Supplements? I'm confused

(Jessica Lavoy) #1

What supplements do I need for this diet? I keep seeing magnesium, but not magnesium oxide? And potasium but then some say it’s toxic. And there’s others mct ?I’m so confused.

(Amanda) #2

I’m new too, and interested in the answers that come in. I have started taking a multivitamin, Vit D, and potassium. I have an electrolyte powder by Naka that I use on really hot days, or when I’m feeling a bit “off”. It seems to help.

(Allie) #3

https://www.dietdoctor.com/low-carb/keto/supplements

I think the supplements are up to you based on your preference.

I am taking

• Perfect Desiccated Liver (for the Iron as I am anemic)
  • Pure Radiance Vitamin C (to process the iron)
  • Mag w/ SRT = dimagnesium malate, folate, b6, b12 (for the magnesium and folate)
  • Organic Chlorella (remove toxins)
  • Omega 3 (I want a 1:1 ratio of omega3 and omega6)
  • Smoked Salts / Himalayan salt (for the sodium)
  • MCT Powder (1 serving to morning coffee to feel full until 2pm)

I experiment with the supplements and see if I notice improvements when taking them versus not taking them.

Also have measured using the ketomojo low red blood cells when missing iron supplements (the liver) due to anemia.

I have potassium but do not take it everyday. I also was looking at adding D3.

(Ron) #5

Make this -

These explain -

(Jessica Lavoy) #6

Thank you so much!

(Banting & Yudkin & Atkins & Eadeses & Cordain & Taubes & Volek & Naiman & Bikman ) #7

You want a chelated form of magnesium. Magnesium oxide is acceptable, but many prefer magnesium malatate. I think I take oxide in my supplement.

Potassium counteracts sodium. It’s acceptable to take, but ensure you are getting adequate sodium. Like 2.3 grams as a minimum.

MCT oil is unnecessary. Folks like to blend it into their coffee for an energy boost. I’ve never tried it, and likely never will.

The fact that it’s not necessary is beside the point, in most cases, MOST supplements aren’t necessary but they fill gaps in our diet and provide countless benefits on many cases. MCT’s are great fats for us, help energy both in the beginning when people are battling keto flu and after the fact with physical activity, and raise ketone levels which can help most people feel awesome as many don’t get that alertness/mental clarity feeling outside of fasting. A good MCT delivers a great benefit to most people.

(Banting & Yudkin & Atkins & Eadeses & Cordain & Taubes & Volek & Naiman & Bikman ) #9

There is no health need for MCTs. It’s a bonus. So, not a necessary intervention. You’re welcome to take it. My interpretation of the OPs question was one of necessity. It’s clearly not that.

(Chris) #10

Eat real food. If something is wonky then ask about supplements.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #11

On a well-formulated ketogenic diet, most people will have no need of supplements, because their food will supply all they need, and in a more bio-available form, at that. Many micronutrients that have a potent effect when eaten in food, have almost no effect when taken as supplements.

That said, there are people with specific problems who may need to supplement something or other, but the rest of us are usually okay without.

(Jessica Lavoy) #12

For me personally I’ve always taken magnesium but it’s always been magnesium oxide my doctor put me on a while ago it’s supposed to help with migraines and I think she said something about helping to absorb other vitamins I needed but I’m only now learning that that might be contributing to my gut issues and it’s not the best absorbed so Sunday I got some supplements. magnesium glycinate 400 mg to replace the magnesium oxide 400 mg I have been taking. I also picked up some omega-3 fish oil and potassium capsules but I’m not going to take them whole because that makes me too nervous. I’m breaking them open and sprinkling a little bit into my water with Himalayan salt and tiny bit of lemon juice. I read that the MCT stuff is in coconut oil as well and I’ve been incorporating that everyday so I didn’t think I needed to worry about that so much either. hopefully I will start to feel a little bit back to normal soon today has been one week.