Sugar cravings all over again

(Aubree) #1

Last Monday, I broke my Keto streak.

I was a little under 4 weeks in, had lost 19.9 pounds, and experiencing a stall.
I got super discouraged that the scale was bouncing between the same pound. And then…Monday hit and I had had it. Between the stall and at the sudden hair thinning…I sorta jumped off the wagon.

Now its 7 days later. I have gained 5lbs in water weight, my skin is blotchy and dry, my hair actually feels worse, and literally every joint ever aches.

It was So. Not. Worth it.

Today I’m back on Keto…and the sugar cravings are eating me alive.
I forgot what a crack head I am with sugar!

“Just one more day. Just one more candy bar, you’re already out of ketosis, its not like it’ll matter this one last time.”

The next few days are gonna be rough.

Tips and tricks for avoiding sugar all over again would be helpful :slight_smile:

(TJ Borden) #2

You just experienced the biggest trick: knowing what happens when you go back to carbage

YMMV but I’ll tell you what worked for me when I first started keto and had to kick my raging sweet tooth, it was Jimmy Moore’s advice to “when you crave carbs, eat some fat”. Some people are rightfully against this advice because you should eat when hungry, not when just having a craving for food, but in the early stages it really helped me.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #4

Ah, sugar cravings! One teaspoon is too many, and a thousand aren’t enough!

One thing that helps me is this: I haven’t sworn off sugar for ever—the moment I were to ever do so, I’d be down at Dunkin’ Donuts getting my fix! Instead, I agree with myself to have all I want tomorrow, just not today. Sometimes I have to say, okay, I’ll have some in an hour, or in five minutes; the trick is to simply postpone disaster long enough for things to change.

Some slogans or mottoes that have also helped:

• Live and let live
  • Easy does it
  • But for the grace of God, go I
  • Think, think, think
  • First things first

(Roy D Rushing Jr ) #5

This kind of self-bargaining works pretty well for me too. I generally don’t give myself a specific time in the future that I can have bad foods on. It’s more like “You can have anything you want at any time, but knowing the consequences, do you really want it right now”?

I essentially just set up a bit of cognitive dissonance where I simultaneously am comforted by the freedom of being able to eat anything I want, but never actually do. It’s a neat trick that I’m scared to examine too closely lest it lose it’s magic. :stuck_out_tongue:

(Zenjen) #6

When i have sugar cravings i eat some strawberries with whipped cream on top. So i calm my sweet tooth while still eating keto.
You can also try other berries.