Supplements that kick you out of ketosis

supplements

(melissa) #1

hello, I was easily entering ketosis in June and July 2022. Then I started cancer treatment and was never able to get my glucose down enough to enter ketosis. At that same time I started taking a bunch of supplements. Last week I ran out of supplements (cancer treatment ended in Jan 2022) and lo and behold, without the supplements, I went easily into ketosis. It seems like it was the supplements all along that were preventing ketosis.

I take about 18 different supplements a day (about 90 capsules) and it’s going to be a bear of a project finding out which ones are the culprits. Does anyone have experience with this?

here are some of the ones I suspect. would love any thoughts or insights you can share!
vascustatin
reishi
San Qi
TMG
Grifolan (maitake)
iron-c
osteoprime
myomin
IP6
inositol
Agaricus blazei Murrill (ABM)

(Robin) #2

Welcome and wow… that’s quite a list!
I hope someone here can be of help.

(Harriet) #3

You’re taking 90 pills. Have you looked at the ingredients label to see how many carbs each supplement has per dose/pill and added that into your dietary numbers?

Even if each pill only has .25 carbs you’re adding 23 carbs from supplements alone.

(melissa) #4

thank you!!

(KM) #5

And the carbs may be from inert ingredients or the capsules themselves, rather than the active ingredients.

(KM) #6

Inositol is a carb. I believe it’s a sugar alcohol so “dirty keto” counting net carbs says it doesn’t count, but people have varying reactions.

I’d try an elimination “diet” with your prime suspects and see if you can get into ketosis without those, then reintroduce them one at a time.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #7

A lot of supplements have dextrose or maltodextrose in them, for various reasons. That alone might be the reason. Normally, the quantity is nothing to worry about, but it can easily mount up over 90 pills.

So two questions: (1) how many of those pills do you actually need? and (2) can you get the ones you still need in a sugar-free formulation? I’m sure you’ll be able to find at least some of them, though probably not all.

(Allie) #8

This is sugar so could be a culprit.

For the others, maybe check the additives and see what you’re actually taking.