Sugar .. help

(Maureen) #1

:thinking::disappointed: I was craving sweets soooooo badly. I felt if I ate another piece of bacon Which I Absolutely Love :heart: i would explode…

to be honest on Valentine’s Day, I lost it… the raging battle went to sweets … but I promised I’d go back to keto after 24 hours… I’ve since bought and returned more refined sugars and starches than I can admit to… shame :disappointed_relieved:they have chased me down and knocked the crap outta me.

I think It started with stevia, monk fruit, Splenda etc… after that

I wanted a DOPAMINE TSUNAMI… and I was one irritable :rage: bitch until I got it.

Now, I’m a mess… I feel like I can’t eat healthy or unhealthy without a big bag of crappy. I was keto for 2 months when this happened on 2/14/19… serious demoralization…

(Carl Keller) #2

Artificial sweetners can affect our brain chemistry just like processed sugar and lead to cravings. Not only that, many affect our insulin and if our goal is weight loss, this is not helping. This is why I try not make and eat foods that mimic things I used to eat compulsively.

Remember that you were a sugar addict before you started keto and you were able to manage it with some success, so you can do it again. I would keep some pork rinds around to rinse your mind’s idea of sugar in your mouth, if it gets really bad.

Lastly, realize that you understand a little more about yourself than you did before and use that knowledge to make your future more successful. Artificial sweeteners are your keto kryptonite.

(John) #3

So - five days of a lesson learned. Healthy eating is a lifetime change, so 5 days won’t permanently derail you unless you don’t go back to what you were doing.

You had enough motivation to make a post about it. Start today and in a week or two you’ll be right back on track.

I decided to cut all sweet things out of my life - including the low-carb versions - when I first started. That seems to have helped me stay strict. Maybe that’s something you need to do as well, since you seem unable to control your behavior when confronted with the taste of sweet things.

(Maureen) #4

Yes thank you John… I just found myself crying… :disappointed_relieved::face_with_head_bandage:that’s how evil :woman_supervillain: my sugar impulses are… like an alcoholic… but I’ll try again. I know it’s the only way to beat the sugar addiction… NO SUGARS SWEETENERS OF ANY KIND… so far so good today … I had eggs with some crispy Parmesan … I need the support badly. Thank you again !!!

(Maureen) #5

Hi Carl, thank you for supporting me! I am like an alcoholic… I just broke down and cried … :face_with_head_bandage::disappointed_relieved: I feel so beaten. I used sugar addiction as a crutch and drug for my whole life… I’m scared that’s how intense my mood was when I couldn’t have it!!!

So far so good today… eggs with Parmesan cheese… I have to admit I was calorie restricting I want to lose weight!! I’m so habitually programmed to restrict my calories I fear the fat I fear the weight gain… oh hell, I fear everything… so thank you for your continued responses and support!!!

(PSackmann) #6

Be good to yourself and spend the next few weeks only focusing on your carb intake. Substitute fat when you have a sugar craving. I learned about taking a pat of butter with some salt, it works tremendously to reduce cravings. Avocados are great as well, again with salt. Make sure your meals are big enough so you feel full and satiated, that’s where the fat comes in. As you nourish your body and your brain, the cravings will go away.

(Maureen) #7

Thanks soo much for the response and support !!! Im feeling good today to be back…

I’m going to take your suggestion for today… I can’t think beyond that !!! My emotions are not in control I need to stay on the forum all day!! Thank you again !!!:face_with_head_bandage::disappointed_relieved::blush:

(John) #8

I decided to treat sugar like it was an addictive substance as well. Candy doesn’t derail me as bad as sweet baked goods (cookies, pastries, etc) which also contain other carbs like wheat flours.

In the beginning, when you are trying to break old habits and build new ones, it is especially important to stay strict. The old ways are still calling to you. The longer you can ignore that call, the easier it becomes. I can now easily go into a bakery and not be tempted, because the early rules I set for myself have become ingrained and automatic. No willpower required because the rule is in place.

Here’s a tip - mentally, replace the word “sugar” and its equivalent with “broken glass.” When you look at a label, you’ll then think “I can’t eat this, it has broken glass in it!”

If you’re tired of bacon, vary it up some. I eat bacon, but not every day, and not in huge quantities. Heck, you can have a salad for breakfast if you want. Today I had 1/2 cup of Fage Total 5% plain yogurt with fresh blueberries and walnuts, along with 2 eggs fried in olive oil. No bacon in sight. I had bacon and eggs yesterday. Some days it’s an omelette or frittata instead, with whatever veggies are on hand, or salsa, guacamole, and sour cream.

Breakfasts are easy, unless you get tired of eggs.

(Maureen) #9

Thank you again John… I planned a menu today without :bacon: yay! Bc I do NOT want to break up with bacon !!! :heart: But I know for sure sugars are out… I’m back on keto so far today. Feeling groovy :blush: