Sucralose Net Carb Content

(Michael Thomas) #1

Hi,

1st post :joy:

I’m 1 week in to my Keto diet and I’m using the Nutra Check app to calculate my net carbs per day which I’m keeping under 20g. I’d like to use Sucralose in some recipes but it appears to have a high carb amount when I input it into Nutra Check??? I’m nn a little puzzled and would appreciate some guidance on using the Icing Sugar version…many thanks for your help. Mick

The granular stuff has carb content because it’s bulked with maltodextrin if I remember right. It adds up pretty fast when baking.

This is the one I’ve been using for a while now

It’s the commercial concentration so 1 drop = 1 tsp sugar. Only thing to keep in mind is if something called for 1/2 cup of sugar, you have 1/2 cup of mass missing from your recipe. But you avoid the carbs. Another thing you can do it mix sweeteners to find something you like. For me around a 70% sucralose 30% equal / aspartame mix tastes like sugar in everything I’ve tried it in. There’s a TON of options and comes down to preference. Many of the sweeteners even the good ones taste fine in small amounts and weird and sometimes medicinal in larger ones. The best I’ve found in larger amounts by itself is Xylitol but if you’re not used to it it can weld you to your toilet.

(Michael Thomas) #3

Thank you…really appreciate your help.

(Karen) #4

I’m using the sucradrops , the bottle lasts forever.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #5

You might wish to try one of the other non-nutritive sweeteners. Sugar alcohols can be counted as roughly half the amount shown, whereas other non-sugar sweeteners can be ignored entirely. The really intense sweeteners, such as stevia, are cut with some other sweetener, to make them easier to cook with. But you have to be careful about the ingredients list. Maltodextrin is another form of sugar, which you may wish to avoid. Some brands of “zero-calorie” sweeteners actually contain sucrose blended in!

Another concern is why sugar is in the original recipe. If the concern is merely the sweet taste, then the recipe will be fine if you substitute a non-sugar sweetener. If the sugar is needed for its chemical effects, however, substituting a non-sugar sweetener will not give the desired result. For this reason, it’s best to use a recipe formulated specifically for the sweetener you wish to use.