Struggling with carbs after holidays and a stomach virus

(Clara Teixeira) #1

Anyone else? It seems I just cannot stop sneaking completely non-keto carby snacks. Apples with peanut butter, fries, and popcorn specifically. I did fairly well over the holidays with just a few small bites of things that were not keto. But that triggered something in me that I can’t seem to stop. Terrible cravings for the above mentioned foods. Last weekend I had some kind of awful gastro-intestinal bug that made me feel very sick for 5 days. I ate maybe 3 meals in that time and just felt awful. Craved an apple with peanut butter so had one and suddenly felt much better. Now I feel like I am on a downward spiral toward the sugar roller-coaster again.
How do you shake this funk off? I have been doing this keto thing for 21 months. I should be a pro by now. :sob: I do it to prevent migraines and it has worked amazingly well. I am terrified of getting migraines again… but then there’s apples… I need a kick in the pants clearly.

(Carl Keller) #2

What did you do when you first started keto and had to battle cravings? I ate pork rinds or a few almonds or a boiled egg or two to put the cravings to rest. ANY keto friendly snack is better than french fries.

You’ve beat the cravings once. I know you can do it again. :slight_smile:

(Clara Teixeira) #3

I honestly don’t remember what I did. I remember there being lots of coffee involved and I felt awful for 3 weeks until I became adapted. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

Bacon and eggs!

I’m with Carl on the pork rinds – go with the regular or original flavor, avoid the MSG-laden flavored varieties. I also keep a jar of pecans (sweet tasting but only one carb per ounce) as a last resort, so that if I ever really can’t help myself, I eat a bunch of those instead of going off the program.

(Clara Teixeira) #5

I do have lots of eggs. I ate 6 of them today so far. I think I need to mentally slap myself every time I consider carbs. Need to be tougher.

Another mainstay for me has been hot tea with 1/2 tsp of sea salt (per 1.5 liters) and some cinnamon. I think 90% of the time I’ve felt tempted to go wild I’ve actually only been hungry for salt.

But don’t beat yourself up. Just indulge in some healthy fat, even if it means eating a few hundred extra calories, and move on.

(Clara Teixeira) #7

Good reminder about the salt. I know I have been lacking there.

I don’t think you need to slap yourself, just give yourself a range of choices available, such as having bacon precooked and stored for snacks, having extra ev oil or fat on anything you eat for the next few weeks, just have keto choices available and eat them when you are hungry.
Make sure you are not hungry at all. Eat enough or a little more til you are through this hump.
And avoid carbs except leafy veggies.

(Empress of the Unexpected) #9

Pepperoni! Pepperoni and mozzarella is an even better combo. Restocked on pepperoni today and it is totally addictive! I may finish the whole package by day’s end.

If I crave something I have to stay WELL away from it and find something else that floats my boat.

If I try to have it “in moderation” then it’s a bigger more painful struggle.

What also helps me is not only knowing all the positives of a keto diet - but the negatives of a sugar and wheat based diet. Robert Lustig puts sugar straight. William Davis cures notions of wheat.

The other big thing is a got a bit sloppy with keto and allowed some hidden carbs to put me out of ketosis - I did not realise! But I was doodling about with a blood analyser and to my shock it was only 0.3 mM. What?

(It was the amount of milk in white coffee from the cafe, my home made coffee is 1-2g carbs, they were putting 10grams worth of carbs. YIKES)

Once you get knocked out of keto then it opens the door to cravings. Recheck your food list, and then again using a different app or three! Maybe you were accidentally knocked off the horse and thus the cravings? The other mild hint I had was I stopped losing weight, but I’m near my target so thought maybe that was the reason … No it was the 0.3 mM ketone level.

(Clara Teixeira) #11

Thanks for the encouragement and great suggestions! I seem to have regained control. Just needed to tell myself I wasn’t actually hungry when the snacky feelings started. I popped salt under my tongue and chugged water too. Sometimes we just have to stop and evaluate the direction we are going. Ha!