Stuffing/dressing, nearly zero carb, by ZORN

(8 year Ketogenic Veteran) #1

This recipe of mine is on 2KetoDudes podcast #92, The Thanksgiving Special.

One 3.5 ounce bag plain salted pork rinds, broken up into postage stamp size pieces. (Makes about 5 cups).
Melt one stick of butter, saute one half of a large diced Vadalia onion and 2 stalks diced celery until tender. Stir in 1/4 teaspoon white pepper and 2 tablespoons rubbed sage. Pour over pork rinds and toss in a large bowl. Put it in a small casserole dish and bake on a preheated 350* oven to heat through. Don’t overbake or it gets greasy and soft. It’s yummy. Me and @NativeKetoMan ate the entire dish between us one night! Ha!

Thanksgiving : not about what you can't eat, but what you CAN!
2KetoDudes Thanksgiving Special RELEASED TODAY
Keto Thanksgiving 2018
(Stephanie Tebbs) #2

Thanks Brenda!

@Brenda you just made my day! Thanks

(Jacob Wagner) #4

Any idea how well it would keep in a long car ride?

–Jacob

(Stephanie Tebbs) #5

I’m doing a test run today to find out. I have a 2 hour drive.
Made a half batch this morning to taste test and then wrapped the casserole dish with a few layers of foil and then a few towels and put it in my insulated bag. Will know in two hours how well it kept it’s warmth and flavor.

On a side note, I cooked a half batch for 15 minutes and they were more crunchy than I’d prefer. Going to try 20 minutes tomorrow.
The flavor is amazing, tastes just like stuffing.
Tomorrow I’m adding mushrooms, sage sausage and olives.

(Jacob Wagner) #6

I ran out of time, but I may make some Friday for my immediate family.

–Jacob

(Randy) #7

Making this today with added pork sausage! Doing a 7 lb roasting chicken with roasted Butternut squash and green beans!!!

(Stephanie Tebbs) #8

Added sausage and mushrooms and everyone loved it. There were no leftovers :cry:
Told them afterwards it was low carb and Family was blown away.

(8 year Ketogenic Veteran) #9

I did this to @NativeKetoMan, but revealed it when we taped our podcast. Lol

(Jacob Wagner) #10

How did it handle the drive?

–Jacob

(Stephanie Tebbs) #11

It had to be reheated when we got there. It was still a little warm but it tasted better a bit warmer.

(Louise Magarrell) #12

I made this for thanksgiving and added some of the drippings from the turkey and some of the cooked veggies from the turkey. Such a big hit. So so so good. Thank you Brenda!!!

(8 year Ketogenic Veteran) #13

I love stuffing / dressing. It’s so great that one can be made that is nearly zero carb and tastes this good!

(Mary Jo Koplos) #14

I abdicated my stuffing role this year so I wouldn’t have to taste/eat it. Going to bring cauli-mash and roasted Brussels Sprouts, but I think I’m going to try this recipe this weekend and may bring my own stuffing to the gathering. Thanks @Brenda!

(Victoria ) #15

I have to say I was skeptical about this recipe. I love stuffing made with multigrain bread and don’t love the flavor of plain pork rinds. But with sautéed onions, celery and mushrooms, herbs from the garden, walnuts, and lashings of Kerrygold, I guess you can’t go wrong!

I used the same mix-ins in both a pork rind and white-bread crouton stuffing (the latter for my non-keto spouse. And even though I overdid the cooking time on the pork rind version (30 minutes was definitely too much), I really liked it and the hubster preferred the rinds over the bread! Thanks for another great recipe, Brenda!