Studies about the health impact of red meat and legumes & cereals?

(Bunny) #41

Grains (bread) will tear up your gut, fermented grains and seeds that may be a whole different ball game!

Chia seeds are great for constipation on a ketogenic diet if you eat a very tiny amount of them! Chew on a few seeds now and then and no constipation (like magic)!

OK, but your original post says wild rice is more nutritious than “meat” not “steak.” As for the rest of your reply, I’m sorry, I don’t understand where the answer to the question of how/why wild rice is more “nutritious” than meat is found within it.

(Bunny) #43

Eating the same amount of animal protein (muscle meats or otherwise) constantly or too much of it at once in one sitting (your still burning lots of sugar and throwing off your nitrogen balance?) will in fact decrease your longevity and e.g. create loose skin if you lose a lot of adipose fat.

That is just what the science tells me, sorry I can’t magically change those variables but emotion (following your guru) does not overcome common sensibilities!

There is a time to eat meat and a time to eat carbohydrates and adjust those balances, it is about balance!

(Todd Allen) #44

I appreciated the comments following the article.

(Full Metal KETO AF) #45

Which point out how weak it is. :cowboy_hat_face:

(Ken) #46

No.

I’ve never regained any fat in nearly 20 years. I can still easily lose fat if I choose to, it only requires caloric restriction and being hungry.

(Bunny) #47

Why can’t everyone do that?

Just because of diet?

Or

Individual body composition and diet?

(Ken) #48

I was always prone to be fat. I attribute it to quickly rising leptin resistance when following a carb based pattern. I was never a naturally lean person, even from childhood. The men on my mother’s side are, only becoming overweight once reaching Middle Age.

It was only by following VLCHF that I was able to lose fat and keep it off.

For Maintenance, it’s all about understanding how not to overcompensate Glycogen, while consuming enough carbs periodically in order to prevent metabolic issues.

This thread is beginning to sound like a “Body Ecology” oriented one. When I researched it several years.ago I was not impressed.

(Edith) #49

I watched this lecture. It was really fascinating. I wish this could be required for everyone who lives and has a say in what they eat. I wish my kids would watch it.

(bulkbiker) #50

Eat carnivore and constipation is a non event anyway

(bulkbiker) #51

Crap crap crap

Sorry but you are simply wrong whatever “the science” appears to say
 and as you well know the “science” is not “proven” on any of this stuff

(Full Metal KETO AF) #52

:men_wrestling:! Do I see a Carnivore vs “Healthy Carbs” battle brewing? :fist_right:t2::fist_left:t2: :joy::joy::cowboy_hat_face:

(Full Metal KETO AF) #53

Thank god for gluconeogensis without which we would die from eating KETO or fasting more than 24 hours.

Amen!

(Bunny) #54

Then how would you know “I’m simply wrong” if nothing is proven?

It is really quite simple, if you over-eat any type of fat, protein or carbohydrate and don’t lift weights or exert yourself enough in contrast to amount and/or type of food you are eating or get enough exercise; you then have to modify (diet) your eating habits to compensate for a sedentary life style.

There is a price to pay when you eat more than what your individual body requires.

I really want to believe I can flap my arms and fly but maybe I can make you believe it is so (eat this, don’t eat that?) even though I really cannot?

(bulkbiker) #55

Because you make plain statements designed to appear to be truth with no nuance.

“Eating the same amount of animal protein (muscle meats or otherwise) constantly or too much of it at once in one sitting (your still burning lots of sugar and throwing off your nitrogen balance?) will in fact decrease your longevity and e.g. create loose skin if you lose a lot of adipose fat.”

Is written as a statement of fact. Which as you well know it is not.
It is a hypothesis which has little to no “proof” behind it.

Maybe if you had prefaced it with “I think” I wouldn’t have got so angry

(Trish) #56

I hate incomplete articles. Says low carb which is subjective and doesn’t give actual amounts. Doesn’t give any explanation as to why the low carb group supposedly had higher mortality. Ticks me off.

(Bunny) #57

Which is in-fact a statement of ABSOLUTE FACT to which it would be impossible to deny, where you come up with this stuff I don’t know?

You must be one of the few people on the planet in which gluconeogenesis does not occur in the absence of carbohydrates?

Gluconeogenesis is proven cross validated empirical scientific fact and a low constant steady supply of endogenously produced glucose that reversed your diabetes which is great for therapeutic purposes but not long-term. If you want to reverse your diabetes without exerting your skeletal muscle tissue to build muscle then you can do it the sedentary and lazy way and just eat meat? Same with carbohydrates (i.e. junk food), you eat too much of it, then you have to eat fat and protein to repair the damage but that does not mean overeating fat and protein either!

Still flappping my arms to take flight because I want to believe in anything my guru has to say contrary to anything that resembles common sense in reality?

The long-term-life-long outcomes on eating only muscle meats I have seen all resulted in colon cancer deaths in almost everyone of the participants including its founder which may have been a iodine deficiency and/or lack of the mucin or mucus barrier in the intestinal tract which you get from resistant starches or various combinations of sugars/ carbohydrates in the diet but then again who wants to be a guinea pig?

If you think we were intended to eat only meat then you would not be exclusively and only producing amylase (to digest carbohydrates not meat and fat) in the salivary gland? True carnivores (animals) do not do this and have a highly acidic intestinal tract for the purposes of digesting raw meat in which human beings do not?

(Chris) #58

Aside from the studies being epidemiological, the results are tainted because the subjects are eating things other than red meat.

There’s a thing called “healthy user bias” at play here. Most people nowadays have a doctor telling them to reduce or check their red meat intake. The folks that listen to this advice, probably listen to the doc’s other advice too. Don’t smoke. Eat less processed foods, or snacks. Wear a helmet when you ride your bike. Get plenty of exercise.

It’s pretty common that you’ll get health nuts eating lots of plant foods and people who don’t really care or don’t think they’ll get sick eating lots of red meat. Lately that’s starting to shift in the other direction but there’s not going to be an RCT showing that any time soon.

(Edith) #59

I think this is not quite true. This seems to fit the “eat less, move more” paradigm which we know doesn’t work. Unless we are elite athletes and doing multiple workouts a day, we cannot exercise off extra calories. We know this because we cannot calculate our own calorie intake and expenditure accurately. With a healthy metabolism, our bodies regĂșlate themselves. We will naturally eat more if we exercise more and we will naturally eat less if we exercise less. It’s getting the healthy metabolism that matters. That gets hunger under control via the proper functioning of using and storing and re-releasing thebstored energy.

In “Good Calories, Bad Calories” Gary Taubes mentions that when insulin is high and fat energy cannot be utilized, people naturally become more sedentary. Once that high insulin is reversed, people have the energy to be more active. Obese people don’t become that way because they don’texercise or move enough. Their bodies being in constant storage mode results in less activity. The vicious cycle.

(bulkbiker) #60

So you know it will “reduce longevity and cause loose skin” do you?for sure?.. you have rock hard proof that will happen in everyone? Again you make a bold statement of fact which are completely unsupported.
I am well aware of GNG thanks
 as a carnivore probably more aware than you are