Stuffed Jalepenos wrapped with bacon

(Marianne) #1

My girlfriend made these as an appetizer last weekend and I have been craving them ever since. Totally keto and decadent. This recipe is a little time consuming but very easy. It’s worth it!

12 jalepenos, cut in half, seeded and cored
12 pieces bacon, uncooked
8 oz. cream cheese
1-1/2 c. shredded cheddar
1 clove garlic

Line large baking sheet with parchment paper. Preheat oven to 400 degrees.

With a fork, mix softened cream cheese, shredded cheese and garlic clove. Stuff each jalepeno with one tablespoon of mixture. Wrap each stuffed pepper with a half piece of bacon and secure with a toothpick. Bake for 30-35 min. until bacon is crispy. Remove from oven to cool. Can refrigerated and lightly microwaved to reheat.

They make and sell these sometimes at the tiny country store that’s closest to me. They use Anaheim peppers though, not as hot but a lot longer…

(Geoffrey) #3

In Texas we call those jalapeño poppers. I love them and can easily eat a dozen. I like to put them on my smoker.
I also like to try different stuffings such as shrimp or crab meat with cheese.

(KM) #4

Secret tip: the more seeds and white pith you leave, the hotter they are. Having a hot-adapted tongue makes them a lot less labor intensive! (So does using bigger Anaheim or banana peppers).

(Mike W.) #5

Don’t they call them Texas Twinkies there?

(Geoffrey) #6

I suppose it’s all in who you talk to but we’ve always referred to Texas Twinkies as a jalapeño stuffed with cheese then breakfast sausage molded around that and then wrapped in bacon. Then that put on the grill or smoker. It’s another wonderful delight.
Then I’ve seen where some will take that same Twinkie and do a non-keto version by breading it and deep frying it like a scotch egg.

(Mike W.) #7

Ah gotcha. I’ve always heard the first one you describe as an Armadillo Egg…lol

(Marianne) #8

I had eight of them for my dinner. So satisfying and rich that it held me all night.

(Marianne) #9

Yes, surprisingly they just had a hint of heat - just the way I like them.

(Geoffrey) #10

Yep, I’ve heard them called that also. Different names for the same thing. I’ve heard of people in south Texas calling what we call a burrito, a taco. May be a regional thing.

(Mike W.) #11

Could be. Either way, now I’m hungry with all this bbq talk!

(Bob M) #12

We’ve also made them by stuffing with chorizo or Italian sausage instead of the cream cheese. We make them in the oven, though. I haven’t used my smoker/grill for them.

My problem is that I eat too many of them. I can eat these and eat them and eat them… So we only make them for special occasions, like the Superbowl.

(Peter - Don't Fear the Fat ) #13

I’m ready for mine tonight … in the Air fryer. Adding more chilly.

(Rebecca ) #14

I’ll think about these all day now…

(Marianne) #15

Me, too. I’ve made them twice in the last three days. Gotta stop.

(Cathy) #16

I make these regularly but now that my backyard jalapenos are almost all ready for picking, I will be sharing the wealth with family!!!

I just ordered some Anaheim peppers…I blame this thread!

(Marianne) #18

You won’t be sorry. Totally keto approved and delicious.

(Geoffrey) #19

Now here’s a little twist on the subject.
I’ll definitely be trying this out.

(Robin) #20

Let us know how it turns out.