Substitute for Bulletproof Coffee?

Hi all,

I love the keto meal plans, but as an avid black coffee drinker I absolutely detest the bulletproof coffee. Would it suffice to substitute an alternative meal?

Thanks

(Frank) #2

For me the bpc was as much a crutch to get through the first few months of this woe. It filled me up and kept me energized. After a time though it didn’t feel like I needed all that extra fuel and that it was holding me back from making progress. Since then I use it as a treat on occasion. Black coffee with a little hwc is my go to am drink now. Way less fat which allows my body to burn what I got still hanging on. You could try a fatty tea instead maybe or just eat some bacon and eggs I suppose.

There’s nothing special about BPC. Some people prefer to drink their calories. :thinking:

Drink your coffee as you like, alongside a whole foods breakfast.

(John) #5

Sounds horrible to me. I just drink black coffee. That’s my substitute.

(Allie) #6

It’s not essential. Skip it if you don’t want it.

Yes, I added 1 tablespoon of coconut oil & 1 tablespoon of butter and thought it was disgusting

Hi Frank, can you further expand on what you mean when you say it was a “crutch to get through the first few months of this woe”?

This kinda scares me lol. I’ve heard some reference “keto flu”. Does it literally wreak havoc on your body and make you feel sick?

(Allie) #10

Did you blend it or try drinking the oil slick? Blending makes all the difference but if you really don’t like it, just don’t have it. It’s only meant as a way of suppressing appetite so you can go longer without food.

Yes, I blended it.

(Frank) #12

The keto flu is just a period of time that some people experience when their glycogen stores are depleted and the body is looking for a fuel source. Most of us have relied on carbs for fuel for so long that our bodies have adapted to be reliant on that source. Others can chime in here but the keto flu is more or less an electrolyte hangover due to flushing of essential minerals that we would’ve normally held on to with a sad. When I say that I used bpc as a crutch, I meant that at first I felt like I needed to do it because that’s what everyone was doing. Once you are fat adapted, your body is able to take adipose fat and use that as opposed to dietary fat from things like bpc. I backed off on the bpc once I was confident that I was fat adapted (less hungry for longer periods of time between meals)

(Carl Keller) #13

I didn’t like BP coffee either. Every morning I have 16 ozs of coffee with 1 tablespoon of organic coconut oil, 1 packet of truvia, 2 tablespoons of HWC and a dash of cinnamon. Aside from a slightly oily texture that I did get used to, it’s pretty tasty and it gives me more of a brain boost than normal coffee does.

(Mike W.) #14

Substitute for BPC

(Vladaar Malane) #15

That is a gorgeous pic posted above.

Skip breakfast altogether if you like black coffee. I do, I drink 2 - 3 cups of black coffee for my breakfast. It in turn provides me a means of intermittent fasting by not eating my first meal till 11am. Unless your not ready to do that. You will be surprised if your fat adapted in that your typically not hungry in the morning though.

(Carl Keller) #16

@MiKetoAF… Just made some tuna egg salad for lunch… but now I want a steak! :stuck_out_tongue:

(Mike W.) #17

I was supposed to be fasting today :grimacing:

(Brian) #18

^^^^ This!

I really just don’t get the idea of BPC. I like coffee with cream. I like steak & eggs. I don’t like making things more complicated than they really need to be, plus, I like real food.

(Carl Keller) #19

You can get some important things into your BP coffee like Coconut oil, MCT and grass fed buttter. Loading up on all those fats early in the day can make going 10-12 hours without eating, very easy. After you blend it up, it has a nice frothy top to it, much like a latte… so it kinda feels like a treat if you were ever into Starbucks. Plus it makes it so that you don’t have to eat a ton of fat in one meal if you are on OMAD.

I don’t get into all of that but I can’t really fault the concept.

(Sergio Renteria) #20

Try green matcha tea. I put some ghee butter, mct oil , heavy whipping cream and some monk fruit drops.

(Mike W.) #21

Why would you want to load up on fats if you are fat adapted?

(Carl Keller) #22

I’m on my feet for 7-9 hours per day and CO is a great anti-inflammatory plus has other benefits. I’m just totally used to trying to get at least 100 grams of fat per day so I don’t get hungry. I really don’t know what would happen if I stopped this? If I don’t actually get hungry by skipping the AM fat, then great… but starting with Keto, this really helped me with not wanting/needing to eat for extended periods of time.