Studies showing Sweeteners that Raise Insulin Levels?

(karen) #41

My problem with erythritol, including Swerve, is that’s I absolutely hate the cooling effect. I limit its use to cold desserts. I have been using Lakanto brand monk fruit sweetener. Interestingly that has erythritol as the first ingredient followed by monk fruit, but it seems to reduce the cooling effect. But I have yet to fine a brown sugar replacer. I’ve tried allulose, but it seems a little bitter to me.

(Central Florida Bob ) #42

I’ve come to be alright with the cooling effect, although I never hated the effect so it probably wasn’t a long trip. I’ve never tried monk fruit.

I don’t particularly like Swerve’s regular blend because it doesn’t dissolve well in coffee or tea (my couple of teaspoons of erythritol a day). I guess it’s the oligosaccharides that leave a gritty residue in the cup. OTOH, for pure taste, I think the confectioner’s sugar and the brown sugar Swerve both knock it out of the park. I tried putting some confectioner’s sugar Swerve in coffee and it also left a gritty residue.

I’m thinking of trying glycine. From what I hear, glycine supplementation has some merits and glycine has a sweet taste. Whether it’s a good idea to be taking a couple of teaspoons a day of glycine or not, I need to look into.

(karen) #43

I was Li Soto a 2018 ketodudes podcast and Richard Morris was talking about using glycine as his sweetener and he thought it might have also lowered his fasting insulin. Very interesting.

I’m playing with glycine now. It is a bit sweet and the amount you’d need daily depends on how much other proteins you’re eating. I could reasonably sweeten 3 cups of coffee with about 6g, but then my sweetooth has dramatically decreased. I’m using it along with collagen pre-workput for connective tisuue.

Here’s a topic about what Richard did with glycine. I share his MTHFR status…

(karen) #45

Thanks you!

(Central Florida Bob ) #46

Thanks for those links.

I also have one of the MTHFR defects - IIRC, one leads to very large decrease in methlyation (70% decrease comes to mind) and the other to about a 1/3 decrease. I have the less severe one. A note I saved from SNPedia last year when I got the report says it’s referred to as 1298 or A1298C.

I have the hetero C677T, which is allegedly a -35% hit on methylation. Strange thing is, my raw data dose not include the other snp, so I don’t know how much more compromised I am than that. :woman_shrugging:

I use Methyl B’s and pay attention to choline also.

(Central Florida Bob ) #48

Did you ever read 23&Me’s take on the MTHFR genes? I just stumbled across this while looking at my old Promethease report.

https://blog.23andme.com/health-traits/our-take-on-the-mthfr-gene/

Despite lots of research – and lots of buzz – the existing scientific data doesn’t support the vast majority of claims that common MTHFR variants impact human health.

I experimented with methylated B vitamins and could find no differences in how I felt. I’ve run across references to people saying it made a difference in their lives, and can’t say the same. Just lucky, I guess.

Back to glycine, not too long ago, Scott on the Carnivore Cast interviewed Dr. Paul Saladino - a very technical, geeky interview. Dr. Saladino talked about the glycine-methionine balance and said too much glycine is much better than too much methionine.

Unfortunately, it’s a long podcast (90 minutes) and I don’t see how to get a quote out for you.

The bane of my existence! Also, YouTube as a source. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Thx, I’ll read up on the latest MTHFR thinking. I’ve been going largely by CMJ’s research on the topic. https://chrismasterjohnphd.com/blog/2019/03/01/start-here-for-mthfr-and-methylation/

I actually started supplementing with those because my mother was diagnosed with full-blown celiac disease long before you could buy a gluten-free anything. Knowing my MTHFR status made it seem more likely I have multiple shortcomings.

(Jane Srygley) #51

I am listening to Dr. Fung as I write this. I’m very intrigued by IF/EF. I decided years ago I couldn’t do it but now I’m thinking maybe I can and should!

I love that he is so focused on the issue of insulin as I think that his my real problem. Blood sugar is only part of the issue because I am constantly putting something sweet in my mouth, be it gum, sugar free protein bars or shakes, tea with stevia, you name it. I think that and the frequency with which I’m eating (every 2-3 hours throughout the day) along with the fact that I’m 56yo (Dr Fung says that old fat is harder to get rid of) are all factors in why losing weight has become so hard for me… Not to mention menopause :flushed:

(Jane Srygley) #52

OMG yeah that’s nuts!!!

(Central Florida Bob ) #53

With the exception of that one, I’m with you on most of that. :grin: I think I’ve got something going wrong and I need to try to figure out what. My Alternate Day Fasts (or 42-6 time restricted eating :crazy_face: ) doesn’t seem to be doing anything for me. It’s a bit of a story, so I won’t go into it all here.

(Jane Srygley) #54

I don’t understand what that means…

(Central Florida Bob ) #55

Fast for 42 hours eat for 6. It’s what my alternate day fasts work out to be.

Maybe it’s easier by example. On Monday, I was done eating by 6PM. I didn’t eat again until 42 hours later, which was noon today (3 hours ago). I’ll eat dinner tonight at 5:00 or 5:30, finished by 6, won’t eat again until Friday at noon. I don’t really eat for 6 hours - it’s just the “eating window”. I suppose I could, but I don’t have that much room.

(Jane Srygley) #56

Makes sense. Honestly that scares me a bit that you aren’t finding that helpful… I am thinking of doing a 36 hour fast to start and am really hoping this is really helpful for me.

(Central Florida Bob ) #57

I’m probably a bad example, so don’t get too concerned. Lots of folks succeed with IFs and OMAD.

(traci simpson) #58

I just listened to Dr. Berry’s FB post on this very subject and there are over 30+ “non sweeteners” that will trigger insulin. I think the goods ones were Erythritol, truvia, and I think one more that he mentioned…zylitol I think. These will not trigger insulin.

(traci simpson) #59

Dr. Ken Berry - “50 Shades of Sugar, Did you Know?” if it tastes like sugar it will raise your insulin levels.

(Eric - The patient needs to be patient!) #60

I think that is a good assumption for most of us.