Sugar replacement for pickling

(FRANK) #1

Has anyone made pickles using an artificial sweetener like Swerve? I want to make a batch of pickled northern pike but make it keto friendly. Thanks.

(Michael - When reality fails to meet expectations, the problem is not reality.) #2

Why add any sweetener?

(Full Metal KETO AF) #3

@FGH I have made candied jalapeños with Erythritol, recrystalization issues. Depending on how much you are trying to put in a ratio with liquid, Erythritol will form crystals in a solution with more than 1:2 parts water. Allulose doesn’t do that. :cowboy_hat_face:

(FRANK) #4

Never thought about allulose. Will try that instead. Thanks

(Mandy De Fields) #5

I use pure powdered sucralose in all my pickling that requires sugar as well as any other canning. It works beautifully. No one who tries them even knows it’s sugar free :slight_smile:

I used Swerve and it worked for my refrigerator pickles I only put in a few Tablespoons though.

(Jane) #7

You need to be careful when substituting sweeteners for sugar when canning. If they are going straight into the fridge then no problem, but some recipes rely on the high sugar content to prevent spoilage which can make you sick if you plan to store them in the pantry until you use them.

Pickles are probably ok since low pH, but I was thinking more about jams if someone wanted to sub out the sugar.

(Bob M) #8

Am I the only one who can’t stand sweet pickles?

(Susan) #10

I don’t like them either. I don’t like pickles in general though, except chopped up if in a canned meat,such as tuna, chicken or salmon.

(Bob M) #11

I went to my wife’s sister’s place (in Sweden), and they offered me pickles. They were the sweet kind. I almost spit them out. I did not know they’d be sweet.

There’s a lot of sweetness to things I don’t think need sweetness, like pickles, pickled eggs, etc.

I have no problem if people like these, as there’s plenty of stuff I like that many do not (olives, anchovies, pickles, capers, etc.). It might be where you grew up and how you were introduced to things. I ate the spicy pickled vegetables, dill pickles, etc. Never had sweet pickled anything in the house.

I keep trying to get my kids to like olives, pickles, etc., but I can’t. On the other hand, they’d probably like sweet pickles, as they like anything sweet.