Ryan) #49

Did you do a bit of self research if you got any gains from taking that supplement?

(Jeff Ryan) #51

Yes it’s quite expensive to buy so there isn’t much research if it actually works or not.

(Matthew Gibson) #52

hey guys~ another weight lifter here :slight_smile: .

Lots of experience with creatine/and other sups while NOT ketogenic so learning what to introduce back in now that i have a nice reading of ketones every day (usually blood readings between 2-3). I have this suspicion that creatine plus good sea salt + l-citruline + caffeine is the way to go pre-workout for extra intensity/pumps- I also swallow 1-2 tbsp of mct oil- because i fear losing my ketone levels due to insulin response… i’ve noticed that after on 3 days of 1 serving of creatine before my workout my arms have filled out similarly to how they use to pre-keto- and i still weighed 183lb this morning (16% body fat).

I’d just like your thoughts on what else you throw into your preworkout- or postworkout- what has affected your ketone levels- do you continue to lean up(lose bodyfat) while using creatine? my past experience when bulking not in keto was i would gain muscle and fat (been up to 225lbs, currently 183lbs @ 16% bodyfat (5’10). for example, i’ve seen people post that they use LIGHT CORN SYRUP before a workout because they say it goes straight to muscle glycogen instead of being processed in the liver… any truth to this? My goals are- reduce bodyfat and weight~~ to 175ish or less~~ maintain strength~~ and work up to 400lb bench.

Also interested in any communities where people share their success stories building muscle/leaning up while in ketosis… and overcoming obstacles etc… testimonials etc… i do listen to 2 keto dudes, jimmy moore, keto talk, and some ketogenic athlete podcasts

(jilliangordona) #53

MCT oil is going to be your best bet for pre workout, that’s my go to after dropping BCAAs and pre workout.

Granted, I am trying to start lifting in a way that is purely what my body is capable of with fat, instead of being assisted with caffeine and other stimulants, but that’s just a personal thing for me.