Substitute for heavy cream in coffee?

Aroy-D coconut cream is a good option.

(Karen) #22

I’m not sure but I think it depends on the type of cinnamon for it’s insulin affecting properties, but it does seem to help with bitterness.

K

(Anne) #23

Macadamia nut milk

The old timers way of eliminating acid in the coffe was to perk it either with an egg (in the shell) in the the beans effectively hard boiling the egg while the coffee perculated or adding egg shells to the coffee grounds. I haven’t tried this yet but plan to. I know my mom did when I was a kid.

(Sarah ) #25

Scandinavian egg coffee seems to be how this is listed, on the Internet. It was devised as a work around for otherwise bad tasting stale coffee grind, it works but it’s hard to make it just right. Once you get the hang of it, it’s delish.

(Sarah ) #27

There is a version with whole egg as well. That’s how I was exposed to it. It’s a traditional way to serve coffee in Minnesota and that area. Of course, now it’s also been hipsterized. So there’s the coffee shop $10 version too.

(Beth) #28

Thanks for the tip here. I’m fantasizing about coffee because my husband and I just started AIP(autoimmune elimination diet) protocol that cuts out coffee temporarily. However, I am going to try this trick with my substitute, chicory & dandelion. Coffee will be the first thing we reintroduce!

I am of Asian descent where a large population has lactose intolerance. I am never formally diagnosed, however I have a complicated relationship with dairy - fresh milk (whole, 2%, no-fat) gives me diarrhea within 30 mins full stop. I have better tolerance with other types of dairy. I did a month without yogurt, and reintroduced it and got rashes around mouth, so now I am barely eating any yogurt nowadays. So far I am okay with hard cheese, butter and sour cream, using a similar test. Have been using HWC starting two weeks ago, notice a pimple around my mouth starts to develop, and it would heal and pop up at the same place again - how weird. Thus I am going to do the same elimination test since I take it quite often. Do you have similar concerns?

Oh wow, do tell! Do you mean that some store brought cinnamon would have hidden ingredients, or variations of cinnamon itself matter?

I started to add cinnamon to the brew and it’s delish! I am using ground cinnamon from morton & bassett from my baking stash.

(Karen) #31

Type matters a bit.

K

(Beth) #32

Thanks for posting this. I have been on an elimination diet (autoimmune protocol keto version) with my husband who has IBS and allergies. We haven’t been drinking coffee, but have switched to a blend of roasted dandelion and chicory. I found that by adding a little cinnamon, the brew has been much more satisfying and tasty. Now I see it may be helping us with some other things… nice!

(Ethan) #33

This

Yeah MCT oil powder, the Quest one is good.

(Ethan) #34

This never worked for me. It made me want to vomit actually. I can tolerate black coffee though anyway, especially espresso.

(Banting & Yudkin & Atkins & Eadeses & Cordain & Taubes & Volek & Naiman & Bikman ) #35

A very small bit of salt will correct the bitterness more effectively than sweetener or cream. It’s better to brew it with the salt.

https://altonbrown.com/how-to-brew-best-cup-of-coffee-at-home/

Not only does salt cut the bitterness of coffee, but it also smooths out the “stale” taste of tank-stored water. I’ve taken to adding a quarter teaspoon of kosher salt to every 6 tablespoons of grounds. That isn’t really enough to taste, but it’ll do the trick. And by the way, research has proven that salt is actually better at neutralizing bitterness than sugar.

AB’s golden ratio is: 2 heaping tablespoons ground coffee for each 6 ounces fresh water.

So, we’re talking a pinch or so for a 6 oz cup of coffee, or a quarter teaspoon for a Starbucks Grande, give or take.

Then bulletproof it as you like.

(matt ) #36

If you tasted salt you added too much. All it should do it cut the bitterness a bit.

(Luis Zeledon) #37

Thanks buddy I’ll try that tomorrow and see how it works

(DemiAshton) #38

I also can’t stand plain black coffee, and I get a little crazy with the heavy cream. I’ve had problems with acne, but I never thought it’s because of the heavy cream. Yes I know it’s dairy and dairy is bad for your skin but my addiction for coffee it’s too bad. Sometimes I can drink four or five cups of coffee per day, never plain, always with heavy cream or coconut milk. I’ve heard about Mushroom Coffee that has a lot less caffeine than normal coffee, but I have yet to try it. I also want to try the MCT oil powder, but it doesn’t sound too good, so we’ll see if it’s as good as normal heavy cream.

(Oliver ) #39

Right so this is something I have been thinking about for a while and have come the conclusion that coconut milk might be the best answer. That said have basically begun to vary what I what put in the coffee and while its maybe not be most keto friendly option I sometimes just put a small amount of regular milk in there (thinking it may not do any particular harm). Would btw be cool to test if heavy cream would taste good. Like heavy cream but have not put it in coffee so far… To be clear I dont drink several cups of coffee per day. Usually just one or two (max).

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #40

I prefer my coffee black. Under the influence of posts on these forums a few years ago, I tried it with heavy cream for a while and decided that black is better.

As I’ve pointed out in numerous threads, there are two separate issues with dairy: lactose intolerance and protein-sensitivity. Lactose-intolerance in adulthood is the human default, but there are at least two mutations that allow adults to digest lactose, one that occurred in the Maasai in Africa, and the other that occurred in Northern Europe. Protein sensitivities are more varied and harder to predict.

Personally, I don’t see how dairy in general causes acne (unless it might be a symptom of a protein sensitivity), since I use heavy cream and eat a fair amount of cheese. My acne is more related to the the amount of carbohydrate I’m eating, in particular the amount of sugar. It is certainly not caused by eating fat, lol! I suppose it helps that the brand of heavy cream we buy is sugar-free, and the cheeses we eat in my household tend to be aged cheeses with very little sugar content, so they are not contributing to a problem. For me, anyway; everyone is different!